Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-21-2017, 10:44 AM   #15
EastsideJohnny

Drives: 2017 SS mn6-Nightfall gray
1ss vs 2ss

I'm a "bells and whistles" kinda guy. Went from a Chevy SS to a 1SS MN6 Camaro. In the end ya' gotta go with your gut. Good luck.
ps. The SS Camaro is a blast to drive!
Attached Images

EastsideJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:43 PM   #16
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Gonna need pictures of the Z28 for a more informed opinion
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:06 PM   #17
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
Look at every page on this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-upgrades.html to see what I did to the interior. There's ALOT of upgrades, even the Window motors are Corvette Window Motors (retrofitted because 4th Gen F-Body Window motors are slow and prone to failure.)

I guess... what is happening is.. I really love my Z28 but I am realizing to fully restore it and upgrade it (200k mile motor and trans / stock 10 bolt rear) I could easily buy a 6th Gen SS and come out with a more reliable car with a warranty and will still be just as fast. Yet my Z28 is a rare car, has T-Tops, doesn't look like its been beaten to the ground and a blast to drive and I have sentimental value because it was my college graduation present to.. ..myself.. The reason I bought my V6 1LT is because my Z28 just wasn't reliable enough to use as a DD until only recently.

I'll post photos of it when I get home, I blew away my phone so I dont have them on me right now.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:24 PM   #18
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post

Photos of the car attached.
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2017, 08:23 AM   #19
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
With the mods you've made to the Z/28, it looks like a keeper. Not likely you'll get all your investment back. Waiting until 2019 and selling / trading the LT would probably be the better move, unless you wind up upside down on that transaction. But, that's only my opinion.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #20
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
With the mods you've made to the Z/28, it looks like a keeper. Not likely you'll get all your investment back. Waiting until 2019 and selling / trading the LT would probably be the better move, unless you wind up upside down on that transaction. But, that's only my opinion.
Yeah, I definately don't wanna get rid of the Z28. I suppose waiting will be fine..

On a side note, according to KBB my 1LT V6 has somehow depreciated $10,000 in less than 1 year! (17k miles and purchased December 31st 2016, MSRP right at $30k, current value $19k)

I'm hoping this isn't 100% the case.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:09 PM   #21
silstream

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Hopefully you didn't pay full MSRP (with rebates etc. available) so better to compare against what a new MY 2017 is available for today (approx. $24K for 1LT V6) to get a truer view of depreciation...
silstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:08 AM   #22
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
There are things you love about both cars. You will regret it if you sell, trade one or both of them. Upgrade your LT1 V6 so that you will love it even more. Upgrade the wheels and tires and exhaust. I got a 2LT V6 RS with a sun roof and love it for the same reasons you love yours- gas mileage, regular gas, etc. But what I love most about mine is that it came with a 20 inch aftermarket wheel option- it has Adventus black wheels with 35 series tires. it sold me on the car and why i choose the car I bought over all the other ones on the lot. And for the V8 rush- you have your Z28- just like I have an old C4 Corvette- my once a week take it out to hear the V8- it satisfies the V8 desire. And you still have a nice commuter for work that gets you good gas mileage and is fun to drive- just like my RS. I also get mileage reimbursement for one or two days travel to another facility and with the RS it's so fuel efficient over my past 2011 SS, i make enough to pay my gas for the entire week of commuting!
JT58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:35 AM   #23
Skerj

Drives: 2016 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
The interior of the Z28 is awesome. Regardless of what you do for the 6th gen, I'd say keep the 4th. As far as the 6th gens, that seems like a tougher choice. As a non owner, I intend to go SS, but the V6 has it's economical benefits.
Skerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #24
Need4Camaro

Well a month later and I still can't make up my mind. My Z28 needs a transmission rebuild as well, second gear is slipping. I had a desire to build a project 700 HP ZL1 killer out of it. Basically a forged Magnacharged LQ4 with heads and a cam with full suspension mods, a TCI 6 speed auto 4L80E (yes, I DID mean 6 speed auto in the 4L80E, special transmission by TCI), 8.8" Rear and 3.55 final drive ... I can do most of the work myself, asside from the cutting necessary for the S/C install. But everytime I see that SS.. damn... I just don't know...

Thing is my V6 makes amazing fuel mileage and I love how I never have to worry about gas with it and 87 octane is about $0.50 to $0.60 cheaper per gallon for it here. I may sound sleezy but this is a DD (and my 4th Gen is NOT a DD) - Another issue is, lately (after the Hurricanes) the only gas available locally was regular octane.. The SS will require me to trade my V6 but I can put a large down payment and have payments even lower than my V6 and ride pretty comfortably and slowly upgrade the Z28 as well..The thing is I'm not really demanding more power out of my V6, it's more than quick enough on the street and currently is faster than my LS1 with a slipping 2nd Gear :P .. What is urging me to the SS isn't exactly the power, although that definitely is a plus and something I look forward to, but the fact that I settled for a hard top and a base model when I wanted leather and a sunroof. but I love the reverse mo-hawk too.. ugh..cant make up my mind. I know I could get those features on a 2LT V6, but don't see the point of making such a small upgrade when I can cure all 3 desires in 1.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:34 PM   #25
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Tough choice. Its possible many people here don't realize all the work that you've put into the Z28 to update the interior and bring modern features to it. Love the fact that you put a GPS, location monitor, and fuel cutoff into it. Heck man, you had that interior completely stripped down. For me, that kind of work would be hard for me to just let go, unless the intention right from the start was to fix it up and sell at a profit, but I don't think that's what you had in mind.

I think the Z28 looks great, and is an eye catcher. The wheels aren't for me, but that's just my tastes...who cares what I think lol. I dunno, if I was in your shoes I might lean towards keeping the Z28, and then just upgrading the look and exhaust on the 2017 V6. Maybe you don't need to build some "700 HP" monster out of the Z28. The last thing you want to do is build it up so crazy that it becomes a maintenance obligation just to keep running correctly. Maybe just consider dropping something like an LS3 with that upgraded transmission and rear end and push 450 - 500 HP n/a and call it a day?

In the end, you just have to make a choice and stick with it, and be happy no matter what. Keep a nice quick efficient daily driver while also owning something rare that you built up yourself? Or trade it all in on the new modern marvel that you crave so much? Not sure any of us can help you with that.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:29 PM   #26
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Keep the V6 and that wicked F Body. Wish I had kept my Z28. They don't make them like that anymore.

And the LGX is awesomeness
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:59 PM   #27
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
I was in a similar boat in March. Had 3 Camaros; '87 IROC, supercharged '10 2LT, '14 2LT convertible. I tried making the numbers work to keep all 3 and add a gen 6 but was just too much cash tied up in cars. Debated letting the IROC go but, like you, I've got a ton into that car and it'd be difficult to replace. Ended up trading in the '10 towards the '17 and haven't looked back.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:20 PM   #28
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
I'd wait another year before you make any decisions. The A10 is bound to find its way into the Camaro and that will make the regular SS V8 even faster.

Another thing to consider is that if you sell the Z28, you will be down one car. Personally, I'd rather have two slightly slower cars than one really fast car. What if something happens to the one car like warranty work or down time if you're modding it? Your ability to get around will be severely compromised.

Since they're not making '99 Z28's anymore, you may be kicking yourself in the future for selling it.

Back in 2015, I could've stepped up to a V8 if I sold my '89 Trans Am GTA, but I decided to keep it. I knew finding another GTA would be next to impossible to find in the condition and options that mine has.

If you still need to be 1 second quicker in the 1/4 mile, then save some more and just get the ZL1. Why half-step it just to get an SS? Go for broke and get your dream car. If you have to sell the both of them, which is what you're kinda thinking about, get a ZL1.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote