Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #15
Navigator

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
Why can't it be a V8 hybrid? You get the performance of the electric motors working with the V8 and still retain the sound. Weight will be what they'd have to work to keep down.
By traditionalists, I meant naturally aspirated V8s. I'm sure even a smaller displacement twin-turbo V8 in a GT or SS would be controversial.

I'm also guessing they could wring enough power out of a V6 to make a V8 hybrid unnecessary, and there's the weight concern with that you mentioned. Look at what Ford is doing with the Ford GT and how much power they are getting out of that twin-turbo V6. Ford is definitely moving toward smaller displacement engines, so I don't see a V8 hybrid being too likely.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:55 AM   #16
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Uhh uhh..Camaro don't roll that way.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:00 PM   #17
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
It will happen. Considering the turmoil happening in the middle east which can potentially cause oil to be $100/barrel if it blows up. We'll be seeing a lot more hybrid vehicles in the near future. The question is when? My opinion is the 7th gen will introduce this option.
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:27 PM   #18
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I don't know about everyone else...but I'm really excited about all this stuff.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:32 PM   #19
Navigator

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I don't know about everyone else...but I'm really excited about all this stuff.
I really haven't been excited about electric technology until I saw this announcement. So far most of the electric/hybrid cars have either been lame (Prius, Volt, Bolt, Leaf) or just crazy expensive and unobtainable for most (918, P1). Tesla is polarizing but I'm not personally a fan of their styling or necessarily trust their practices.

This Mustang seems like one of the first obtainable hybrid cars that will actually be more enthusiast oriented and might be somewhat exciting to drive. I think it makes a lot of sense for automakers to start putting hybrid technology into their popular cars to generate some goodwill, like Mustangs, Camaros, M4s, and S5s for example.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:49 PM   #20
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Like others are saying, it's an inevitability.

This is a case of "trickle down" performance. Features that were limited to supercars wind up in every day cars. This is why a 6th gen Camaro can beat the pants off cars from a decade ago that cost hundreds of thousands.

All the engineering and research done to make cars like the McLaren P1 will find its way in some shape or form to $30-$60k performance cars. If Chevy doesn't get involved in that market, they will be left in the dust.

I'm sure the V8 will remain around, but it will come down to a philosophical debate of sorts kind of like the long-standing naturally aspirated vs forced induction debate. Do you only care about going fast regardless of what technology is employed?
Old 04-25-2018, 02:23 PM   #21
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Electrification on multiple levels is already happening. China is the world's largest auto market, by far. This is the big dog. The US market is becoming the tail that the dog is wagging. The major automakers in the world are developing product to sell in China. These same products will go a long way towards meeting upcoming emissions requirements in the second largest market, Europe. It only makes sense that companies selling product in China and Europe would push to sell the same or very similar products in the US.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:31 PM   #22
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Why not fuel cell
Old 04-25-2018, 02:35 PM   #23
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
Why not fuel cell
Fuel cell could have been the future in an alternative universe. All future infrastructure in our universe is being developed for EV. More charging stations going up than hydrogen fueling stations. Also less expensive more reliable EV's are already on the market.

Last edited by soloknight6; 04-25-2018 at 10:33 PM.
soloknight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:30 PM   #24
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
Until you find a solid renewable energy resource that can power all the electricity you're going to need for that many cars....this is a pipe dream.

I'm completely aware that ICE's will be slowly going away, and that's a great thing. However, it's not going anywhere in the next 10-15 years... there's simply no reliable power grid to put it on.

And before you argue that, look at all the rolling blackouts and problem the SW area of the US has with just heat issues for the summer time...and you're going to try and add thousands of cars to that as well?

I'm all for the performance angle....but aside from that...no thanks..
Pandora's Promise
Old 04-25-2018, 09:58 PM   #25
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
I fly race drones as a hobby and the maneuvers you can pull off thanks to electric motors would be impossible with a combustion engine power plant. Once you get used to the speed and power it's a total rush. Some of the newer cheap quads even let you set your altitude and just rip around.

No stop signs, no speed limits, no cops and where you're going, you don't need roads.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:16 AM   #26
Michael2000

Drives: .
Hybrids have been out for over 20 years. There are over 30 hybrid models to choose from. Yet hybrids still only represent 2% of the U.S. car market. The public has given electric powertrains a big yawn.
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote