Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-05-2017, 08:34 PM   #85
BlkCamaroVert

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99 Vert IO Interior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
It's simple. There's lawyers that will scrap tickets for you. Sure you'll pay, but it doesn't go against you. Many times they payoff LEO not to show up to court and you don't have to show up either (providing you hired an attorney and he told you you didn't have to show) and it's out the window.

2nd way is to call the DA's office and ask what can you do to keep tux off your record? Tell em who you are, 9/10 they'll say pay the ticket and no record.
And if you have AAA they pay the legal fees!
BlkCamaroVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:36 PM   #86
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCamaroVert View Post
And if you have AAA they pay the legal fees!
Never heard that one but you're paying AAA monthly right? So in a yr if you only got 1 ticket, and they pay it avg $200 a ticket; you probably paid about $1000-1200 a yr for AAA lol so is that worth it? Considering AAA is about $100 a month. idk?

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:44 PM   #87
ndnashlenz

Drives: 2019 1SS Crush, 2017 Corolla White
Ive heard that if you use a jammer on a lidar the cop will pull you over, even though he doesn't have the speed you were traveling at. Its the fact that it was jammed which can result in a hefty fine or jail time. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:02 PM   #88
Wizard1183

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnashlenz View Post
Ive heard that if you use a jammer on a lidar the cop will pull you over, even though he doesn't have the speed you were traveling at. Its the fact that it was jammed which can result in a hefty fine or jail time. Correct me if I'm wrong.
BS. Maybe in states like Cali or Virginia where everything is against the law? But most part, jammers are perfectly legal. And I assume if you're the only one on the road and he's hitting you with LIDAR and you jam it? What's he stopping you for unless he knows you're doing about 100+? He has no proof of there sppeed you were going? It wouldn't hold up in court. "Yea, he used a jammer so I couldn't tell his speed but my calculation he was doing "about" ....mph."

Lawyer up and you won!

And the REALLY good jammers? They're installed in the bumper and he won't be looking at the front of your car to see it installed. He may pull you over and ask what you were using? I'd tell him, nothing! I was doing the speed limit. Is there a problem you pulled me over?

Old 01-05-2017, 09:27 PM   #89
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Radar detector fail

Back in the early 80's a bunch of us were going up to Road America.

One of the new guys in the group asks me what time I'm leaving and tells me how he's going to leave later and still beat me there. I said I don't care, I have the wife and kids in a station wagon, we stop for breakfast, I'm in no hurry.

But when you get close and you see the RA billboard you will crest a hill and there is always a radar trap there. Like one car in the median and five chase cars serious.

Oh, I'm not worried, I have detector he replies. I said okay, but just so you know.

Sure enough he flies past us. Ten minutes later we spot him on the shoulder after the billboard, and we wait at least half-an-hour for him to show up at the track. $200+ fine.

All that hurry gone to waste
Old 01-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #90
ndnashlenz

Drives: 2019 1SS Crush, 2017 Corolla White
Quote:
BS. Maybe in states like Cali or Virginia where everything is against the law? But most part, jammers are perfectly legal. And I assume if you're the only one on the road and he's hitting you with LIDAR and you jam it? What's he stopping you for unless he knows you're doing about 100+? He has no proof of there sppeed you were going? It wouldn't hold up in court. "Yea, he used a jammer so I couldn't tell his speed but my calculation he was doing "about" ....mph."

Lawyer up and you won!

And the REALLY good jammers? They're installed in the bumper and he won't be looking at the front of your car to see it installed. He may pull you over and ask what you were using? I'd tell him, nothing! I was doing the speed limit. Is there a problem you pulled me over?

Apparently in the red states its illegal? I only ask because I live in Texas I hear things like this happening from time to time.

http://www.guysoflidar.com/usa-laser-jammer-laws.html
Old 01-05-2017, 10:08 PM   #91
alrock

Drives: 2015 Camaro Convertible 2SS RS
My answer is that radar detectors have helped me not get pulled over and I've also been pulled over with a radar detector in use. I've always been able to pull down the detector and not have it noticed, either with nighttime or tinted windows. Been pulled over about eight or ten times in last eighteen years, no tickets.

Like has been said, it's just a tool, not a bulletproof vest. I think it's saved me from being pulled over a few times.
alrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:30 PM   #92
BehindBlueI's

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Many times they payoff LEO not to show up to court
I'd be real surprised if "many times" someone was risking their career and felony charges to get a couple bucks to not show up to court.

Quote:
Lawyer up and you won!
In most states, it's a civil trial. The preponderance of the evidence wins. The prosecution does not need to get to "beyond a reasonable doubt" like a criminal trial. If I get on the stand and say you did it, and you don't testify to refute me...that's at least 51% you did it.

What you are correct on is you can often pay to keep it off your record, within limits. Diversion plans, "safe driver options", or pleading down to equipment violations are the most common.
BehindBlueI's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:40 PM   #93
warnerwh

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Just a side note. Most radar detectors detect laser which the manufacturers like to bring up. Odds are about a thousand to one that a radar detector that detects laser will protect you from a lidar gun. You have to pick up some scatter from the laser beam and as I said it's extremely unlikely. A lidar gun fires a small beam, unlike radar which emits a very large beam, and the LEO knows exactly which car he/she is aiming at. He pulls the trigger or button and has your speed in a couple of seconds. If your detector goes off alarming you of laser you might as well get ready to pull over cause you're going to get a ticket. Radar detectors are only one layer of protection and only the better ones are worth buying. Lidar guns are becoming more and more prevalent too.
warnerwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:47 AM   #94
Wizard1183

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
I'd be real surprised if "many times" someone was risking their career and felony charges to get a couple bucks to not show up to court.
Since when is speeeding a felony? There's no risk involved. You think Leo has to show up to court? They work FOR the system. Now perhaps your right and it's not many times this happens. If that's the case? Your lawyer padded the judge or DA to drop it to non moving violation.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:52 AM   #95
Wizard1183

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnashlenz View Post

Apparently in the red states its illegal? I only ask because I live in Texas I hear things like this happening from time to time.

http://www.guysoflidar.com/usa-laser-jammer-laws.html
Well I wasn't aware it was illegal in TX. I knew Louisiana it wasn't. But I was spot on about Cali and Va!

But my question to you is why the hell do you need that in Tx? Houston if you're not doing 80+mph you're gonna get the run over! Speed limits are minimum 75mph there unless in a small town or something. And TX tickets are MUCH cheaper than Loa. One ticket for almost 20 over cost about $125 in TX used to anyway and La it's $2-300 lol

Use waze app. You'll be good to go and it's free!

Last edited by Wizard1183; 01-06-2017 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:44 AM   #96
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Hey, Barrie Ontario! I used to stay in your town when doing business in Midland, because the one hotel up there sucked so much.

Your town has some good eats, too.
Great selection of food. Driving to midland is nice, great roads. If your ever in town hit me up.
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:49 AM   #97
BehindBlueI's

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Since when is speeeding a felony? There's no risk involved. You think Leo has to show up to court? They work FOR the system. Now perhaps your right and it's not many times this happens. If that's the case? Your lawyer padded the judge or DA to drop it to non moving violation.
A lawyer paying off a cop to not show up to court and the cop accepting are both committing felonies. The lawyer would be disbarred, the cop fired and basically unemployable in law enforcement from that point on.

See relevant codes, edited to reflect the applicable portions:

IC 35-44.1-2-2
Obstruction of justice
Sec. 2. (a) A person who:
(1) knowingly or intentionally induces, by threat, coercion, false
statement, or offer of goods, services, or anything of value, a
witness or informant in an official proceeding or investigation
to:
(A) withhold or unreasonably delay in producing any
testimony, information, document, or thing;
(B) avoid legal process summoning the person to testify or
supply evidence; or
(C) absent the person from a proceeding or investigation to
which the person has been legally summoned;
....commits obstruction of justice, a Level 6 felony

IC 35-44.1-1-2
Bribery
Sec. 2. (a) A person who:
(1) confers, offers, or agrees to confer on a public servant,
either before or after the public servant becomes appointed,
elected, or qualified, any property, except property the public
servant is authorized by law to accept, with intent to control the
performance of an act related to the employment or function of
the public servant or because of any official act performed or to
be performed by the public servant, former public servant, or
person selected to be a public servant;
(7) being a witness or informant in an official proceeding or
investigation, solicits, accepts, or agrees to accept any property,
with intent to:
(A) withhold any testimony, information, document, or
thing;
(B) avoid legal process summoning the person to testify or
supply evidence; or
(C) absent the person from the proceeding or investigation
to which the person has been legally summoned;
commits bribery, a Level 5 felony.

So, yes, felonies. And yes, LEOs have to show up to court. A subpoena is enforceable if the judge gets a hair up his backside, and I'm sure anyone with a job understands their boss wants them to show up to work when they are supposed to.
BehindBlueI's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:05 AM   #98
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Name:  IMG_1856.PNG
Views: 415
Size:  420.5 KB
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote