Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
PSDSAINT

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Black
Zaino Z5 vs. NXT

My black Camaro has a few "very fine" scratches in the paint. I can only see the scratches from certain angles up close. I figure I'm getting these from using California duster. I have been using McGuires NXT but the scratches are still there. I read that Zaino Z5 polish & scratch remover may help. Anyone tried this stuff and does it work? Thanks Bill
PSDSAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Meguiars NXT isn't a real polish. You want either Deep Crystal or their Ultimate Polish. Zaino Z5 would do the same thing, but personally I think Zaino is overhyped and Meguiars has always done me good.

PS - this is probably going to get moved to the Detailing section where it belongs.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Ucantctchme

Drives: 2010 ss. 1990 RS the faster one.
I just threw out a bottle of nxt. There are much better last step products available. It was hard to remove, smeared, and didn't last very long. Currently I'm using wolfgangs sealant 3.0 and love it.
Ucantctchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Z5 isn't a polish. It is a wax designed to fill in the swirls and scratches and hide them just like the NXT does.

I have both the NXT and the Z5. We have 4 vehicles total, mine gets Zaino and the others get the NXT. I much prefer Zaino over Meguiars. The shine, durability, and the beading capabilities of Zaino is something Meguiars can only dream of.

Now if you truly are serious about removing them you need to look at Adam's products and invest in getting a Porter Cable Random Orbital Polisher (Adam's also sells it too but you can find it cheaper). Adam's techniques are practically fool proof and their polishes and interior care products are second to none. The only two car care products that I use on my car are Adam's and Zaino as I have never found anyone else that even comes close to matching them. I use Zaino for their wax's, ZFX, and towels and I use Adam's for paint correction, cleaners, and interior care.

Here is a link to Adam's if you are interested. http://www.adamspolishes.com/default.aspx
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
NXT won't do much to clear the scratches. SwirlX or Ultimate Compound (if they're really bad) is where you want to be.

I've been using NXT for years. If you found that hard to remove or hazed, you applied it wrong. It wipes off as easy as blowing dust off a table.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
saumil

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
I have used the 3 step meguiar's system with some success.
saumil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdblan2 View Post
I've been using NXT for years. If you found that hard to remove or hazed, you applied it wrong. It wipes off as easy as blowing dust off a table.
Yeah - if you have a hard time getting NXT off you either need to work out them biceps, you did something wrong, or something that was beneath the NXT didn't react well with it (like if you polished with one product and then waxed with NXT). NXT is by far the easiest wax to buff off that I've ever used.

Zaino's hype is because you're "layering" the wax. Please - take any wax that does not have a cleaner in it and apply layer after layer and it's going to look great and be just as durable.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"

Old 04-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDSAINT View Post
My black Camaro has a few "very fine" scratches in the paint. I can only see the scratches from certain angles up close. I figure I'm getting these from using California duster. I have been using McGuires NXT but the scratches are still there. I read that Zaino Z5 polish & scratch remover may help. Anyone tried this stuff and does it work? Thanks Bill
If you want to remove those super fine scratches that you have mention, try a fine polish with a fine polishing pad to archive that. I recommend a product like this one to work on this problem : Menzerna PO87mc. Hope this helps you out.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
PSDSAINT

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Black
Thanks for the help guys! I just washed the car with McGuires Gold car wash and it looks great but I'm sure in the sun I'll see a few fine scratches. I'm going to give Z5 a try and see what I think. I'm also going to look into Adams which I never heard of, sorry! As for NXT theh #2 tech wax was easy to remove but the classic was difficult and I went back to NXT Tech #2. My Z5 is on order. Mr Draco, thanks for the link.
PSDSAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
Kmorpheus
Account Suspended

Drives: Green Dream Machine
I have used the McGuires Gold and NXT since I got the car. I am very happy with the results. I keep my Car in the garage on only take it out on good weather days. So I can't really speak for its lasting ability with prolonged exposer to the elements.

But tried to use Mcguires lower tier car wash "The Purple stuff" on my daily driver and I would not recomend it. Just hated the results, it does nothing to help with getting road oils off the car.
Kmorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
Zaino's hype is because you're "layering" the wax. Please - take any wax that does not have a cleaner in it and apply layer after layer and it's going to look great and be just as durable.
Sorry but I totally disagree.

I've always put at least 2 coats on my cars, 3 if I can, and 2 coats of Zaino out lasts and out shines anything I've tried so far, even Adam's. Layering an inferior product will still give you inferior results when you put on the same amount of coats.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #12
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
Yeah - if you have a hard time getting NXT off you either need to work out them biceps, you did something wrong, or something that was beneath the NXT didn't react well with it (like if you polished with one product and then waxed with NXT). NXT is by far the easiest wax to buff off that I've ever used.

That couldn't be more wrong. And I don't even like Zaino.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #13
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Maybe if you live in Arizona or somewhere that never sees rain, but in my experience (and I've tried exotics from Zaino, Klasse All-in-One, toppers such as P21S, etc) and I always come back to Meguiars for ease of availability and quality.

I will tell you one thing - car shows and car people excluded, the only time I've ever gotten a compliment in a random store parking lot about how glossy my car looks was when I was using Liquid Ice.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"

Old 04-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #14
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Ahhh, I see the "debate" on the different products lives on. I say, "to each his/her own."

I too own a black Camaro, and personally, I swear by Zaino for it. It is NOT a wax, but a polish. Through "layering", you can really diminsh the finer blemishes. It is also important to use the proper "towels" for drying and wax/polish removal.

I detail as well, and on occassion, I will use Zaino on a customers car. Every time, when to owner comes to pick up their car, they're amazed. That's not to say Meguires, or any other product isn't good (I offer Meguires as an alternative), but for my personal cars, nothing beats the ease of use, the durablilty, or shine as a result of using Zaino.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote