Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-30-2020, 11:26 AM   #15
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
I had a 2010 v6 and drove it 100k miles. Traded it for an SS 1LE. The SS is the better car for sure but the V6 is still very respectable. Still quick, and can still be built up pretty good. Try to stay away from the LS and get a 1LT or 2LT and if you get a manual, you'll still get a limited slip differential. The LS has fuel economy gearing and no limited slip.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2020, 11:34 AM   #16
Lb35

Drives: Honda Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Well this is an interesting first post. Welcome to the forums. Asking on a Camaro forum, you're likely to get everyone saying Camaro. Now with some of the comments so far, they're right. You're not likely to get into a "nice" SS for $10k, but a good V6 is definitely not out of the question.

The question does come down to application. You mentioned "fast, fun, and reliable". The V6 Camaro is reasonably fast, definitely fun, and overall reliable. There have been some people who have experienced issues with timing chains on early 5th gen V6 cars especially, but not all have and those that had it repaired more often than not never had to worry about it again.

If you're looking to modify for performance I would imagine the Civic has a much better aftermarket scene as the V6 Camaro is somewhat limited since most people who wanted to modify for performance went with a V8. Cosmetics are available all day long on a 5th gen as many parts are interchangeable between V6 and V8.

I have very limited knowledge about the Civic community as the last one I drove was a 90's hatchback 5 speed with 5 people in it and zero oil apparently (dumb chick didn't know you were supposed to do oil changes) and my personal preference is to buy from American manufacturers. Do your research and think about if you want front wheel drive or rear wheel as this can make a big difference in your decision, and pull the trigger on the car you want more.
I plan on getting a v6 but not really modifying it engine as I would with the civic si. Is the 5th gen v6 camaro reliable enough and how many miles is too much to buy a camaro for? As far as cosmetics go I care more of what’s under the hood so if I get a civic si I don’t if it would be a good idea to add a turbo kit.
Lb35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:45 AM   #17
terry_b

Well the LFX engine in the Camaro is pretty reliable. If I'm shopping used, I look for around 30k miles and generally stay away from higher than that. Of course, it all depends on the previous owner - if they've taken meticulous care of everything and kept the car in good condition. Also, highway miles are generally much easier on a car. Most of the wear and tear on the mechanicals and even the interior comes from start and stop, and getting in and out all the time. My 2010 had plenty of life left at 100k miles.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:57 AM   #18
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Your civic will be better on fuel and might be faster than the camaro v6 as they are around 4k lbs. Looks wise 5th gen camaro is one of the best looking cars out there. You can find an SS for around 10k but it will be high mileage, which isn't a big deal if you can work on them just make sure it's clean, no rust.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:18 PM   #19
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
I think you will get more for your money with the Camaro; the V6 Camaro's depreciate pretty quickly compared to Honda’s overall, so they can be a good buy if you find a nice used one. I’d look for a 1LT maybe something with 70,000 miles on it.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:04 PM   #20
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lb35 View Post
I plan on getting a v6 but not really modifying it engine as I would with the civic si. Is the 5th gen v6 camaro reliable enough and how many miles is too much to buy a camaro for? As far as cosmetics go I care more of what’s under the hood so if I get a civic si I don’t if it would be a good idea to add a turbo kit.
The 5th gen Camaro as a whole is a very reliable car. It's earned a bunch of awards for reliability from consumer reports, JD Power, and more. If I was looking for a V6 Camaro I'd shoot for a '13 because then you could get many extra creature comfort options and it has the updated engine with a little extra power. (The updated engine was included in '12+ Camaros.)
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:05 PM   #21
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
chicks dig Camaros . they have longer front ends .
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:45 PM   #22
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Should we tell him about the blend door?
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:53 PM   #23
11_Camaro

Drives: 2022 Hyundai Veloster N
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
Should we tell him about the blend door?
Post of the day!
11_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:07 PM   #24
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lb35 View Post
Fast and reliable
$10K won't cut it.

Edit: Unless $10K is your down payment, then you're good to go.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:51 PM   #25
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Get the Civic. It's a lot more practical and you can take all of your friends with you if you get the 4 door. V-tech yo!
Attached Images

mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:32 PM   #26
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i drive a 2015 RS,bought the wife a 2018 civic coupe a couple of weeks ago.at speeds that wont get you thrown in jail the civic is more fun,it feels like you are going faster than you are while in the camaro you will feel like you are sitting still going 75 on the highway.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:17 PM   #27
terry_b

In the bike world, the saying goes "riding a slow bike fast is better than riding a fast bike slow". It's totally true and definitely applies here.

Sometimes I enjoy my fiancée's 300 more than my MT07. It's like riding a bicycle in comparison. It's not very fast, but I can just flick it around so easy!

My 1LE is so overpowered for the street, and I literally have to hold back. I set the speed alarm at 80 mph and literally every onramp the car's yelling at me before I know it.

That being said... I wouldn't give it up for a brand new economy car, let alone trade in for a used anything.

Civic is definitely more practical. More fun is going to be a relative feeling.

Old 05-31-2020, 07:14 PM   #28
Warship2k15

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Ok I bought my low mileage 2010 2ss for 14k so that give you an idea
Warship2k15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, civicsi