Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-15-2010, 10:40 AM   #15
RAdams
Car Guy

Drives: '08 Mustang GT, '01 Isuzu VehiCROSS
I'm also middle aged and also ignore. You're driving a new car, new tires, new brakes. How do we know the other car has not been hacked up with poorly executed mods or is not a "total" revived from the dead, etc? I know people who mistake "drivable" with "race-ready" and never even consider that their poorly maintained vehicle is an accident waiting to happen in the best of circumstances. I don't trust people driving in normal traffic so some "who knows what" under heavy load a few feet away is not going to happen!
RAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #16
fisherssmoke

Drives: Black SS
I read the Cynthia Furr story, what a tragedy. I wonder if they make kids about to get their drivers liscense watch videos on how deadly a car can be. Way too many kids die in car crashes in my area.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #17
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
It's funny but I have had more people in SUV's and pickup trucks pulling up and revving their engines than anyone else.. One guy in a Explorer V8 pulled up next to me at a light and started revving and I just made the "Crazy Jesture" (Using index finger and doing circles around my ear) that pissed him off and whan the light changed he took off like a bat out of hell... I just laughed..

Just keep your cool and keep driving normal... they will eventually give up.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #18
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Back in the mid 80's, my first car I bought was a 73 Dodge Charger SE, which originally had a 383...but when that blew a rod I replaced it with a 440 magnum.

I was younger, of course, and this was a magnet for that behavior. I'm already seeing it again with my Camaro as well.

Difference is, I now ignore them completely.

One time, in downtown Los Angeles, I was driving to work doing the speed limit. A car ended up tailgating me through 4-5 lights. by the 3rd light, I started slowing down to 25 (speed limit was 30), speeding back up, then slowing back down to 15. These guys kept on my ass the whole way, within a foot or two of my bumper. I finally slowed down to 5 MPH, and they pulled up next to me where I promptly pulled out their badge and made me pull over.

Now, I had Washington State plates, and a metal pipe on the back seat (which I was told by California State Patrol should be put there rather than between the door and seat...he was a nice cop that was helping me get my car to a shop in northern California when a fuel pump broke).

These guys that pulled me over arrested me and took me to jail because I had a weapon in the car. They were also ogling some hookers on the way, whistling, etc as I was being taken to jail.

Eventually, when this went to court, they claimed they were tailgating to let me know my gas cap was "loose"...which was total BS. They ended up getting suspended for a month for how they handled this.

Still, I try to avoid flipping off random cars (as much as I can these days) because this wasn't the only time I flipped off undercover cars in that Charger. It happened FOUR times, in similar circumstances.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #19
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
When I first got mine..had a couple 4th gens pull up next looking to race.
One actually cut off a mustang who was cautiously trailing next to me....LOL

Just gave a wave and let them pull in front.
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #20
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Back in the mid 80's, my first car I bought was a 73 Dodge Charger SE, which originally had a 383...but when that blew a rod I replaced it with a 440 magnum.

I was younger, of course, and this was a magnet for that behavior. I'm already seeing it again with my Camaro as well.

Difference is, I now ignore them completely.

One time, in downtown Los Angeles, I was driving to work doing the speed limit. A car ended up tailgating me through 4-5 lights. by the 3rd light, I started slowing down to 25 (speed limit was 30), speeding back up, then slowing back down to 15. These guys kept on my ass the whole way, within a foot or two of my bumper. I finally slowed down to 5 MPH, and they pulled up next to me where I promptly pulled out their badge and made me pull over.

Now, I had Washington State plates, and a metal pipe on the back seat (which I was told by California State Patrol should be put there rather than between the door and seat...he was a nice cop that was helping me get my car to a shop in northern California when a fuel pump broke).

These guys that pulled me over arrested me and took me to jail because I had a weapon in the car. They were also ogling some hookers on the way, whistling, etc as I was being taken to jail.

Eventually, when this went to court, they claimed they were tailgating to let me know my gas cap was "loose"...which was total BS. They ended up getting suspended for a month for how they handled this.

Still, I try to avoid flipping off random cars (as much as I can these days) because this wasn't the only time I flipped off undercover cars in that Charger. It happened FOUR times, in similar circumstances.

One of the best engines ever made. The old mopar sure could build 'em!
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:57 AM   #21
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTSquared View Post
One of the best engines ever made. The old mopar sure could build 'em!
Oh yeah. It was one of the sweetest sounding engines I've heard. That car was cursed though.

Jesse James (of television fame) stole my stereo, wheels/tires, and ran my engine with no oil when it was in the shop getting the 440 put in. The owner of the shop had sent the car out to Jesse James to get a power steering bracket mounted for it, and while that was happening...someone came at him with an ice pick and the guy shot him. He was in jail for 2 weeks till they let him out on self defense. I guess the shop owner owed Jesse James some money...and that a-hole took it from my car.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #22
ELDuran

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Camaro (Rally Yellow)
I was in court one day and the judge said to me, "you have been brought here for racing" to which I replied, sweet, what will you be driving vs my Camaro?

But seriously, Ignore is your best friend. No need to put another life in danger.

ELDuran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #23
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Yeah dicks wanna race all the time...*yawn*

I love to drive the speed limit and watch all the PU Trucks, SUVs, Mini-Vans and every other dipsh*t on the road pull up right behind me then swerve over and pass me and cut right back in in front of me. I'm driving 42 in a 40 and people in Mini-Vans are acting like I'm the one doing something wrong for not doing 50. I've had people get right on my ass and give me the finger for doing 38 in a 35 because they want to get around me. Why are people in a hurry to get to work in the morning anyway?
Question...are you in the left lane?
Old 02-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #24
Abygale

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Question...are you in the left lane?
Exactly. If you are in the left lane of traffic doing 3 miles over the speed limit you can expect to piss off a lot of people. All drivers should remember the left lane is for passing only. If you aren't passing get the heck out of that lane!

But regardless of how good of a driver you are, there will be lots of people wanting to race you. Expect it, ignore it, and survive to see another day with a clean conscience.
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #25
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Sometimes. I usually drive in the right lane but sometimes if there is traffic in the right lane that is going even slower than me I will drive in the left. I'm talikng about local streets. There is no fast lane on local streets. I'm not the old guy "keeper of the speed" on the highway in the left lane doing 55.
Cool...just checking!
Old 02-15-2010, 11:30 AM   #26
Abygale

Drives: .
Quote:
Well I guess I'll piss you off then.
Well from the sounds of it, you are already pissing off a lot of the drivers around you. You don't really need to add me to the list.
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #27
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
I like to point at and laugh hysterically...that gets em goin cuz ur tellin em there is no competition and would be a waste of your time (which is true)
Big Brunsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #28
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brunsy View Post
I like to point at and laugh hysterically...that gets em goin cuz ur tellin em there is no competition and would be a waste of your time (which is true)
I do that with Mustangs all the time...