Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-12-2019, 04:42 PM   #1
LieutenantDan

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Oil cooler/oil filter - stumped

I have done countless google searches and looked everywhere but I can't seem to find a solution to my problem.

I have a 5th gen V6 LS and I want to get an oil cooler for it but the problem is that it has a paper oil filter cartridge and the only coolers I can find will only work with spin on filters.

Is there any adapter plates/conversion kits or maybe a relocation kit I could use to swap it over to a spin on and be able to install a cooler?
LieutenantDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:45 PM   #2
Sxren_Camaro'13
SEAHAWKS FOR LIFE!!

Drives: '13 Mod Camaro LS
i dont think the 5th gens can do that at least on a LS but illl look into it now brb.
Sxren_Camaro'13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:47 PM   #3
Sxren_Camaro'13
SEAHAWKS FOR LIFE!!

Drives: '13 Mod Camaro LS
alright back it seems it is not for the camaro 5th gen https://www.autozone.com/external-en...88916_567281_0
Sxren_Camaro'13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:07 PM   #4
LieutenantDan

I think one of the biggest issues I'm running into with this is that the sandwich plate to run the lines for the cooler doesn't work with my style of filter. That's one of the reasons I started looking into conversion kits. A plus side to a conversion kit is that spin on filters are better than paper cartridges. The thing is though, I'm having a lot of difficulty in finding aftermarket parts in general that would work with my car. There isn't even that much information I can find about my car either.

As a side note, I'm not some die-hard "OE" guy. If a part from a completely different car will make something work on mine, by all means I'm okay with it.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:35 PM   #5
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS A6
I think you're SOL as the engine block on your car has no provisions for a low-mounted spin-on filter.

On the bright side, you don't need an oil cooler, really. If you are going racing and are concerned about oil breakdown, there are two things you can do:

1) Use full synthetic oil.
2) Change the oil right before going racing.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:14 PM   #6
LieutenantDan

It's not so much that I'm worried about oil breakdown it's more so that I'm worried about it overheating. I partake in a bit of drifting on occasion and one time I was out drifting around in winter and in the matter of about 5-10 minutes the oil temp went from roughly 210 to about 246.

As far as the low mount provisions, that is the reason why I was considering a relocation/remote mount kit.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:42 PM   #7
LieutenantDan

Okay, so I've been doing some more digging and I think I might be on to something.

The picture with the white background is the Camaro oil filter housing and the one with the red background is the oil filter housing from a GMC Acadia. They look almost identical and they are both from a 3.6l engine. Any thoughts on this? When it comes to weather or not clearance will become an issue, I'm not too worried about that. My main interest between these two is if the Acadia housing will properly fit or not.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2019, 12:05 AM   #8
mikeman

Drives: 2015 Camaro
A member named "alice" on here did it on his car. He has the synergy green twin turbo V6. Search his name and then search for oil cooler. He posted up some pics and a short description in a thread once.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:49 AM   #9
LieutenantDan

I'll take a look and see what I can find, Thanks.