Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-22-2016, 08:02 AM   #29
Fred 6528

Drives: 2011 ss
This situation sucks for both the OP and the vendor but it does appear that Texas Speed attempted to make this issue better for the OP. Texas Speed articulated exactly what they would do beyond the original warranty and stood behind their statement, the OP disagreed with them and instantly tried to intimidate them by exposing their e-mails. Again this situation sucks but at the end of the day never mod your car if not ready for what could happen to it.
Fred 6528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:51 AM   #30
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Do like me. Inspect parts before install.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:30 AM   #31
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred 6528 View Post
This situation sucks for both the OP and the vendor but it does appear that Texas Speed attempted to make this issue better for the OP. Texas Speed articulated exactly what they would do beyond the original warranty and stood behind their statement, the OP disagreed with them and instantly tried to intimidate them by exposing their e-mails. Again this situation sucks but at the end of the day never mod your car if not ready for what could happen to it.
I'm sure years before the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act was established, people would go to the local watering hour, complain about the same issues and get the same responses I have on this thread; some supportive, some not and some saying that is what could happen if you decide to modify your car.

While the Magnuson-Moss Act does not cover anything involving after market parts privately purchased, I bring it up because someone or some people got sick of the industry trying to pull fast ones on them. Sure, the limited liability on a aftermarket part is there to keep people from telling a company you owe me, in the event the part in installed properly or abused. That I understand.

Before I posted this story I wanted to make certain this was not caused from improper installation from my end. The tech locally stated this was a milling defect and the head was assembled at Texas Speed and sent out that way. I am not a mechanical savy person so when the parts arrived, I left them in the sealed boxes and gave them to the tech in that condition, unopened.

If we, as consumers, allow companies to produce faulty products without some sort of consequences then they will continue to sell inferior products and make profit on the people who make an assumption that they well be there to support us in the event there ever is a mistake made by them.

I hear people all the time upset when I factory parts fails on there vehicle and hold the company accountable. Do you think the company would just tell you to suck it up if they could get away with it? Would you think it would be okay for a company to sell you a defective vehicle and then hid behind a policy that absolved them of any wrongdoing? Many of you may think this is comparing apples and oranges but the bottom line is its the same issues, there are just laws for one.
PFADT stage 3 suspension kit, SW LTH, SW cat less retro exhaust, MGW short throw, 3.91 gears, MRR Z28 wheels, Roto Fab CAI, SLP underpully, 255cc ported heads, TSP 229/236 Cam, ZL1 pump, Street Slayer Twin Carbon clutch, ID850 injectors, Snow Stage III Meth kit
480whp/460wtq tuned by Dynosty
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:14 PM   #32
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskacamaro View Post
I'm sure years before the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act was established, people would go to the local watering hour, complain about the same issues and get the same responses I have on this thread; some supportive, some not and some saying that is what could happen if you decide to modify your car.

While the Magnuson-Moss Act does not cover anything involving after market parts privately purchased, I bring it up because someone or some people got sick of the industry trying to pull fast ones on them. Sure, the limited liability on a aftermarket part is there to keep people from telling a company you owe me, in the event the part in installed properly or abused. That I understand.

Before I posted this story I wanted to make certain this was not caused from improper installation from my end. The tech locally stated this was a milling defect and the head was assembled at Texas Speed and sent out that way. I am not a mechanical savy person so when the parts arrived, I left them in the sealed boxes and gave them to the tech in that condition, unopened.

If we, as consumers, allow companies to produce faulty products without some sort of consequences then they will continue to sell inferior products and make profit on the people who make an assumption that they well be there to support us in the event there ever is a mistake made by them.

I hear people all the time upset when I factory parts fails on there vehicle and hold the company accountable. Do you think the company would just tell you to suck it up if they could get away with it? Would you think it would be okay for a company to sell you a defective vehicle and then hid behind a policy that absolved them of any wrongdoing? Many of you may think this is comparing apples and oranges but the bottom line is its the same issues, there are just laws for one.
MMW Act has nothing to do with your situation.

There was an issue noted immediately after install, and due diligence was not pursued to find the real issue. If this had been done, and there was a defect on the part, while I can't speak for the vendor, they might have been willing to work with you on the shop time to R/R the part, as it would've been under warranty and a fresh install.

However, over 1000 miles were put on the part from install to discovery. A lot can happen in 1000 miles. This was your decision to do this. You could have very well told the original installer, at the first sign of blue smoke, that you wanted the valve train checked, and again, as a professional mechanic, he should've recommended this.

At the time of discovery, the part was beyond warranty. I understand that there was delay to get the part installed. However, that is not the vendor's problem. Once you receive the part, the warranty clock starts ticking. You could've found someone else to install the heads at that time. The delay was your option, not theirs.

So now, you address the vendor with this problem, on an out of warranty part, with several hundred miles on that part. They could've very well told you to pound sand, as many companies would do. But they chose to respect the mere possibility that it could have been a defect, and gave you a new head. IMHO that's more than fair. Yet you seem to want to punch a gift horse in the mouth.

I agree with the general consensus here. Look, if you want to get in to the modding game, you need one of two things, either deep enough pockets to cover the repair replace costs, or a good set of tools.

While your post might make me reconsider their aftermarket heads if I were going that route, it certainly doesn't make me think they are not a good and fair company to deal with. Again, I would say they are being more than fair with you on this one.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:14 PM   #33
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Sorry to read about your misfortune. It does suck when you mod your car expecting a certain expense and then something breaks causing even more expense. I once installed an intake manifold (10 years ago) on a 2003 Mustang GT I owned and accidentally dropped a washer into the port. Once I started the car up the washer got sucked in and wedged itself between a valve and the head surface causing the valve to remain open. Needless to say, the entire engine had to be removed, torn down, and rebuilt. The good thing was that my best friend did all the work for me for the price or the parts and charged me only $900 for the labor. Stuff like this happens all the time man.

With that said, when you mod, you're increasing your chances of engine failure. Most companies that warranty a part will only warranty that part. Not anything else that may be damaged due to that part failure. Except for supercharger warranties. They warranty the labor and all parts if the supercharger or the tuning is responsible. However those warranties cost about $1500-$2000 and require specific shops to do the labor. Heads, headers, cams, etc are different. The warranty covers the defective part and that is all. It doesn't cover labor or anything else. So TSP is doing what they're supposed to do. The fact that they're honoring the warranty even after it was over is going the extra mile. It sucks, but you can't really get mad at them.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:11 PM   #34
cap384465

Drives: 2012 camaro ss/ls3 m10 transmission
What ever became of this currently in the same situation on a gen 5 lt1 stroker only 3500 miles on a new motor spent 14,000 on them now I’m scared
Attached Images

cap384465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:16 PM   #35
Pro-tuned
Angewendet Ingenieur

Drives: 14 Camaro ZL1
I run TSP PRC heads and never had a problem and I would buy them again. I believe that TSP stood up and covered something they were not obligated to. If I go to GM and ask them to cover something out of warranty or attempt to seek compensation on a modified part then I already know the outcome of that... I find the offer generous from TSP but also find it to be a misfortunate situation too. I accept when I start modifying my car that the risk is on me or I just don’t modify my car...
Pro-tuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:22 AM   #36
ntncoronado1

Drives: 2010 SS
Everyone is for the company, until its their car with the damage.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
ntncoronado1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:01 AM   #37
Redbeard11

Drives: 11 camaro
Bought a set of preassembly prc heads as well.6 months later intake valve breaks off idling thru a red light and destroyed the motor. Will never use anything of texas speed again.
2011 1SS/ Thompson mtrsprts 416,Katech rotate assembly and cnc ls3 heads. Ferrera st. valves,BTR 685 Spr. F1A Procharger,3.70 pulley on 12 rib.Holley aux fuel pump,ZL1 fp and fpcm,dual alky control,Vmax TB,DSX E-85 sensor, fic1300 inj.Lsxperts custom cam,melling OP,mishimoto dual pass HX, ARH 2" headers, MD 4l80e, FTI 3200 stall,3:73 zl1 cradle, BC coil overs ,pfadt sway bars, EBC brakes and slotted rotors: 843rwhp tuned by LSXPERTS
Redbeard11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:48 AM   #38
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
So what does PRC stand for?
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:51 PM   #39
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Sorry to read about your misfortune. It does suck when you mod your car expecting a certain expense and then something breaks causing even more expense. I once installed an intake manifold (10 years ago) on a 2003 Mustang GT I owned and accidentally dropped a washer into the port. Once I started the car up the washer got sucked in and wedged itself between a valve and the head surface causing the valve to remain open. Needless to say, the entire engine had to be removed, torn down, and rebuilt. The good thing was that my best friend did all the work for me for the price or the parts and charged me only $900 for the labor. Stuff like this happens all the time man.

With that said, when you mod, you're increasing your chances of engine failure. Most companies that warranty a part will only warranty that part. Not anything else that may be damaged due to that part failure. Except for supercharger warranties. They warranty the labor and all parts if the supercharger or the tuning is responsible. However those warranties cost about $1500-$2000 and require specific shops to do the labor. Heads, headers, cams, etc are different. The warranty covers the defective part and that is all. It doesn't cover labor or anything else. So TSP is doing what they're supposed to do. The fact that they're honoring the warranty even after it was over is going the extra mile. It sucks, but you can't really get mad at them.
I ask myself how such a seals can be damaged in this way on the installation of factory-assembled heads and if not by the installation, how can this fault be caused by driving.

I was doing this on an old small block right now.

And if I do everything well, the engine will live me longer than I do.

Sorry, but I see a mistake in TSP
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:19 PM   #40
John_C
LSx FTW!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VvtBEAST View Post
Wow, you have me buggin now.... im having the same issue here with oil consumption. PRC heads milled .020... i went as far as replacing the valve seals but it looks as if im still having a issue. Gonna reroute my catchcan lines and hope it goes away but now im worried..... best of luck man! Mine only have 5k miles on them and were purchased in july of this year. I hope they r not suffering from the same or similar issue..... hmmmm
I had oil consumption issues after TFS GenX 255 heads.

Turned out, the guy I had install them did not read the directions and failed to seal the Intake Rocker Arm Bolts.

If they are not sealed, oil can get sucked right in to the combustion chambers.

This applies to some ported heads and after-market heads where the port work cuts in and exposes the intake rocker arm bolt.
Kooks Jet Hot Headers
Kooks Full 3in exhaust
Trick Flow GenX 255's
Polished PAC .660's & Ti-retainers
TSP VVT 3.2 cam kit w/DoD Delete
Smith Bro's Trunnion kit
AEM X-Series OBDII Widebands
FIC ID1300x Injectors
GM ZL1 High Output Fuel Pump
DSX Tuning Flex Sensor
DSX Auxiliary Fuel System
Tim King Stage 4 Max Effort CTSV 6L90
DSS 1 piece aluminum driveshaft
JRE 6L80E / 6L90E Dipstick
NGK Iridium IX spark plugs #7 heat range
Mighty Mouse Camaro 5 Wild w/-12an and Billet Black
HP Tuners VCM Suite
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:51 PM   #41
_Onyx_Wolf_
Onyx_Z7 <— Instagram

Drives: 2013 2ss 1le
Wondering if Texas speed can chime in on this I was looking at getting some PRC heads this summer
_Onyx_Wolf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:09 PM   #42
dino2012ls3

Drives: 2012 ls3
I was on the fence of getting some PRC 260s myself.
dino2012ls3 is offline   Reply With Quote