Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-24-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
chevy454

Drives: '69 Yenko Camaro - 11.73 @ 118
Differential strength/weekness & upgrades

Our '10 is getting an LS7 with some minor upgrades, and I'm wondering if there's any chance of the rear diff living with anything other than a street tire?
chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
IPS Brandon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS black
Send a message via AIM to IPS Brandon
It is still alive in our 650 wheel car that we have drag radials on. I fear though the clutch packs will be worn out soon, car runs solid.

Also unfortunately there are minimal options to this point for upgrades. RPM does rebuild the differentials with upgraded clutch packs which is good, but not sure on case strength just yet. We do know how ever that the drive shaft and axles will not live. The three bolts that hold the diff to the drive shaft are weak and will break with a good tire, even on a BPU car.

We are going to offer a chromoly shaft, and aluminum shaft soon. There are 1000hp axles already available.

-Brandon
IPS Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
chevy454

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPS Brandon View Post
It is still alive in our 650 wheel car that we have drag radials on. I fear though the clutch packs will be worn out soon, car runs solid.

Also unfortunately there are minimal options to this point for upgrades. RPM does rebuild the differentials with upgraded clutch packs which is good, but not sure on case strength just yet. We do know how ever that the drive shaft and axles will not live. The three bolts that hold the diff to the drive shaft are weak and will break with a good tire, even on a BPU car.

We are going to offer a chromoly shaft, and aluminum shaft soon. There are 1000hp axles already available.

-Brandon
Thanks for the info...our car is in Chi-town getting the 427, so I can't run out and look at it, but I'm just trying to think ahead. Are the diff to d-shaft bolts a simple replacement affair, or is it gonna take something special? Any idea on prices on the shaft & axles?
Old 09-25-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
jamesc1123

Drives: CGM 2SS RS w/ white stripes
Axles are already posted, price is $1850. Carbon Fiber driveshafts can run from $1400-$2000.
jamesc1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
PoleCat2SSRS2010
R6P Marketing Lab Rat

Drives: sometimes
I spoke with Brandon back on Wednesday and the drive shaft will be a swap but there is a required pinion flange change that is not for the faint of heart due to certain procedures that I think are required for a correct installation. He said he would check into the installation requirements. The flange he described will be a major upgrade in dependability and durability. So far it sounds like the right solution. I am going to stick with the chome moly b/c of past good results. I would prefer to install the axles the same time as the drive shaft b/c the I think the procedure calls for preload and torque measurements of the pinion and carrier but I am waiting on confirmation of that. I would suspect that this is to make sure that the load on the pinion bearings are correct so that it won't go on an early demise.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Multiple companies are working on solutions for the Camaro rearend upgrade. Just too early and it takes time. If anyone gets updates (myself included) please post them here. We do have a custom Ford 9" on the drawing table, but would much rather have the aftermarket come up with an affordable one for everyone to purchase.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:43 PM   #7
PoleCat2SSRS2010
R6P Marketing Lab Rat

I did contact Winters Performance out of interest and they have a Corvette style differential that is IRS and they have a Porsche style CV bell option for the sides to work. The real trick is getting it setup with brackets to fit in the car. They leave that to the owner/installer. I don't know about the size of it though since the quick change area of the unit requires some additional space, 14 inches from the centerline of the axle to the back for clearance. This thing is a brute from their specs. Yes it is a quick change rear end gear ratio set up, drive on 3.49 to the track, take 5 minutes and have 4.12. The price tag on it might scare off a few but when you consider the cost of a bullet proof 9" set up, it will be about the same.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:14 PM   #8
speedster
SST...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat2SSRS2010 View Post
I did contact Winters Performance out of interest and they have a Corvette style differential that is IRS and they have a Porsche style CV bell option for the sides to work. The real trick is getting it setup with brackets to fit in the car. They leave that to the owner/installer. I don't know about the size of it though since the quick change area of the unit requires some additional space, 14 inches from the centerline of the axle to the back for clearance. This thing is a brute from their specs. Yes it is a quick change rear end gear ratio set up, drive on 3.49 to the track, take 5 minutes and have 4.12. The price tag on it might scare off a few but when you consider the cost of a bullet proof 9" set up, it will be about the same.
Thanks for the info on the Winters. If it wasn't high HP and drag slicks/radials it would be a good option.
For those interested the IRS center runs around $2,800 at a place like RMB Racing.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
PoleCat2SSRS2010
R6P Marketing Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Multiple companies are working on solutions for the Camaro rearend upgrade. Just too early and it takes time. If anyone gets updates (myself included) please post them here. We do have a custom Ford 9" on the drawing table, but would much rather have the aftermarket come up with an affordable one for everyone to purchase.
Are you planning on keeping the IRS as part of the design?
I know that there are a ton of parts and gear ratios for this. The only trick is getting the mounting brackets and the CV axle set up to work. A 9" with a Strange case and a Daytona pinion bearing support would be the proven ticket to allow for some REAL serious power.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:03 PM   #10
speedster
SST...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat2SSRS2010 View Post
Are you planning on keeping the IRS as part of the design?
I know that there are a ton of parts and gear ratios for this. The only trick is getting the mounting brackets and the CV axle set up to work. A 9" with a Strange case and a Daytona pinion bearing support would be the proven ticket to allow for some REAL serious power.
Yes, want to keep it an IRS on the Camaro. Like I stated, there is one on the drawing boards with mounts, half shafts, etc; but a one-off is not the most cost effective. If no one else builds one in the next 2-3 months, this one will get the nod and withstand 1500 HP/TQ. Just have to see what the aftermarket does.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:59 PM   #11
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPS Brandon View Post

-Brandon
If you plan on sticking with the stock diff, there are options already available. Here's a link to Brandon's thread about it. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=929127
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:03 PM   #12
speedster
SST...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
If you plan on sticking with the stock diff, there are options already available. Here's a link to Brandon's thread about it. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=929127
This is true. Have been in contact with Brandon for a while. The centersection is the problem right now. The aftermarket will get parts out there in time...
Old 10-12-2009, 12:23 PM   #13
chevy454

Assuming we can get a set of the good axles, will the diff itself live behind 530fwhp/560fwhp and a 6L80+converter?