Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-19-2020, 07:02 PM   #1
Ledwards70

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Angry AC/Actuator Door Class Action

I have a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro V6. I started having problems with my air conditioning. When I would turn on the cold it will blow out hot, when I would turn on the heating It would blow cold, so I decided to take it into the Chevrolet dealer in Folsom and they explained to me that my actuator door was broken. Which means I would have to remove my windshield, my dashboard and the center console. I had the work completed on July 29th, 2016. I paid a total of $2,070.09. I started noticing the same problem happening in September of 2019, so I called the dealership that performed the work and told them that I was experiencing the same issues. They then told me that my warranty was up, because it was only a 3yr warranty.Basically telling me that there is nothing that they could do for me. So, I decided to call GM. They then told me to have a diagnostic done to make sure it was the same issue and to contact them once the diagnostic was completed, they would see if anything could be done for me or if they could help me in any way. I did what they asked. I paid $165 for a diagnostic.The diagnosis was the same exact issue that I repaired previously in 2016 , the only difference now Is that they want $2,425. Long story short, GM is refusing to help with the repairs.The Chevrolet dealers are using a cheap plastic part for the actuator door, knowing that it will be short-lived once they install it in your car and it will last no longer than three years. That's why there's only a three year warranty. Once that warranty is up, you'll be back at the Chevy dealer paying over 2 grand for the exact same repairs that they did previously on your car. To prevent this from happening to any other Chevy Camaro consumers, I wouldn't like to get a class action lawsuit started against them. If anyone is having the same issue with your Chevy Camaro’s A/C please feel free to contact me via email at (angrycamaroowner@gmail.com) and we can work together to figure out a solution.

Last edited by Ledwards70; 03-19-2020 at 07:03 PM. Reason: forgot to put email address in
Ledwards70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
John_C
LSx FTW!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
I've got a 2010 2SS RS with just over 50k miles and no issues yet thank God.

I've seen some here take a drimmel and cut a square out to access the part and make for an easy fix. Might want to try that for now while you wait on the fix.
Kooks Jet Hot Headers
Kooks Full 3in exhaust
Trick Flow GenX 255's
Polished PAC .660's & Ti-retainers
TSP VVT 3.2 cam kit w/DoD Delete
Smith Bro's Trunnion kit
AEM X-Series OBDII Widebands
FIC ID1300x Injectors
GM ZL1 High Output Fuel Pump
DSX Tuning Flex Sensor
DSX Auxiliary Fuel System
Tim King Stage 4 Max Effort CTSV 6L90
DSS 1 piece aluminum driveshaft
JRE 6L80E / 6L90E Dipstick
NGK Iridium IX spark plugs #7 heat range
Mighty Mouse Camaro 5 Wild w/-12an and Billet Black
HP Tuners VCM Suite
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:30 PM   #3
curt.r

Drives: a Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledwards70 View Post
I have a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro V6. I started having problems with my air conditioning. When I would turn on the cold it will blow out hot, when I would turn on the heating It would blow cold, so I decided to take it into the Chevrolet dealer in Folsom and they explained to me that my actuator door was broken. Which means I would have to remove my windshield, my dashboard and the center console. I had the work completed on July 29th, 2016. I paid a total of $2,070.09. I started noticing the same problem happening in September of 2019, so I called the dealership that performed the work and told them that I was experiencing the same issues. They then told me that my warranty was up, because it was only a 3yr warranty.Basically telling me that there is nothing that they could do for me. So, I decided to call GM. They then told me to have a diagnostic done to make sure it was the same issue and to contact them once the diagnostic was completed, they would see if anything could be done for me or if they could help me in any way. I did what they asked. I paid $165 for a diagnostic.The diagnosis was the same exact issue that I repaired previously in 2016 , the only difference now Is that they want $2,425. Long story short, GM is refusing to help with the repairs.The Chevrolet dealers are using a cheap plastic part for the actuator door, knowing that it will be short-lived once they install it in your car and it will last no longer than three years. That's why there's only a three year warranty. Once that warranty is up, you'll be back at the Chevy dealer paying over 2 grand for the exact same repairs that they did previously on your car. To prevent this from happening to any other Chevy Camaro consumers, I wouldn't like to get a class action lawsuit started against them. If anyone is having the same issue with your Chevy Camaro’s A/C please feel free to contact me via email at (angrycamaroowner@gmail.com) and we can work together to figure out a solution.
I'm probably going to be the minority opinion in this, but it really sounds like Chevrolet knows how to warranty a part. They offered a 3 year warranty on the part, expecting it to last the full 3 years, and it did. These cars are getting up there in age now and are expected for old-age car things to start happening to them. Starting a class action lawsuit (if you gain enough traction) seems a bit out there being that this is a wear item, it poses no safety concerns/threats, and only started popping up recently (due to age).

I know it's upsetting to fork out all that cash for the same thing to happen after the warranty is over, but that's also how companies stay in business. Same reason goes for why car manufacturers only warranty a car for so long. They calculated it out and know after that amount of time or mileage, a certain amount of wear and tear occurs, that is really just that: wear and tear. Warranty-ing that wear and tear, would make them lose money.

Like I said, I don't see a class-action lawsuit being started up, but best of luck to you. If you can get Chevrolet to warranty these, that'd be cool.
2011 Camaro 2LT/RS - BBK LT Headers w/ High-Flow Cats, MRT v1 Axle-Back, Cold Air Inductions CAI, SLP 1" Drop Springs, Vitesse Throttle Controller, Drake Billet Shifter, NPP rear diffuser, B.E.S.T. Stainless Steel Quad Exhaust, Clear Smoked Side Markers, Anvil Notch Spoiler, SS Front Bumper, Heritage Grille, SLP front splitter
curt.r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:18 PM   #4
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Good luck. 100,000's 2007-13 cracked dash board truck and suv owners are still waiting as well. Get in line.. I'm one of them.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:21 PM   #5
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i dont see why someone couldnt fabricate a metal door with better hinges and market it if the demand is there.what % of people experience this failure?
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:35 PM   #6
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
i dont see why someone couldnt fabricate a metal door with better hinges and market it if the demand is there.what % of people experience this failure?
If this ever happens to mine that’s exactly what I’m gonna do for my self. If it works maybe I’ll sell a few.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:53 PM   #7
curt.r

Drives: a Chevy
Quote:
Wouldn't a metal actuator door but too much strain on the vent motor? I feel like GM went with plastic for not only cost reasons, but weight as well.
2011 Camaro 2LT/RS - BBK LT Headers w/ High-Flow Cats, MRT v1 Axle-Back, Cold Air Inductions CAI, SLP 1" Drop Springs, Vitesse Throttle Controller, Drake Billet Shifter, NPP rear diffuser, B.E.S.T. Stainless Steel Quad Exhaust, Clear Smoked Side Markers, Anvil Notch Spoiler, SS Front Bumper, Heritage Grille, SLP front splitter
curt.r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:11 PM   #8
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.r View Post
Wouldn't a metal actuator door but too much strain on the vent motor? I feel like GM went with plastic for not only cost reasons, but weight as well.
In my mind It’s a lot easier to replace the motor than blend door. If I come across this I’m gonna make it out of aluminum to save as much weight as possible.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:21 PM   #9
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Nice Solution

This 30 minute $40 solution is often used instead of the $2,500 roundabout method of taking the car apart. Did you explore this? Fairly simple if you have used a dremel before.
Fun fix.
https://youtu.be/Py-2ukNVAGs
If Chevy had factory installed this access door he made in the video it would even be quicker than 30 minutes. Next time it breaks it will be super fast to swap in the new blend door.
This solution is eons faster than filing a "Class Action". lol
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.

Last edited by ron123; 03-21-2020 at 03:39 PM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 02:17 AM   #10
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:

If it were metal, then the motor would break instead of the door. Yeah,
easier to replace than that huge flapping door..

The reason the doors are breaking at the motor end, is because when you
go full cold, to the BLUE dot, the door stops, but the motor keeps twisting
on the door. Eventually, it twists off at the door end. There is a video out
there that shows this. So, you have to stop two hash marks before the
cold blue DOT so it doesn't keep twisting on the plastic when the door
goes as far as it can, but the motor will keep torque on it.
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:42 PM   #11
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
There are several threads already on here about the dreaded blend door failure (and hack). I bought my 2014 LFX Automatic with 40k miles, and the stories that I've read about that stupid blend door have me terrified to even touch the AC at all. Looks like I'll be sweating to the oldies this summer, gunning around town with my windows down.
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:04 AM   #12
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderJ View Post
There are several threads already on here about the dreaded blend door failure (and hack). I bought my 2014 LFX Automatic with 40k miles, and the stories that I've read about that stupid blend door have me terrified to even touch the AC at all. Looks like I'll be sweating to the oldies this summer, gunning around town with my windows down.

You will be fine if you do not go all the way to the blue dot.

You can physically put a hard stop in under the dial so you can't turn it
that far back COLD.
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 04:37 AM   #13
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by '10CamaroDude View Post
You will be fine if you do not go all the way to the blue dot.

You can physically put a hard stop in under the dial so you can't turn it
that far back COLD.
Care to elaborate on how to do this? Sounds like a good idea.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:04 PM   #14
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
Care to elaborate on how to do this? Sounds like a good idea.

There was a posting in one of the innumerable blend door hack threads (I can't seem to locate the appropriate one at the moment) detailing how to remove the knob and place a "stopper" in there.

I'm just going the old school route and putting a marker indicator on the knob and not touching the AC just to be safe. I'm hoping to sell the car in the next few years and buy something much more low key and reliable. My son really wants his car back, anyway, so I'll probably keep it until he fulfills his end of the deal (graduate from college and get a job).
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
actuator, air conditioner repair, door bend, lawsuit, problem