Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 10-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #99
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ya boy willz View Post
Look at the very post you quoted. He discussed the practicality of the car, reliability, space/room in each car, engines, looks, suspension and rarity. This to me is an unbiased review because he didn't simply state the car sucked just because it was a Nissan and provided no real evidence. I don't agree with all the points but that doesn't mean it's not a good review.
I definitely realized what he said after the fact that someone called him out on the handling/miata comparison. I.e., he changed his argument to one that I would agree with. My only real beef was him going against his preference of being a better performer that he clearly stated earlier. Like it or not, performance for the most part is not subjective.

Quote:
Whether he places a bias on road courses, drag times, or even how many grocery bags can fit in the trunk is his decision. Every thing you say will have some sort of bias you should know this. Maybe I should have stated one of the least biased reviews v I really don't know what compelled you to start this useless argument that contributes nothing to the thread. Your were either very offended by me saying his review was unbiased or your trolling me
Not trolling, but I was just curious to why you would think that lol.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #100
ya boy willz

Drives: 2011 IOM LS, 2011 CGM LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
I definitely realized what he said after the fact that someone called him out on the handling/miata comparison. I.e., he changed his argument to one that I would agree with. My only real beef was him going against his preference of being a better performer that he clearly stated earlier. Like it or not, performance for the most part is not subjective.

Not trolling, but I was just curious to why you would think that lol.
Ahh ok, all is good now

2011 CGM LS- Injen CAI, Vmax Ported TB, Vmax Black Ice O'Lator, Carbon Fiber Bowties, Carbon Fiber Gills, Factory Spoiler, Stock SS Exhaust w/ Magnaflow x-pipe welded in & stock muffler delete, Miro 112 18x8.5 +35
ya boy willz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #101
smokingcamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
370Z is a very rare car for a mass production sports car in its price range.

It is fast but suffers the same fate as the v6 Camaro and most v6 cars, once you add full bolt ons (exhaust intake etc) it really hits a brick wall in terms of modding. From my experiences with V6s its harder to go turbo or Sc just because most V6s tend to be "maxxed" out from the factory. Of course there is power to be made on a V6 Camaro or 370Z over stock, but not much without extensive modifications.

The SS or any V8 in general there is way way more power to be made, more reliably, more easily, and cheaper.

So ultimately when it comes to performance the SS is the way to go. I wouldnt even bring handling into the equation solely for the fact that the 5th gen Camaro can be made to handle great. Throw some coil overs on your ls and while it wont handle as good as a 370Z it will get close compared to a stock one.

The biggest pros I can see are these then:
1.) Its more rare
2.) More of a traditional sports car (2 seats, handling, size)
3.) It will hold value over time compared to an LS Camaro (SS will be about the same probably in 10 years, compare 350z and 02 SS/Z28s)

Yeah thats about it though after that

Pros for the V6 Camaro/SS
1.) Looks (Both)
2.) Performance (SS)
3.) Comfort (Both)
4.) Aftermarket support (Both, way more 5th gen camaros sold than 370Z, time will tell though)

Keep in mind that the 370Z is about $10,000 more compared to a base V6 Camaro. Thus it should be a better car and overall it is. The problem I have then is that for what you are going to pay for it, you might be better off with the SS.
Wow You really put things in perspective for me. I realized driving home from work tonight that I do not want to ever get rid of my camaro. I do not know what it is about that car but it just does something to me that I have never experienced with a car in my life. Now I really do want the camaro ss but that is not in my price range right now. I took off my steelies from my camaro and now really love my camaro looks. I guess the newness has worn off but I tell ya I still smile everyday when I drive it. I guess what I really want is something that does not feel as heavy on the road and will burn tires when I hit the gas lol
smokingcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #102
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingcamaro View Post
Wow You really put things in perspective for me. I realized driving home from work tonight that I do not want to ever get rid of my camaro. I do not know what it is about that car but it just does something to me that I have never experienced with a car in my life. Now I really do want the camaro ss but that is not in my price range right now. I took off my steelies from my camaro and now really love my camaro looks. I guess the newness has worn off but I tell ya I still smile everyday when I drive it. I guess what I really want is something that does not feel as heavy on the road and will burn tires when I hit the gas lol
A mod a day keeps the boredom way!
Old 10-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #103
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
OP, your experiencing the same thing as me when pondering should I sell my SS and move up to a Vett. The Vett is a ligher car, totally different kind of performer, has pretty good looks, but despite all of that, I too cannot bare to part with my Camaro! I love this car! So, instead of getting rid of my Camaro, I've desided to just make it my work of art by modifying it to the level of performance that suits me, that way, no matter how much more money I sink into the car, I'll definitely get the performance aspiration and always have stunning looks.

I just look at what Peddlers did to an otherwise stock SS with it's setup, has their full suspension system, and I believe a procharger(530ish rwhp) with the basic bolt-ons(cai,exhaust, headers), and unbelievably, they claim it outperforms the CTS-V coup race-car(which is significantly lighter than a stock CTS-V) on the track and around a roadcoarse. So really when you think about it, it's not about what you can go buy next, because with the right amount of money, you can have whatever you want, its more or less about- keeping what you have and getting the most you can out of it given it's stock potential.

With that being said, hey if you want to keep your V6 Camaro, that's totally fine, who knows what you'll do to that thing in the future, because one minute your satisfied with stock, and the next you have mods flowing through your mind like mathematic algorithims. And you really don't know what YOU will end up creating with your ideas for your car. So if your going to stick with it great, at least you know it has killer looks!
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #104
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr CLuTcH View Post
OP, your experiencing the same thing as me when pondering should I sell my SS and move up to a Vett. The Vett is a ligher car, totally different kind of performer, has pretty good looks, but despite all of that, I too cannot bare to part with my Camaro! I love this car! So, instead of getting rid of my Camaro, I've desided to just make it my work of art by modifying it to the level of performance that suits me, that way, no matter how much more money I sink into the car, I'll definitely get the performance aspiration and always have stunning looks.

I just look at what Peddlers did to an otherwise stock SS with it's setup, has their full suspension system, and I believe a procharger(530ish rwhp) with the basic bolt-ons(cai,exhaust, headers), and unbelievably, they claim it outperforms the CTS-V coup race-car(which is significantly lighter than a stock CTS-V) on the track and around a roadcoarse. So really when you think about it, it's not about what you can go buy next, because with the right amount of money, you can have whatever you want, its more or less about- keeping what you have and getting the most you can out of it given it's stock potential.

With that being said, hey if you want to keep your V6 Camaro, that's totally fine, who knows what you'll do to that thing in the future, because one minute your satisfied with stock, and the next you have mods flowing through your mind like mathematic algorithims. And you really don't know what YOU will end up creating with your ideas for your car. So if your going to stick with it great, at least you know it has killer looks!
Exactly you are always going to want more. So what Ive done is bought a car that fits my budget that looks good. Since almost any car can be made fast you should get what looks best to you, and I think the Camaro satisfies that. The V6 can be made to be very fast, its just going to cost some money.

Once we get a solid turbo kit out the potential will skyrocket.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #105
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Exactly you are always going to want more. So what Ive done is bought a car that fits my budget that looks good. Since almost any car can be made fast you should get what looks best to you, and I think the Camaro satisfies that. The V6 can be made to be very fast, its just going to cost some money.

It depends on your priorities. If performance is higher on your list than looks and cost (assuming one prefers the camaro looks), the 370z is a much better starting point than the v6 camaro. If performance isn't a huge priority and you need some extra space and also prefer the camaro's looks, the camaro is probably the right choice. That's not to say the v6 camaro doesn't perform well for the money, it is just in a different performance class than the 370z in all aspects. For every bit of modification you put on either car, the 370z will simply pull further and further away. He just has to figure out which priority is more important to him personally and go from there.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #106
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Quote:

Good news! Its already been done! A buddy of mine sent me a link to this Camaro which has lighting done by AAC , AND.... it has an STS twin-turbo kit on a Camaro V6 with over 400hp at the wheels. A pretty impressive feat for a V6 if you ask me. And actually, they claim the kit is able to push out power on the V6 to about 620hp. Go check out it out here. Thank me later lol.

Quote:
620hp capable STS Turbocharger
Front-mount Air/Air Intercooler
STS Patented Oiling System
STS 38mm Wastegate
STS 52mm BOV

The complete STS Remote-Mount Intercooled Turbo System is an awesomely efficient method of turning your 2010 V6 Camaro into tire smoking V8 killer. With our system having debuted at SEMA 2009, we are proud to offer this system to the power-hungry enthusiast.

150+ HP Bolt-On Gains...Seriously.

A combination of our patented remote-mount technology combined with an intercooler provides the lowest consistent air intake temperatures over any other forced induction system on the market. Owners of otherwise stock vehicles will not only experience gains of 150 horsepower at the crank with only 6 pounds of boost, but also receive the benefit of increased fuel economy over the competition. The beautifully tuned exhaust note from an STS Remote-Mount Turbo System is sure to put a grin on your face as you accelerate past all those unsuspecting V8's.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
Old 10-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #107
8cd03gro

Quote:

Good news! Its already been done! A buddy of mine sent me a link to this Camaro which has lighting done by AAC , AND.... it has an STS twin-turbo kit on a Camaro V6 with over 400hp at the wheels. A pretty impressive feat for a V6 if you ask me. And actually, they claim the kit is able to push out power on the V6 to about 620hp. Go check out it out here. Thank me later lol.

Fueling is the problem that needs to be solved. The HPFP is maxed pretty quickly. Until then, nobody really knows the limits of the stock RA.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #108
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Quote:

Idk! Im so skeptical of anything Fi related with the V6 right now. I need dynos, time slips, masses of pictures, explanations etc lmao. From what I understand fuel is the only problem left and I dont see how these guys solved it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
It depends on your priorities. If performance is higher on your list than looks and cost (assuming one prefers the camaro looks), the 370z is a much better starting point than the v6 camaro. If performance isn't a huge priority and you need some extra space and also prefer the camaro's looks, the camaro is probably the right choice. That's not to say the v6 camaro doesn't perform well for the money, it is just in a different performance class than the 370z in all aspects. For every bit of modification you put on either car, the 370z will simply pull further and further away. He just has to figure out which priority is more important to him personally and go from there.
Well the 370z is a lot more expensive than a V6 camaro. Dollar for dollar once a good turbo kit is out it may be cheaper to get a base model and make it faster for the $ than a comparably priced Z.

Imo to be honest if performance is #1 both cars are bad ideas, like I said its hard to get a NA V6 going with FI, which tends to be extremely costly.

If its performance a 5.0 or SS is a way better choice. That or a new STI or WRX. Even those new turbo lancers are not that bad.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #109
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Quote:
Idk! Im so skeptical of anything Fi related with the V6 right now. I need dynos, time slips, masses of pictures, explanations etc lmao. From what I understand fuel is the only problem left and I dont see how these guys solved it!
Did you even goto the link or are you just taking ^ the above guys word for it? STS-Turbo produces a dyno chart and numbers, and it will even increase your car's mpg. Why don't you call them up personally, and ask questions, then see what they say! And get pricing on the kit! If everything checks out, that is your one stop and drop performance answer. Hey if STS turbo is putting out products which actually DONT work, then hey someone should call them on it. But I haven't heard of this.......just check them out.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
Old 10-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #110
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Did you even goto the link or are you just taking ^ the above guys word for it? STS-Turbo produces a dyno chart and numbers, and it will even increase your car's mpg. Why don't you call them up personally, and ask questions, then see what they say! And get pricing on the kit! If everything checks out, that is your one stop and drop performance answer. Hey if STS turbo is putting out products which actually DONT work, then hey someone should call them on it. But I haven't heard of this.......just check them out.
I might have to give them a call. I just dont see how the fueling issue was solved.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:36 PM   #111
8cd03gro

Quote:
The kit costs $6k and will be limited to a ceiling of about 400whp because of the fuel pump, and that's on meth. Until the fuel pump issue is resolved it's not very cost effective. The real test of the block will be when they figure out how to boost the stock pump or replace it with something higher pressure.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #112
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

I see.....
I also started following the STS Turbo thread in the v6 Fi section,....things got pretty nasty in that thread. Seems as if the STS-Turbo kit isn't complete, nor have they even ran it at all out full throttle to see if the engine can take it, all in fear of destroying the engine. Didn't know about all of that. I think they should have invested and bought they're own car, apply the setup, take whatever precaution necessary then let her rip. I mean, eventually you have to take the thing to the track and or a private road-coarse and see what it will do and if it will hold up.

Yeeeaaah,...until all of that is figured out, I'd just go with bolt-ons and tunes,...and if it's that serious to you, nos. Hey, it got some guy into the 12s with his v6 lol.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune