Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 11-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #1093
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Nooooooooo, Come back! Staying involved in this thread can help keep you motiviated to keep yourself healthy. Don't give up. Let us know what are the difficult things for you to stay on track & we will help you find solutions.

I am getting ready to be faced with challenges to my own routine. I am faced with possibly changing jobs within my company or staying with this one which is changing locations & structure. Whatever I decide I will have to find new exercize classes once again. I dread it but I will figure it out. In hte meantime, I am trying to lose as much of the tummy as I can until the change in case it takes me a while to get back on track with the exercize part of keeping me on track.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #1094
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Here's an interesting read. We've talked about this here and there but this will help explain why watching the scale is only a small part of reaching your goals.

Focus on Body Composition…
Tracking your weight is helpful, but alone it’s not enough. Instead of obsessing over the reading on the scale, you should shift your focus to body composition: Your ratio of fat to muscle. Body composition is one of the best ways to judge your progress.
Even if you’re not an athlete or bodybuilder, you should still set goals to develop and maintain muscle not only for how it looks, but also for what it does for your metabolism, your strength, your health and even your confidence.
The scale is not your enemy – it can be your good friend if you know how to use the numbers as part of the feedback you need to gauge progress and make course corrections. Getting emotional about what the scale says without considering body composition is where the trouble begins. Body weight alone can fool you.
How the scale lies to you, part 1: weight and fat are not the same
First and most important, the scale lies to you because it doesn’t tell you how much of your weight is fat and how much is muscle. The scale simply measures total body weight: fat, muscle, bone, organs, blood, water, digestive system contents, glycogen, everything!
Most scale-focused dieters assume that weight loss is good and weight gain is bad. But what if the weight you gain is 100% pure muscle? Isn’t that good?
What if fifty-percent of the weight you lost was muscle (which can easily happen if you don’t use strategies to build and feed muscle while you’re losing weight). Would you celebrate cannibalizing half of your own muscle tissue? Of course not.
Muscle is the weight you want to keep (or build). Fat is the weight you want to shed.
How the scale lies to you, part 2: Water
Your body weight can easily fluctuate 2-4 pounds (or more) from daily shifts in water weight alone. That shift could be even greater over the course of the first week on a diet, especially a reduced carb diet. The heavier you are to begin with, the bigger the first week’s weight loss (including water) is likely to be.
Losing water weight is easy. When I was in high school and college I had wrestler friends who would lose 10 to 15 pounds overnight to make a weight class, using natural diuretics, saunas, sweat suits and other dehydration tricks.
If you’re not a weight class athlete, what good is it to lose water weight only to gain it back as quickly as you lost it? That’s how the scale fools you (and diets programs trick you).
How the scale lies to you part 3: carbs (glycogen)
Does the amount of carbs in your diet fluctuate? (for, example do you use carb cycling, or refeed days or have have high carb cheat meals on occasion?)
Carbohydrates are stored in the muscle as glycogen and water is stored along with them. That’s why your weight can tick up a few pounds after a higher carb day (or meal).
For those wanting fat loss, the sudden increase on the scale without knowing about body composition could make you freak out.
For those wanting muscle gain, the increase on the scale without knowing about body composition could make you celebrate.
But both the panic and the celebration were premature. The scale lied again – in both directions. The burner didn’t gain fat weight and the builder didn’t gain muscle weight – it was just glycogen, and the water that came along with it.
How the scale lies to you part 4: (what’s in your gut)
Everything in your stomach and gastrointestinal tract has weight, so if you’ve eaten some “heavy” meals recently, you’ll weigh more than if you haven’t been eating much.
On the other hand, if you don’t eat anything for a day, you could lose a lot of weight, literally overnight, but how much of it is fat and how much is due to an empty belly?
You can lose a lot of body weight in single day, but rest assured, the fat loss you can get in one day is minimal, constrained by calorie math and physiology.
If you don’t eat, you lose weight that’s NOT body fat, just like you lose weight if you don’t hydrate.
This also explains the weight loss you see with colon cleansing. Why people feel the need to cleanse their colons (unless their gastroenterologist told them to), I’ll never understand. Yet, this is one of the oldest and biggest weight loss scams in the book.
Usually, health claims are made about cleansing along with the weight loss claims, and that’s what sucks people in. But there’s no science behind the claims. The weight lost was not fat.
Height-weight charts lie to you too
Height and weight charts supposedly tell you your ideal weight based on how tall you are. They were used for years by insurance companies, physicians, sports teams and the military and still are today. But they’re misleading because they don’t consider body composition.
According to a height-weight chart, a 5 foot 8 inch male bodybuilder weighing 200 pounds would be (mis)classified as “overweight” even if he had single-digit body fat, six pack abs and perfect health.
On the other hand, a 5 foot 4 inch 125-pound woman could have 33 percent body fat. According to the height-weight chart, she is a “healthy weight,” but according to her body fat level, she is “obese.”
Researchers call that normal weight obesity, or when the lean body mass is exceptionally low, its called sarcopenic obesity – which is a newly-recognized and growing epidemic. You may simply know it as, skinny fat.
Body mass index: another liar!
Even the body mass index (BMI) lies to you, and yet it’s used everywhere today to judge whether you’re overweight.
BMI is calculated with this formula: weight (kg) divided by height (m) squared. You’re classified as overweight if your BMI is over 25 and obese if your BMI is over 30.
According to the BMI, a skinny fat person could have a “healthy” BMI of 19 to 22 with a dangerously high level of body fat. A typical bodybuilder or strength athlete could have a “dangerously” high BMI of 30 and a healthy, low body fat level.
According to the BMI, almost every player in the national football league is overweight and some contestants in the Mr. Olympia contest are “morbidly obese!”
BMI lies to you – especially if you’re an athlete or you carry more muscle weight than the average person. Nowhere is body composition factored into the equation.
Body weight alone is deceiving
If you’ve ever dieted before, there may have been days that you wanted to toss your scale in the garbage can, smash it with a sledgehammer or hurl it out the window.
Unbeknownst to you, if you weren’t aware of body composition, you may have made progress that the scale didn’t reveal (you lost body fat that was masked by gaining water weight or glycogen, or, if you were lucky, you even gained muscle weight at the same time).
At other times, you may have rejoiced to a drop on the scale, but what really happened was not worth celebrating – you lost water weight or muscle weight (I put on black and hold a mock funeral every time a client loses muscle… )
Yes, the scale lies to you, but it’s not that tracking body weight on the scale is useless, tracking weight alone simply doesn’t give you the full picture. Going by body weight alone can lead to many false assumptions and bad decisions.
Keep weighing yourself, but don’t stop there – track your body fat percentage as well.
If you track your weight and your body fat, with that information put together, you see the full picture: you see your body composition.
Body fat and how to measure it
One easy way to measure your body fat is the skinfold caliper. A health and fitness pro can do the test for you at the gym, or you can even test your own body fat at home with a simple, inexpensive caliper called the ACCU-MEASURE.
Also known as the pinch an inch test, you grab a skinfold (with your thumb and index finger) near your hip bone, and the calipers measure the thickness (of the fat and skin) in millimeters. You use a conversion to chart to calculate your body fat percentage. Easy-peasy.
Next, you multiply your total body weight by your body fat percentage to determine how many pounds of fat you’re carrying:
Example: you weigh 150 pounds. Your body fat is 20%. 150 X .20% = 30 pounds of fat.
Finally, you subtract your fat weight from your total body weight to determine your lean mass: 150 pounds minus 30 pounds of fat equals 120 pounds of lean body mass (LBM).
Now you have a clear picture of what matters the most: body composition, not just body weight. You can also see that you need to know how much you weigh to find out how much muscle weight and fat weight you have. Which is why I say…
Don’t throw away your scales!

Tracking body weight by itself has value. In study after study, people who self-monitor progress by tracking their weight almost always do better than those who don’t. But adding body fat testing on top of weight measurements is even better.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #1095
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
havent been in this thread for sometime. hope everyone is still hard at it.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #1096
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznts View Post
havent been in this thread for sometime. hope everyone is still hard at it.

Always!!
Old 11-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #1097
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Always!!
good to hear my friend! im still plugging along myself.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #1098
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznts View Post
good to hear my friend! im still plugging along myself.

Sometimes I wonder why I still do this, I'm not getting any younger ya know, guess it becomes a way of life.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #1099
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder why I still do this, I'm not getting any younger ya know, guess it becomes a way of life.
i agree, a way of life definitely. for me sometimes i think it may be an obsession/addiction.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #1100
Ghost1LE

Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
I'm still at it since I last talked to CFD. Still use a lot of the principles you taught me about carb cycling and tapering them as the day goes on as well as timing my meals/carbs based on my workouts, etc..

I dropped down to 155 back in April at 5'9" and started eating more and no cardio until late October and made it up to 170 lbs, made amazing gains in the gym and have been dieting down since then. Back down to 155 this week with at least 5 lbs of added muscle, maybe more since April and gonna keep going until I get to 145-150 we'll see as I get closer then back to a semi-clean bulk again.

Not sure who's familiar with the app "MyFitnessPal", but I suggest it to anyone, I absolutely love it, I input everything I eat and just have my calorie goals for when I'm cutting, maintaining and bulking based on my own BMR and aim for my goal everyday. I know my macro split at the end of the day between fats, carbs, and protein as well as how much sodium, vitamins, etc.. I got that day. It's so easy to use, they even added a new feature that allows you to scan any food with a barcode (almost everything) into it and add it to your day's food.

I'm just hoping Thanksgiving doesn't hurt my diet to bad gonna have go for a run thursday morning and night.

Happy holidays everyone and good luck!
Old 11-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #1101
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost1LE View Post
I'm still at it since I last talked to CFD. Still use a lot of the principles you taught me about carb cycling and tapering them as the day goes on as well as timing my meals/carbs based on my workouts, etc..

I dropped down to 155 back in April at 5'9" and started eating more and no cardio until late October and made it up to 170 lbs, made amazing gains in the gym and have been dieting down since then. Back down to 155 this week with at least 5 lbs of added muscle, maybe more since April and gonna keep going until I get to 145-150 we'll see as I get closer then back to a semi-clean bulk again.

Not sure who's familiar with the app "MyFitnessPal", but I suggest it to anyone, I absolutely love it, I input everything I eat and just have my calorie goals for when I'm cutting, maintaining and bulking based on my own BMR and aim for my goal everyday. I know my macro split at the end of the day between fats, carbs, and protein as well as how much sodium, vitamins, etc.. I got that day. It's so easy to use, they even added a new feature that allows you to scan any food with a barcode (almost everything) into it and add it to your day's food.

I'm just hoping Thanksgiving doesn't hurt my diet to bad gonna have go for a run thursday morning and night.

Happy holidays everyone and good luck!

It's good to see you making progress. From previous discussions I would classify you as a hard gainer and sometimes that means its very difficult to gain muscle mass but it seems this technique is working well for you. At this point my advice is to loosen your belt and enjoy thanksgiving, then back at it. Lol
Old 11-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #1102
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Guys, I am a natural amateur bodybuilder and a personal trainer in my area I also have a few athletes that I train in other states and do consultations through FaceTime/skype. I am currently going to school for a physics major and mechanical engineering minor.
I have competed in one competition and dieted by myself; and I came in first in teens 3rd in men's middleweight. I have trained over 30 individuals of which 90% of the goal was weight loss. The other 10% being competition driven individuals. I site all factual based information I give from science. I do not just expect you to take my word for everything. I prove it.
With all of that said a man with the screen name SSGT has done a great courtesy to me. So I would like to pay it forward by offering to answer any and all question I can for anyone that needs it. So if you are looking to gain muscle, lose fat, understand the best way to do a specific exercise, or understand the fundamentals of muscle protein synthesis and how to optimize it for your goals. Please feel free to PM me!
I can also refer you to some great videos by dr layne norton, and Olympia competitor Ben Pakulski.

Regards,
Andrew
Old 11-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #1103
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I'm still around. Being sick, work & weather have been playing havoc with my exercize routine the last couple of weeks but I'm still trying to eat healthy. I have gotten to be quite the runner. My exercise class is a mix of all ages & sizes of ladies. 2 days a week our instructor has had us doing exercises and fast walk, run, jog sort of circuit training style after the dance class. I started lapping everyone even the young girls. Now she holds me back & starts everyone else telling them if I pass them their lap does not count & they have to do another one. Then she tells me "go get them" & I take off. It is kind of fun. I look rather like a sprinter. It is helping too. Me & them. I am sure going to miss that class when my job moves. Both the dance/exercise part and the after class exercise/run part have been really good for me. I had to get rid of all my size 12 pants & need to purge the size 10 ones too as even my new size 8 ones are starting to feel a little loose. The little deposits of fat here & there are gettng smaller but they are still there so I'm not happy yet. More work to do.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #1104
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
I'm still around. Being sick, work & weather have been playing havoc with my exercize routine the last couple of weeks but I'm still trying to eat healthy. I have gotten to be quite the runner. My exercise class is a mix of all ages & sizes of ladies. 2 days a week our instructor has had us doing exercises and fast walk, run, jog sort of circuit training style after the dance class. I started lapping everyone even the young girls. Now she holds me back & starts everyone else telling them if I pass them their lap does not count & they have to do another one. Then she tells me "go get them" & I take off. It is kind of fun. I look rather like a sprinter. It is helping too. Me & them. I am sure going to miss that class when my job moves. Both the dance/exercise part and the after class exercise/run part have been really good for me. I had to get rid of all my size 12 pants & need to purge the size 10 ones too as even my new size 8 ones are starting to feel a little loose. The little deposits of fat here & there are gettng smaller but they are still there so I'm not happy yet. More work to do.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
That's great, fat didn't accumulate overnight and doesn't disappear overnight either. Keep up with good nutrition and exercise and you'll get there. I'm glad to see that your running isn't a steady pace, for some reason some still think steady state cardio is the key to fat loss but IT IS NOT. Interval training, especially HIIT is much more efficient for burning fat AND retaining muscle.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #1105
Ghost1LE

Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
It's good to see you making progress. From previous discussions I would classify you as a hard gainer and sometimes that means its very difficult to gain muscle mass but it seems this technique is working well for you. At this point my advice is to loosen your belt and enjoy thanksgiving, then back at it. Lol
Haha not a problem man I will be taking the belt off for thanksgiving

And actually I'm not a hard gainer at all, just the opposite, I can gain weight REALLY easily but along with muscle comes a lot of fat, and that's what makes it a struggle for me is making sure I keep my intake high enough to gain mass but not enough to gain too much fat. But in the end eating clean rather than dirty bulking gives me better results so Its the best in my opinion.

I wish I was a hard gainer, but I guess there are ups and downs for each end of the spectrum
Old 11-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #1106
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Still at it though not as much....battling hamstring, shoulder, and elbow problems....

So I'm just meandering for now...only lifted about 8 times in 12 weeks. Still rehabing my elbow, then blew a hamstring, then moved, then f'd my shoulder up moving....

Benched 405 last week and squatted 500 for shits and giggles...BW about 210....

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote