Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #29
Abygale

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Why does me driving a little over the speed limit on a one or two lane local road where the speed limit is 35 or 40 piss you off?

Go around me or just wait until you can. I just don't see the need to flip me off or cut back in front of me two inches from my front bumper like you're all pissed off. Believe me when I want to drive fast I do but I always try and drive with respect for my fellow drivers.

If you're pissed off it's not my fault - you need to look at yourself for the reason.
I really can't answer your question DW as I'm pretty sure I've never driven behind you. What I will say, like I did in my original post, people driving two miles over the speed limit in the left lane, ESPECIALLY on the commute to work WILL piss people off.

As to why people were flipping you off, only you can answer that. But I wouldn't spend a lot of time asking yourself "Why are people in such a hurry to get to work anyway?" It's really not our place to question why someone else is in a hurry or wants to drive faster than us, but if you refuse to move over insisting they just wait or they go around you, that might explain why other drivers get mad at you.

Common courtesy, which is missing in so much of daily life, is to keep right if you are going slower than the other drivers in the left lane. It's a simple way to de-stress the morning commute.

Btw, on my main highway in town people routinely drive 10 miles or more over the speed limit. If you don't drive that fast you better not be in the left lane or you will most assuredly piss everyone off on the highway or worse, cause an accident. I'm not saying it is right, but it's the police officers job to enforce the speed, not other drivers. There are definitely a lot of rude drivers out there, but not showing common courtesy is a sure way to get some of them riled up.
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #30
JProberts

Drives: 2SS RJT RS/Sunroof
I say crush every mustang you can when you have the chance:seesaw:
JProberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #31
Bert
synergy-green with envy

Drives: Cam....ry :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post
Exactly. If you are in the left lane of traffic doing 3 miles over the speed limit you can expect to piss off a lot of people. All drivers should remember the left lane is for passing only. If you aren't passing get the heck out of that lane!
Simple rule: "Keep right except to pass"

here in Rhode Island, I think we need to invest in about a thousand signs that say this, and post them in the median on all the highways . . . might not help, but it's worth a try
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #32
Abygale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post

here in Rhode Island, I think we need to invest in about a thousand signs that say this, and post them in the median on all the highways . . . might not help, but it's worth a try
In Kansas, our highways are posted with those signs and last year a law went into effect where you can be ticketed for "hanging out" in the left lane. It doesn't apply to city streets but most people expect you to show the same courtesy in the city.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #33
rowerybo

Drives: explorer
same way in Florida, slower traffic keep right
rowerybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #34
RAdams
Car Guy

Drives: '08 Mustang GT, '01 Isuzu VehiCROSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post

Pffftt, save your money. We have these on the Ok turnpikes and they might as well say, "Slower Traffic: Don't Read This."
RAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #35
JProberts

Drives: 2SS RJT RS/Sunroof
Yeah seriously folks this is really a common knowledge deal and should not require signs or laws explaining to stay out of the left lane on highways when driving slowly. Hell I drove on the auto bonn years ago and the rules were just the same as here. Passing and faster cars in the left lane please.
JProberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #36
Abygale

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAdams View Post
Pffftt, save your money. We have these on the Ok turnpikes and they might as well say, "Slower Traffic: Don't Read This."
LOL, I was actually going to say something about Oklahoma in my previous post. I was soooo glad when they finally posted the "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs in Oklahoma. It seems to have helped some but occasionally I still run into the old farm boy that thinks the left lane is for the slow traffic. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JProberts View Post
Yeah seriously folks this is really a common knowledge deal and should not require signs or laws explaining to stay out of the left lane on highways when driving slowly. Hell I drove on the auto bonn years ago and the rules were just the same as here. Passing and faster cars in the left lane please.
The problem is that "common knowledge" like common courtesy isn't very common at all.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #37
guiLT
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2001 Maxima
This is a good thread..
Old 02-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #38
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
So which is faster? The left lane M6 or right lane A6?!?!?!

I kid I kid.
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #39
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTSquared View Post
So which is faster? The left lane M6 or right lane A6?!?!?!
Obviously the M6, since it's in the left lane it has to be passing, right?

Last edited by Steve Dallas; 02-15-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Steve Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #40
ScottZ28

Drives: 10 RS-71 Z28 RS-97 30th Anniv Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JProberts View Post
When many people do drive slowly in the left lane it can't be common knowledge! I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles across this country and find these people all over. They are the one's that cause traffic problems and accidents because they are trying to police how fast others should go. This shouldn't be their job. By not moving over they force the other drivers who want to go faster to make stupid moves just to get around them. If you see someone tailgating you and flashing their lights at you, why would you egg them on by staying in the lane?? How hard is it to just move over. I move over whenever I see a faster car coming up behind me so I expect the same courtesy from other drivers. It should be common knowledge but I'm afraid it just isn't.

As for racing on the street, I don't do it. Whether I'm driving in my '71 Z28, '97 Z28 or new RS I just let them go. I've seen too many accidents caused by stupid driving to bother. I don't need to prove anything to anybody. About ten years ago I was walking into a store when I heard the roar of 2 V-8's racing eachother on the road. I turned to look and I saw a silver 2nd generation Camaro flying throught the air upside down and landing on it's roof in the drive-thru land of a Burger King. The driver survived and nobody else was hurt but this vividly showed me how stupid street racing is. This kid destroyed his car, almost killed himself, and what's worse is that he could have injured or killed an innocent bystander.
Attached Images

Last edited by ScottZ28; 02-17-2010 at 11:32 AM.
ScottZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #41
mpsheedy
2010AQUABLUE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Aqua Blue/white stripes
To all of us that have a V-8 Camaro WE KNOW WE CAN BEAT (THEM) I just take all the taunting as jealousy and there you have it!!
mpsheedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #42
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottZ28 View Post
When many people do drive slowly in the left lane it can't be common knowledge! I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles across this country and find these people all over. They are the one's that cause traffic problems and accidents because they are trying to police how fast others should go. This shouldn't be their job. By not moving over they force the other drivers who want to go faster to make stupid moves just to get around them. If you see someone tailgating you and flashing their lights at you, why would you egg them on by staying in the lane?? How hard is it to just move over. I move over whenever I see a faster car coming up behind me so I expect the same courtesy from other drivers. It should be common knowledge but I'm afraid it just isn't.

As for racing on the street, I don't do it. Whether I'm driving in my '71 Z28, '97 Z28 or new RS I just let them go. I've seen too many accidents caused by stupid driving to bother. I don't need to prove anything to anybody.
I have had them come flying up behind me while I was passing a line of traffic.. I may be doing 5 MPH faster than the line I am passing and the dummy behind me wants to do 20 MPH faster flashing their lights and waving at me, I am not obligated to speed up or move over if I am in the act of passing already doing over the posted limit (but not overly faster), and no amount of flashing of lights are going to make me go faster, I will get over as soon as I safely get past them... then sometimes these people are so much in a hurry they will jerk their car over into the right lane and speed around before I have time to safely pull back into the right lane..

Seems like people do not know how far you should be in front of the car after you pass before safely pulling back into that lane.. lots of people think they are on a racetrack and as soon as your bumper clears theirs it is fine to jump into their lane...