Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #15
farm rat

Drives: 2011 Vistory Red 1LS
That's some scary shit.

2011 1LS M6 Victory Red

Sold
1967 Coupe Green and White
1969 SS 396 Hugger Orange
1969 Z/28 All original White with deluxe interior
1970 RS Blue
1978 Coupe Fugly Green
1978 WS-6 Trans-Am Factory 4 speed
1985 IROC-Z Red
farm rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #16
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm rat View Post
That's some scary shit.
Yep.

Here's some security surveillance video of a member of my Camaro clubs ZL1 being stolen last year.

https://youtu.be/u-FKJuJIqTY
Old 07-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #17
farm rat

Drives: 2011 Vistory Red 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Yep.

Here's some security surveillance video of a member of my Camaro clubs ZL1 being stolen last year.

https://youtu.be/u-FKJuJIqTY
Damn. Did they get it back?

I assume they are targeting the V8 cars?

2011 1LS M6 Victory Red

Sold
1967 Coupe Green and White
1969 SS 396 Hugger Orange
1969 Z/28 All original White with deluxe interior
1970 RS Blue
1978 Coupe Fugly Green
1978 WS-6 Trans-Am Factory 4 speed
1985 IROC-Z Red
farm rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #18
Low Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm rat View Post
Damn. Did they get it back?

I assume they are targeting the V8 cars?
It was found a few days later. Missing its engine, transmission, wheels, brakes, doors, console, hood, bumper, headlamps and seats.

Yes, they only steal V8s.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:52 PM   #19
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
as a seasoned victim of having cars stolen.......

1 - 82 Caprice with a built 406 SBC and built TH400 trans. Stolen in 1999 from mall parking lot in Downey, CA - Found completely stripped

1 - 69 Camaro RS/SS. Stolen in 2004 from inside garage - Found completely stripped

1 - 2005 Chevy Tahoe with 24" wheels. Stolen in 2007 where it was parked outside my house - Recovered 95% intact within in 1 hour with OnStar. Steering column, and driver side door handle damaged. Factory stereo missing. Fuse box missing

Bottom line, if the thieves want it, they're gonna take it.

On this 5th gen i have now, i went a different route and have a hidden GPS tracker. I don't waste time with theft deterrents anymore.

Id just gave up and figured its easier to have a device to help the cops recover it faster

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #20
dnelson

Drives: 2013 SS
That's some messed up shit. You'd think thieves that are smart enough to do stuff like this would rather use their skillset for good rather than potentially putting themselves behind bars.
dnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:53 PM   #21
Low Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9fordkiller

On this 5th gen i have now, i went a different route and have a hidden GPS tracker. I don't waste time with theft deterrents anymore.
But your car will still get damaged, stolen and potentially already partially stripped by the time you realize it's gone.

On mine, I have a hidden $0.99 switch that prevents the car from being started. The switch is very small and very well hidden as well as the wiring. No one I've ever handed my keys to has been able to find the switch, it's wiring or start my Camaro.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:08 PM   #22
dnelson

Drives: 2013 SS
Quote:
But your car will still get damaged, stolen and potentially already partially stripped by the time you realize it's gone.

On mine, I have a hidden $0.99 switch that prevents the car from being started. The switch is very small and very well hidden as well as the wiring. No one I've ever handed my keys to has been able to find the switch, it's wiring or start my Camaro.
Where did you connect the switch? Would it still protect against someone who is bypassing the ignition cylinder to begin with?
dnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:23 PM   #23
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
If I had to guess, I would put a switch in the fuel pump circuit, no gas, no start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnelson View Post
Where did you connect the switch? Would it still protect against someone who is bypassing the ignition cylinder to begin with?
Old 07-10-2018, 02:23 PM   #24
Low Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnelson View Post
It physically interrupts power going to the starter solenoid. No way to electronically bypass it. A thief would have to either find the hidden switch or the wiring and physically reconnect the wire back together.

I'm the one who installed it and I don't look forward to the day I my have to remove it. Everything is so well hidden and tucked away, nothing looks out of place. Its amazing how long it took and how much stuff I took apart to install a small switch and a few feet of wire.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:42 PM   #25
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
They could just tow it.

Jail isn’t a deterrent. You normal people have no idea about the joke of a justice system we have in this country. Ask any police officer what they think and they’ll just roll their eyes. I recall sitting in on an auto theft trial as I was waiting for my case later that day and they had something like 23 or 24 counts of theft, racketeering, conspiracy, and burglary, and he got 2-3 years if memory serves me. He was probably out in 16-18 months. Now think about the resources and man hours that went into all the investigation and trial and realize why police and insurance look to just cut you a check and move on. Lawyers are used car salesmen playing with house money.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #26
TooManyProjects

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2ss
My god...

This is our future
TooManyProjects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:58 PM   #27
NEstyle

Drives: Caprice
Quote:
Camaro theft is an epidemic. Especially in the San Francisco Bay area. Camaros can be stolen and driven away in just over a minute with the thieves barely making a sound.

They cut the bumper or kick in the fog lamp to get access to the horn and cut the wires. That way there is no sound from the "alarm" when they get the door open. They then open the hood, unplug the ECU and swap in their own. Then they disable OnStar, start the car and drive away. A couple days later the car is found stripped.

They're pretty successful too, because a hundred or so according to law enforcement have been stolen in the area and there really haven't been any arrests and they haven't slowed down. They're stealing them from owners driveways, parking lots at malls, workplaces, stores, schools and from dealerships.

Owners like myself have started installing starter disablers and some are using wheel boots others are installing an ECU block off brackets.

Good job posting posting such detailed instructions for anyone to see
NEstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #28
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEstyle View Post
Good job posting posting such detailed instructions for anyone to see
All he did was post what they do. It's not like he explains what is on their ECU, or how to disconnect things.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote