Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Ask AL


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2017, 08:13 PM   #1
vtirocz

 
vtirocz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Indy
Posts: 1,612
Questions on GM suspension kits on Camaro SS

Al,
I'm interested in upgrading the 1SS base suspension to be closer to the 1SS 1LE. Can we get some comparison data (lap times) and your thoughts to help make this decision, including any recommendations for OEM wheel/tire combination upgrades to work best with each kit.

Kits:
1. SS lowering kit (springs/shocks-84188726) + handling kit (swaybars/front links-84242386)
2. SS 1LE suspension kit with MRC cal update (not applicable to my specific car)
3. ZL1 1LE suspension kit (both 84352121 and 84352119)

I'm leaning toward this combination of parts to get as close as possible to an SS 1LE: SS lowering kit (springs/shocks-84188726) + handling kit (swaybars/front links-84242386) + SS 1LE wheels/tires

However, before making a final decision, I'm really interested in you and your team's thoughts and recommendations and what the performance #s would look like between the different options.

Existing literature states:
- SS lowering/handling kit (springs/shocks-84188726) + handling kit (swaybars/front links-84242386) provides a 1.6s lap time reduction on Milford Proving Grounds Autocross course.
- ZL1 1LE combo noted above provides a 1.8s lap time reduction at Milford Proving Ground NE course on an SS.
__________________
2017 Camaro 1SS, M6, Hurst shifter, Hyper Blue, NPP, Gray Split Spoke Wheels

Last edited by vtirocz; 08-30-2018 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Edited to ask a single question
vtirocz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:48 PM   #2
Thirty3
 
Drives: SS 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Land of 10,000 lakes.
Posts: 76
I'd also like to see this question asked!
__________________
2018 SS 1LE
Thirty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:49 PM   #3
abez
 
abez's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 1SS
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Pomona
Posts: 87
Same here BUMP!
abez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:51 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 31,850
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Very detailed, I like it!!

They provided very similar information as part of the marketing campaign when they did the SS Performance car with the 5th gen.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - Fbodfather
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:23 PM   #5
lmcgrew79
 
lmcgrew79's Avatar
 
Drives: '17 Zl1, '16 Viper ACR, '15 CLA 45
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Hurricane, WV
Posts: 168
Add this to the questions.
Is the 84352119 items already on the ZL1 and Zl1 1LE?
Is anything needed to disable the magnetic ride?
lmcgrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:05 PM   #6
vtirocz

 
vtirocz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Indy
Posts: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcgrew79 View Post
Add this to the questions.
Is the 84352119 items already on the ZL1 and Zl1 1LE?
Is anything needed to disable the magnetic ride?
I think 84352119 is definitely on the ZL1 1LE, but not the 'regular' ZL1.
__________________
2017 Camaro 1SS, M6, Hurst shifter, Hyper Blue, NPP, Gray Split Spoke Wheels
vtirocz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:45 AM   #7
vtirocz

 
vtirocz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Indy
Posts: 1,612
I think GM would sell a lot of these suspension kits if they advertised the info above, especially lap time differences!



Original Question:

Al,
I'm interested in possibly upgrading the suspension of my 1SS (base suspension) to be closer to the 1SS 1LE. There are 4 kits that I'd like to see comparison data (lap times) if it would be possible for you to provide this.

Kits:
  1. SS lowering kit (springs/shocks-84188726) + handling kit (swaybars/front links-84242386)
  2. SS 1LE suspension kit (with MRC cal update) - I don't have MRC, so this isn't an option, but would like to see how it compares
  3. ZL1 1LE suspension kit (both 84352121 and 84352119)
  4. ZL1 1LE suspension kit (84352121 DSSV shocks, springs, front swaybar only)

Existing literature states that the ZL1 1LE combo noted above (#3) provides a 1.8s lap time reduction at Milford Proving Ground NE course on an SS. The accessory guide also states that the SS lowering/handling kit referenced above provides a 1.6s lap time reduction on Milford Proving Grounds Autocross course (assuming on a Camaro SS).

Questions:
  1. Would it be possible to provide lap time comparisons on the Milford road course track (or ideally both Milford tracks) for the stock SS suspension vs. each option noted above? Since different gains were seen on different tracks, it makes it hard for me to make a good comparison on the effectiveness of the kits.
  2. What are the spring rates and swaybar rates/stiffness on each kit noted above?
  3. ZL1 1LE Spec Multimatic Lowering & Handling Suspension Upgrade System - 84352121. How much more compliant on public roads is just this package compared to the entire ZL1 1LE suspension?
  4. With a goal of getting as close to an SS 1LE as possible (on a non MRC car), what suspension kit is recommended?
  5. Would the SS 1LE wheel/tire combination have any interference with any of the suspension options noted above?
  6. Which wheel/tire combination was each kit optimized around?
  7. At an upcoming CamaroFest, would it be possible to have cars set up so we can sample the ride quality on the road (even if GM employee is driving), just to get a feel for the daily drivabiliy before purchase?

Ideally, I would really like to see lap time data with the addition of the SS 1LE wheel/tire combo installed as well (for each kit), since I would plan to upgrade wheel/tire/brakes at the same time.
__________________
2017 Camaro 1SS, M6, Hurst shifter, Hyper Blue, NPP, Gray Split Spoke Wheels

Last edited by mlee; 08-24-2018 at 04:14 PM. Reason: OP was edited and saved here.
vtirocz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:45 PM   #8
chozn4service


 
chozn4service's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 39.8255° N, 86.1721° W
Posts: 3,516
I have the GM Performance Lowering kit (7/8" drop) and the ZL1/1LE sways (FE4) and end links in boxes sitting in my garage since PRI30 trade show this past December. I spoke with the GM/Chevy engineers at PRI30 on what I wanted to do and they suggest this was the perfect setup for my SS and it's tuned for the suspension for optimal ride, stance and performance.
Can't wait to get them installed...
__________________
Never grow up, it's a trap!

Last edited by chozn4service; 02-12-2018 at 12:06 AM.
chozn4service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:35 AM   #9
waterman

 
waterman's Avatar
 
Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Join Date: May 2017
Location: 20*51.50N 156*29.60W
Posts: 1,121
Great discussion.

Subscribed.
__________________
2018 ZL1 1LE sw/PDR
waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:48 AM   #10
chozn4service


 
chozn4service's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 39.8255° N, 86.1721° W
Posts: 3,516
So at PRI30, I was able to speak to the GM/Chevy guys for 3 days and it was a great exchange of info for me! If you're ever available to attend the PRI Trade Show in Indy you should. Hook up with a vendor, builder or shop and go with them. This really is a huge show that has everyone who is a 'Who's Who' in the business of cars and specifically race cars.
I was initially thinking of getting ZL1 or 1LE specific parts but they told me they engineer and design the Performance Parts specifically for the car, thus the parts they suggested for me were engineered for the SS which I have and they said the MRC is a nice feature but it creates limits as to what can be done to the car as far as lowering and other things. They showed me the parts that would better serve me for looks, precision drop, handling, ride comfort over just adding springs and compressing the shocks and struts not actually designed for that other aftermarket application. They said obviously it can be done but there are variables they just don’t in account which can cause decreased longevity in parts made to last a long time.

So I’ve added some pics of the catalog for 2018 as well as what they told me what’s best for my car and provided to my by Matthew Rominski at TCPG where I find great prices on GM parts, fast shipping!:



Waiting for weather to break for installation:

Lower kit


FE4 Sways and end links


The remaining pics are ZL1 and 1LE parts in the catalog:











Hope all this helps in everyone’s decision making.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Never grow up, it's a trap!

Last edited by chozn4service; 02-12-2018 at 10:22 AM.
chozn4service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:28 PM   #11
vtirocz

 
vtirocz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Indy
Posts: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
So at PRI30, I was able to speak to the GM/Chevy guys for 3 days and it was a great exchange of info for me! If you're ever available to attend the PRI Trade Show in Indy you should. Hook up with a vendor, builder or shop and go with them. This really is a huge show that has everyone who is a 'Who's Who' in the business of cars and specifically race cars.
I was initially thinking of getting ZL1 or 1LE specific parts but they told me they engineer and design the Performance Parts specifically for the car, thus the parts they suggested for me were engineered for the SS which I have and they said the MRC is a nice feature but it creates limits as to what can be done to the car as far as lowering and other things. They showed me the parts that would better serve me for looks, precision drop, handling, ride comfort over just adding springs and compressing the shocks and struts not actually designed for that other aftermarket application. They said obviously it can be done but there are variables they just don’t in account which can cause decreased longevity in parts made to last a long time.

So I’ve added some pics of the catalog for 2018 as well as what they told me what’s best for my car and provided to my by Matthew Rominski at TCPG where I find great prices on GM parts, fast shipping!:

Waiting for weather to break for installation:

Lower kit

FE4 Sways and end links

The remaining pics are ZL1 and 1LE parts in the catalog:

Hope all this helps in everyone’s decision making.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats on the purchase! That's the exact combo I'm looking to get at some point in the future, but interested in Al's response first on all the setups before purchasing.

According to the 2018 Accessory guide (regarding the combo you purchased): Testing on the Milford Proving Grounds Autocross Course resulted in an average lap time decreaseof 1.6 seconds (overall time improvement from 1:04.2 to 1:02.6), when also paired withthe Suspension Lowering Kit.

Also, here's the link to the accessory guide with the latest part numbers (see page 24 of 27): https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...catalog-v2.pdf
__________________
2017 Camaro 1SS, M6, Hurst shifter, Hyper Blue, NPP, Gray Split Spoke Wheels
vtirocz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #12
Snrub
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, '94 Miata Race Car
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London Ontario Canada
Posts: 61
To add to the initial question, I'd also be interested for a bit more information to try to understand the differences between the various lowering kits:
1. Could Al explain why the LT Coupe suspension lowering kits will not work with cars equipped with 18" wheels?
2. If a regular V6 1LE and a non-magnetic suspension SS both have FE3 suspension, is there an appreciable difference between the SS and LT lowering kits? Is the SS version more performant, or just tuned slightly differently to account for weight differences?
3. Is there a reason the SS w/o magnetic suspension sway bar kit (#84242386) is not compatible with LT models if used with the SS/FE3 sway bar end-links?
4. Is there any difference in the FE3 suspension on the V6 1LE compared to the SS?
Snrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:29 PM   #13
vtirocz

 
vtirocz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Indy
Posts: 1,612
I'd love to see this question get answered.

I'm leaning toward this combination of parts to get as close as possible to an SS 1LE, but would really like to hear from the Camaro team what they suggest and what the performance #s would look like between the different options:

SS lowering kit (springs/shocks-84188726) + handling kit (swaybars/front links-84242386) + SS 1LE wheels/tires
__________________
2017 Camaro 1SS, M6, Hurst shifter, Hyper Blue, NPP, Gray Split Spoke Wheels
vtirocz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:43 PM   #14
mlee
--->
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Crush ZLE
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 33,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
I'd love to see this question get answered.

I'm leaning toward this combination of parts to get as close as possible to an SS 1LE, but would really like to hear from the Camaro team what they suggest and what the performance #s would look like between the different options:

SS lowering kit (springs/shocks-84188726) + handling kit (swaybars/front links-84242386) + SS 1LE wheels/tires
We will do our best to get this one in the next poll. Good questions.
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.