Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-03-2010, 05:55 PM   #15
hb35man

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Aqua Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtwo View Post
Good feedback so far.

So Turtle wax Ice seems to be a consensus, maybe Mequires (any specific one). Is that a liquid or paste? Some talked about some spray on?! That seems too Armor All-ish. Does the spray really protect or just a coating that will come off by the next wash?

I typically only wax once a year, and that's enough for me. It takes long enough to wash this car, I certainly don't want to spend hours more waxing it frequently too.

I do sound lazy, but I have other stuff I'd rather be doing!

Also, do you wax the matte stripes or try to avoid them?
Nothing wrong with being lazy considering your waxing schedule you might want to check in to having a pro detail once or twice a year instead.Around here it runs $150-$200.I send my wifes car in a couple of times a year because.......um I'm lazy
hb35man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #16
nl12

Drives: Unicycle
Zaino is the stuff, super fast and easy for me.
nl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #17
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Ice..... super easy to use and seems to have decent durability.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #18
2010SSRS

Drives: 2000 Silverado
Quote:
I unfortunately have no desire for a several step waxing process as I understand Zaino involves. What type of other wax product would be best for the Yellow Camaro. Does it need be only Carnuba sort of wax or would the $7 Nu Finish stuff be just fine. Like found here..

I'm sure some will have strong opinions on this, but most things don't live up to their claim when compared to super cheap alternatives that work just as well or better. Water spot remover vs vinager and water mixture...etc...

Who can enlighten us with a good alternative to Zaino for us lazy owners?!
ok........theres a kit on Zainos website for Zaino wash, All in one polish, spray polish and applicator. you wash it whenever, polish 1 or 2 times a year and spray polish when ya want a deeper luster. really no different than anything else and it does last longer because its synthetic based.

the $7 Nu Finish is the best carnuba wax i've ever used but the white residue is a pain.

i use Zaino on the Camaro and my bikes. but the winter salt/sands here in WI i use Nu Finish on my truck because it's cheaper, and i dont drive my Camaro unless it's nice out!

VR 2SSRS LS3 - Borla, SLP CAI
2010SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #19
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
I alternate between Ice and NXT 2.0... I usually polish with the ice and then wax with the NXT 2.0. I use Meguiars spray detailer after washes between waxes, it really brings out the gloss quickly and has "hydrophobic" stuff in it so it helps it to bead like crazy. Just my .02
Old 01-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #20
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Quote:
I unfortunately have no desire for a several step waxing process as I understand Zaino involves. What type of other wax product would be best for the Yellow Camaro. Does it need be only Carnuba sort of wax or would the $7 Nu Finish stuff be just fine. Like found here..

I'm sure some will have strong opinions on this, but most things don't live up to their claim when compared to super cheap alternatives that work just as well or better. Water spot remover vs vinager and water mixture...etc...

Who can enlighten us with a good alternative to Zaino for us lazy owners?!

If you wont something OTC (over the counter) go to your nearest Auto
parts store and Pick-up some Mequires 2.0 Tech wax..it has some fillers
in it that will hide some of the swirls and being that it is a sealant it
should give you atleast 3 or 4 months of protection.From what I have
heard, this is some of the best OTC stuff you can get. Now sometimes
you can find Meg's #26 pure carnauba in stores that I know from
experience has a great look, but since carnauba's dont typically last as
long, and your lazy I dont recomend it..Also IMO a sealant will do a
better job at making your yellow paint pop than a nuba..You really
should look into the professional line,you might spend more but you
will get better durability and longer protection...Here's a few from
a member's post on AutoGeek were you can buy most of this stuff.

Based on the goodly number of testimonies I have read over the past year and limited personal experience, here are some suggestions for the "best" carnauba waxes and synthetic sealants under $250 (retail):

Carnauba Waxes:

$10-$15: Meguiar's M26 Yellow Tech Wax, Collinite 845, Optimum Car Wax

$15-$20: Natty's Blue, Natty's Red, Clearkote Carnauba Moose Wax, Collinite 476, Harly Wax, S100

$20-$30: Collinite 915, DP Max Wax

$30-$40: Lusso Oro, P21S

$40-$50: Pinnacle Signature, P21S 100%, Victoria Concours Red

$50-$60: Blackfire Midnight Sun, Chemical Guys 50/50, Chemical Guys Pete's '53, Wet Obsession

$60-$75: Dodo Juices

$75-$100: Pinnacle Souveran, Rubbish Boys' Original Edition

$100-$125: Dodo Juice Supernatural, Zymol Glasur

$125-$150: Swissvax Saphir, Swissvax Zuffenhausen

$150-$200: Wolfgang Fuzion, Zymol Concours

$200-$250: Swissvax Concorso/Best of Show/Smaragd

$250+: You must have very deep pockets!

Synthetic Sealants:

$10-$15: DuraGloss 105, Mother's FX SynWax, Jeff Werkstatt's Acrylic Jet Trigger, Zaino Z-2 Pro

$15-$20: Meguiar's NXT, Mother's Relections, Finish Kare Hi Temp Synthetic Paste Wax (1000p), 1Z Glanz Wax, Jeff Werkstatt's Acrylic Jet, Poorboy's EX-P, Zaino Z-5 Pro, Ultima Paint Guard Plus (4 oz.)

$20-$30: Blackfire Wet Diamond, Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, Opti-Seal (8 oz.), Meguiar's M21 Synthetic Sealant

$30-$40: Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, Menzerna FMJ, Chemical Guys Jet Seal, Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection

$40+: Why is it we are willing to pay so much more for a carnauba wax than a synthetic sealant?

Cleaner Waxes

$5-$10: Meguiar's ColorX, Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, Mother's Carnauba Cleaner Wax

$10-$15: DuraGloss 501, AutoGlym Super Resin Polish

$15-$20: Optimum Poli-Seal, Jeff's Werkstatt Prime

$20-$30: Meguiar's M20 Polymer Sealant, Klasse All-in-One, Zaino Z-AIO, Jeff's Werkstatt Prime (Acrylic, Carnauba, Strong), M66 Quick Detailer Polish (gallon)

$30-$40: Meguiar's D151 Paint Reconditioning Creme (gallon)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-sealants.html
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #21
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SSRS Rally Yellow
You mentioned you have stripes...I encountered the same dilemma. After a lot of research and calling the owners of most brands, I decided on Adam's Polishes. The Buttery Wax is applied by hand and easily removed and leaves no residue. I apply directly to the stripes and found that it not only protects the stripes, but also gives them a rich deep black. I bought the $160 package which gives you the essentials. The detail spray works great when removing light dust. It even works great in removing the brake dust at the end of the day, which I'm sure you've already encountered.

--Eddie
eynigush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:08 PM   #22
RJT-Maro
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Supercharged RJT SS!
Send a message via AIM to RJT-Maro
I got some of the Meguiars NXT 2.0 Wax I have yet to use but I plan on washing the car tommorrow then will wax it and take pictures.

The main reason I got it is so I could get the micro-scratches off of the car(caused from washing) And it specializes in that and removing swirl marks while giving it a nice clean shine.

"NXT GenerationŪ Tech WaxŪ 2.0 Paste is a scientific breakthrough that introduces a new dimension of gloss and protection. This improved formula produces unbelievably deep, vibrant color and a dramatically clear wet look. New Hydrophobic Polymer Technology™ provides relentless water beading and protection against oxidation, corrosion, UV rays and surface degradation. "Hydrophobic" means "water-fearing" and this new breakthrough technology builds such incredible protection and surface tension that water beads up and just glides off your paint finish, wash after wash!"

That is from their website which is: http://meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G12711

Check it out you might like it.
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger, ARH 1 7/8 LT Headers with 3" X-Pipe, Borla S-Type Axle-Back, DMH Low Profile Exhaust Cut-Outs, MTI Racing CAI, Stage 2 Camshaft(227/239 .614/.624) with new springs, Katech C5R Z Timing Chain, LS7 Bowtie Damper, MTI Hot Spark Plug Wires, MTI Racing Lowering Springs and Swaybars, Aluminum Oil Catch Can, 160 Degree Thermostat, MTI Tune. 554RWHP 528RWTQ Built By: MTI Racing Dyno Sheet here
RJT-Maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:39 AM   #23
Black SSnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Blk - SOLD
Blackfire Wet Diamond..........excellent results, easy application and removal. No white residue
Black SSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #24
PonyMan

Drives: 2009 C6 4lt Vert, 2011 Camaro Vert
Ice, Ice baby!!! At a local car show this summer I parked my Camaro (TW Ice) next to a Corvette (Zanio). The Zanio guy ask how I enjoyed the product? I had to tell him it was TW Ice, he spent two days putting Zanio on - I spent one hour. We did a test, asking the next ten people that came by, which black car had the best wax job - we tied (5-5). For me, I want to spend my time driving it, not rubbing on it!!!
Old 01-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #25
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Guy's...Now I'm definately no expert..but I'm telling you..one of the main
differences between a store bought product and a professional one is the
professional one will way outlast the store bought...(Hence.. some of yall
dont like waxing all the time)..there also more durable.

Like Zaino for instance...you dont haft to do like alot of guy's did(including
myself) and spend 2 day's waxing....Just order the Z-AIO (1 coat) and be
done with it...And I'll bet it will outlast anything in the store along
with a killer shine.

I personally dont think multiple coat's of Zaino give's you more shine over
just one coat...It's all about durability with extra coat's
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #26
promod55

Drives: 2010 camaro rs/ss 67 camaro
I have a yellow with the rs stripes and the ss hockey stick stripes.I use the adams buttery wax,i use it on the stripes and it does not haze the stripes.You can also get it on the rubber window trim with the same results.It is very easy to use just follow the directions and you will not be dissapointed.
promod55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #27
Farks Supercars

Drives: F1R 2010 Camaro
Honestly I have used lots of other types of wax on my car and none of them came close to Zaino. You don't have to do many steps/coats if you don't want to, just two coats will do. One of the Z-aino stuff and one of the pink show car wax. Once you see how it comes out you will never use anything else.
Farks Supercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:38 PM   #28
FLYNNZL1
Wicked ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
What "pink show car wax" are you talking about?
2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1 A10/CF Hood Insert/PDR/NAV MODS: Rotofab CAI/V-MAX CNC Ported Throttle Body/Clear Bra/LED Reverse Light/Rock Guards/Lift Pads/Darkened Tail Lights/Ghost-Tinted LED Side Markers/Darkened 3rd Brake Light
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote