Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-21-2018, 01:35 PM   #1
Cheetoh

Drives: 2011 Callaway SC572, 2000 Firehawk
Talking Caliper replacement parts needed?

I am getting a set of Calipers Powdercoated. What do I need to replace when changing out the Calipers And where can I get what I need?
Old 01-21-2018, 07:30 PM   #2
zoutlawss

Drives: 2018 1LE
Caliper bolts for sure. I think you can get them on gmpartsdirect
zoutlawss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:51 PM   #3
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I rebuilt my calipers after powder coating and got my piston boots, new bleeders, and bleeder caps from RockAuto.com very reasonable. Now I was rebuilding 6 piston calipers so I used a set of Z06 non CCB vented Pistons about 120 a set but included seals. Might as well buy a set of stainless lines while your at it.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:42 AM   #4
SinginHawk

Drives: 2015 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
I rebuilt my calipers after powder coating and got my piston boots, new bleeders, and bleeder caps from RockAuto.com very reasonable. Now I was rebuilding 6 piston calipers so I used a set of Z06 non CCB vented Pistons about 120 a set but included seals. Might as well buy a set of stainless lines while your at it.
All of these recommendations are strong, but only relevant for race or track applications. The only thing that must be replaced are caliper bolts for about $30 (even so, some reputable voices would argue that doing so isn't absolutely necessary). Everything else is optional, if you're also interested in changing the pedal-feel or effectiveness of the brakes.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I agree on the bolt and I was piggy backing the previous post, I still stand by replacing all the seals and boots if your going to tear them down and have them powder coated you don't want reuse those parts or powder coat over them. If staying street no need to replace pistons but bleeder screws and caps are cheap insurance.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:43 PM   #6
SinginHawk

Drives: 2015 2LT
Quote:
I agree on the bolt and I was piggy backing the previous post, I still stand by replacing all the seals and boots if your going to tear them down and have them powder coated you don't want reuse those parts or powder coat over them. If staying street no need to replace pistons but bleeder screws and caps are cheap insurance.
Very true, cheap insurance is a good way to put it and exactly how I feel about the caliper bolts as well.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:55 PM   #7
14ssrs6man

Drives: Summit White 2014 2SS/RS 6spd
Quote:
Not sure where OP is having done but TPH Coatings in Madison WI (They are on the forum) rebuilds calipers when powder coated, all you would need is the bolts.