Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-05-2017, 04:12 PM   #71
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Up here you just have to ask when the radar gun was last calibrated. If it's been longer than x amount of time, the ticket is thrown out. I don't remember the time frame I'll have to double check on that. Had a judge throw one out when they said the calibration date.
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:37 PM   #72
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper85 View Post
Up here you just have to ask when the radar gun was last calibrated. If it's been longer than x amount of time, the ticket is thrown out. I don't remember the time frame I'll have to double check on that. Had a judge throw one out when they said the calibration date.
Hey, Barrie Ontario! I used to stay in your town when doing business in Midland, because the one hotel up there sucked so much.

Your town has some good eats, too.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:04 PM   #73
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
Courts are strange and magical lands where anything can happen, but I never once lost a speeding ticket while using instant on.
Thank you for your service in protecting our great nation.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:22 PM   #74
Drew66

Drives: Black Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
Courts are strange and magical lands where anything can happen, but I never once lost a speeding ticket while using instant on.

I've had folks argue against the radar, against my certifications, that I wasn't wearing my hat when I issued the ticket (yes, seriously), and never lost one.
sm0:

Interesting! It would seem that Law enforcement would use that as the preferred method. What percentage (in your estimate) is it used?

I haven't had a ticket in a while, but I usually hope for the DA to offer a plea and take it. I always assume the judges are smart and can see through the BS.

Thank you for your reply.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Drew66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:45 PM   #75
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
My cruise control is always set at 10-15 over, traffic allowing. I'm just trying to avoid that stupid ticket for 82 in a 65 and avoid that "other possible ticket" when the rare occasion of the side by side vehicle admiration and comparison occurs.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:34 PM   #76
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Ohio must have given the troopers a bunch of money for new equipment. Last week on 71 from Cincinnati to Cleveland there was at least a half dozen cops shooting LIDAR... which usually you hardly ever encounter LIDAR.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:53 PM   #77
BehindBlueI's

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew66 View Post
Interesting! It would seem that Law enforcement would use that as the preferred method. What percentage (in your estimate) is it used?

I've no idea the percentage, but it's the best practice. It also depends on a given agency's focus on traffic.

For my department, patrol is not automatically radar certified nor issued a radar. You had to volunteer for the training, get approved, and then pass the course. It was not a difficult course, but there is basic math such as calculating averages for a speed survey, using a timer and distance (ie, a stop watch and calculating speed based on a known distance) etc. and the ability to learn to visually estimate speed. The basic class certified you for to use visual estimation, the stop watch method, and stationary radar. The level 2 class would add on moving radar, but I never took it. The basic class was a 2 or 3 day class plus practicals.

Then, the district HQ had 2 hand held radar guns you could sign out for the day. You could also buy your own and have the dept. certify it. I elected to just buy my own because I worked construction and school zone enforcement for over time.

So, as you can see, the vast majority of my department (about 1600-ish sworn officers) don't have a radar or the training to use one. Only our Traffic guys have laser, and I don't know anything about it. Compare that to State, where every road trooper has a radar or laser and is trained to use all the various methods.

Now that I've written a much too long response to tell you I can't give you percentages, I can tell you how stationary radar is supposed to be ran, at least as I was trained.

1) The basics of using tuning forks to verify equipment, noting it in your log, selecting a location, etc.

2) "Speed survey" - visually estimate and radar 10 or more vehicles. This accomplishes two things. It acclimates you to the speed your watching for and it gives you a log of the average speed of traffic at the time. If everyone is running 5 over, maybe give guys another 5 mph of leeway.

3) Observe traffic. Using the visual estimation, when you see someone that you estimate to be in your window for enforcement (say, 13 mph over), hit them with the radar (the "instant on"). If the radar and your estimate were close (I shot for +/-3 mph but the class allowed for +/-5 mph to still get your certification), you've got a winner. Initiate the stop. There are exceptions to the +/- 3. If someone is going REALLY fast, like 80 mph in a 45, it's tough to estimate their exact speed but it's easy to say...yup, they are going way too fast.

I don't know that I could still do the visual estimate without getting back into practice. I've not written a ticket in nearly 5 years, and like I said I don't even have a ticket book any longer. I'm a major felony detective these days, so I don't get to play in traffic...

**edit** there's also more ways to verify the radar is working right, the tone it makes needs to sound a certain way so you know you're getting approaching vs receding, etc. Beyond the scope, but radar does take more training than "Squeeze trigger, read number" to do correctly. Not to say there aren't poorly trained and poorly equipped guys out there, but that's also beyond the scope of this post.
BehindBlueI's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:03 PM   #78
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post

Radar detectors ARE ILLEGAL in Virginia state, Washington DC, and on all military bases. And yes, there are such things as radar detector detectors so I wouldn't suggest trying to be sneaky....
All out defence with 0 offence, might work in some sports as a strategy, as it involves running out the clock...

If you are going to dedicate yourselves to all of this kaos and mayhem, then for the love of God man, slap yourselves silly and do it right.

Step número 1.

Radar Jammer.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:15 PM   #79
Iron Lung Jimmy

Using a radar jammer is a federal offense in the U.S. ... so bad idea.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:22 PM   #80
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Using a radar jammer is a federal offense in the U.S. ... so bad idea.
Go tell that to a pop U.S. based lazer jammer forum as Intro, report back.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:36 PM   #81
BlkCamaroVert

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99 Vert IO Interior
I find the WAZE app works far better than a detector and it's free.
BlkCamaroVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:24 PM   #82
Iron Lung Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Go tell that to a pop U.S. based lazer jammer forum as Intro, report back.
Not sure I understand your point.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:31 PM   #83
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
It's simple. There's lawyers that will scrap tickets for you. Sure you'll pay, but it doesn't go against you. Many times they payoff LEO not to show up to court and you don't have to show up either (providing you hired an attorney and he told you you didn't have to show) and it's out the window.

2nd way is to call the DA's office and ask what can you do to keep tux off your record? Tell em who you are, 9/10 they'll say pay the ticket and no record.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:33 PM   #84
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCamaroVert View Post
I find the WAZE app works far better than a detector and it's free.
Absolutely! On my way back from work there was 6 LEOs it showed I was coming up to and this was updated 7min ago on the app. I was several miles away.

But as one guy said. If you live in a small farm town in bumfvck egypt waze won't do you any good. It's for large cities or populated roads and interstates.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote