Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-17-2009, 02:29 AM   #15
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedTaHaveA68 View Post
You have to realize that even with AFM (which deactivates 4 cylinders in low-load situations), it only cuts fuel to those cylinders. Energy is still required to suck in a dry charge (no fuel, just air), compress it to 1/11th its original volume, let it expand, then blow it out the exhaust. It still takes quite a bit of energy to compress that dry charge. So some of the fuel that you save by not injecting it into the cylinders is used to compress the air in those dead cylinders. That's why you don't get much better mpg with it.

And the automatics have a taller (lower number) rear end than the manuals. 3.23 auto, 3.45 manual. This helps with mpg numbers.
your wrong about how afm works, it closes off the valves after the power stroke and keeps the exhaust trapped in the cylinder to act as a air spring to push the piston back down so not that much energy is wasted(if any at low load). for example take a bike tire pump put your finger over the hole and press down on the handle then let go of the handle and watch the handle shoot back up.
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:50 AM   #16
my2010camaross
ss

Drives: all black ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN311 View Post
Right, but taking away 1/2 the cylinders at low rpm cruising speeds and 26hp seems like alot just to squeeze out a 2mpg difference. It must have put it in the gas guzzler tax range without the AFM like Kyle2K was thinking. There wouldn't have been any other reason to use it IMO.

No it's not that hard to figure that the mpg between an LS3 Corvette manual would be close to the LS3 Camaro manual. But that's not what I'm talking about. The info I was talking about was the need for them using AFM at all on the auto in the Camaro.
because if it did not have the afm, it would not be rated as high as it is. very rarely do you see an auto with better fuel economy than a standard. really just the vehicles that offer this feature. Sorry about my first response.
I m really just happy to see the ratings, because initially I opted for the auto just because of the fuel economy, however after doing very minimal research I new that the ls3 would be an almost comparison to the rated mpg that they were giving the auto.
ordered black 1ss stick with sunroof
october 20, 2008
my2010camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:58 AM   #17
CSK001

Drives: Maruti 800
Hi,

If you really want to know more on this, I would suggest you to navigate about this on internet. In fact, you can have more knowledge than you've at present.

CSK
CSK001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:07 AM   #18
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSK001 View Post
If you really want to know more on this, I would suggest you to navigate about this on internet. In fact, you can have more knowledge than you've at present.

CSK

"The future is in the windshield, not the rear-view mirror!"

"If you haven't gone a 175 mph on land, you haven't lived! That's just a fact!" - Ricky Bobby
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:55 AM   #19
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Active fuel management increased the fuel economy of the SS auto by around 10% compared to what it would have otherwise. A 10% increase is pretty substantial. The overall gearing on the automatic is shorter in 6th than the manual, at least on the SS's. This will cause a slight decrease in fuel economy, then couple that with the fact that its an automatic, you probably would have seen it rated at 22 or 23 mpg instead of 25. And that is rated, not actual. I would be shocked if it doesn't reach into the 30's while cruising at 55-60 mph.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:56 AM   #20
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Active fuel management increased the fuel economy of the SS auto by around 10% compared to what it would have otherwise. A 10% increase is pretty substantial. The overall gearing on the automatic is shorter in 6th than the manual, at least on the SS's. This will cause a slight decrease in fuel economy, then couple that with the fact that its an automatic, you probably would have seen it rated at 22 or 23 mpg instead of 25. And that is rated, not actual. I would be shocked if it doesn't reach into the 30's while cruising at 55-60 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
what was so funny about that?
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #21
GoldBowtie

Drives: 2021 Yukon Denali, 2018 ZL1
[QUOTE=JMAN311;342130]17/29 mpg (city/hwy) – 3.6L DI VVT V6 with manual transmission
18/29 mpg (city/hwy) – 3.6L DI VVT V6 with automatic transmission
16/24 mpg (city/hwy) – 6.2L V8 with manual transmission
16/25 mpg (city/hwy) – 6.2L V8 with automatic transmission

What's up with that? Guess I didn't realise how much at automatic tranny can rob fuel mileage....:QUOTE]

Auto's fuel economy is a pleasant surprise! When have you ever seen an AUTO with better economy than a six-speed manual in the same application? And apparently, based on early performance numbers, the auto is as quick to 60 as the stick --- go figure!!
GoldBowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #22
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
[QUOTE=GoldBowtie;343462]
Quote:
17/29 mpg (city/hwy) – 3.6L DI VVT V6 with manual transmission
18/29 mpg (city/hwy) – 3.6L DI VVT V6 with automatic transmission
16/24 mpg (city/hwy) – 6.2L V8 with manual transmission
16/25 mpg (city/hwy) – 6.2L V8 with automatic transmission

What's up with that? Guess I didn't realise how much at automatic tranny can rob fuel mileage....:QUOTE]

Auto's fuel economy is a pleasant surprise! When have you ever seen an AUTO with better economy than a six-speed manual in the same application? And apparently, based on early performance numbers, the auto is as quick to 60 as the stick --- go figure!!

not to mention the fact that the SS auto has more going against it than the manual.

L99 motor with less cr, different pistons, lifters, cam, more drivetrain loss thru the trans, as well as a different rear end gear ratio.

what they should test (and/or offer) is rear gearing of the M6 in the A6.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #23
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Do you think they would have got hit with a gas guzzler tax if the mpg rating sunk into that range of 22-23? To me that still seems like the only reason to have used AFM. Maybe I'm the only one that would have liked to see an LS3 @ 426hp with an auto at the sacrifice of only 2-3mpg.

I tried to calculate the EPA combined ratings with the formula from the gov website but couldn't get the same numbers they have on their list of 2009 cars that got hit with that tax. Maybe auto makers have different city/hwy mpg numbers for the feds than what they advertise or there are just more factors to the equation that they aren't letting us know.
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:50 AM   #24
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
The cutoff is a "Combined MPG" of 22.5mpg. The EPA's Combined MPG is basically the average of city and highway with an adjustment. The '08 SRT-8 rated at 13-18mpg gets a "Combined MPG" of 19.1.
So if the A6 w/o AFM was rated to 21 or 22mpg highway, it still might not have gotten the tax. But it certainly is more appealing to perspective buyers at 26 highway.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #25
UsedTaHaveA68

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentry78 View Post
your wrong about how afm works, it closes off the valves after the power stroke and keeps the exhaust trapped in the cylinder to act as a air spring to push the piston back down so not that much energy is wasted(if any at low load). for example take a bike tire pump put your finger over the hole and press down on the handle then let go of the handle and watch the handle shoot back up.
I stand corrected! At first I was going to say it still requires energy to compress that gas, but when I read more about it I noticed that the energy required to compress it is basically cancelled out the by energy released from the expansion of the compressed gas in the opposing de-activated cylinder. Guess I should do more research before chiming in next time
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #26
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Do you think they would have got hit with a gas guzzler tax if the mpg rating sunk into that range of 22-23? To me that still seems like the only reason to have used AFM. Maybe I'm the only one that would have liked to see an LS3 @ 426hp with an auto at the sacrifice of only 2-3mpg.

I tried to calculate the EPA combined ratings with the formula from the gov website but couldn't get the same numbers they have on their list of 2009 cars that got hit with that tax. Maybe auto makers have different city/hwy mpg numbers for the feds than what they advertise or there are just more factors to the equation that they aren't letting us know.
Yes, there are other factors besides the advertised EPA combined. I don't know what all of them are, but it is not the same. In cars that are similar to the Camaro, the rating on the GG tax is close to the highway fuel economy numbers so that is a good approximation. Which would have put an LS3 auto right on the bubble.

Anyway, in my mind the L99 is an LS3 setup for active fuel management. And the automatic is intended for more of a daily driver so the added fuel economy will be beneficial to most buyers. The extra power probably wouldn't do anything for 0-60 and might get 0.2s knocked off the 1/4 mile, I'm not a drag racer so those are purely guesses. But if true, is that worth paying an extra 10% for gasoline on a daily driver? For you maybe, the average customer probably not.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:58 AM   #27
domano 68

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
So you have a 426hp 6-spd manual tranny car getting 16/24 mpg
and an active fuel management 6-spd auto car with 26 less hp can only get 1 mpg better?!?!?!?

What's up with that? Guess I didn't realise how much at automatic tranny can rob fuel mileage....

The L99 mileage is relative to how you drive the car. Obviously the longer the AFM system is activated, the better the mileage will be. We don't know how long the AFM system was activated, nor do we know how the idividual drove the car when the EPA measurements were made. I would be willing to bet that I could get 30mpg out of a tank with an L99. You'd be surprised how much you can beat the EPA rating by if you just slow down (did I say slow down ). I've beat it by 40% in other vehicles. Interesting stuff.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:26 AM   #28
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedTaHaveA68 View Post
I stand corrected! At first I was going to say it still requires energy to compress that gas, but when I read more about it I noticed that the energy required to compress it is basically cancelled out the by energy released from the expansion of the compressed gas in the opposing de-activated cylinder. Guess I should do more research before chiming in next time
don't worry it happends to the best of us
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote