Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 05-04-2018, 10:09 AM   #1
Kawijames

Drives: 2014 SS/RS
Silver State Classic

Has anyone on the forum competed in it? Looking for insight on tech specifically.

I know I have to hard mount my fire extinguisher but I'm curious where others have mounted theirs as I'm not making this a track only car. Thanks in advance!
Kawijames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:55 PM   #2
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Ran it in 2016. Great time, and other forum members here will chime in who have many more runs than I do. The event website has very specific requirements based on what speed slot you're running. If it's your first time, you'll start at no higher than the 110mph (max speed no higher than 125), so the requirements are lower than others. My fire extinguisher mounts to the front passenger front seat bolts. You have to be able to reach it, so most do that location or the center of a harness bar or roll bar. Other than that, there are requirements for metal tire valve stem caps, tires of a specific rating and wear levels, seat belts or harnesses (specific to speed levels), and a few others I may not be thinking of. Overall, it's a great time, Ely is a cool town, and the folks there, both race staff and citizens, were awesome!

I'm sure Mark will chime in here soon. He's one of the most knowledgable about the race.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:42 PM   #3
Kawijames

I greatly appreciate the input! I'll be in the touring class as it's my first time.

My plan was to get another rear seat back and bolt the metal extinguisher mount to it and just keep the seat folded down. I see lots of 5th gens getting parted out and I dont want to kill the original leather one.

I don't want to run a cage for a few reasons, one I'm 6'6 and getting in the car is already funny to watch. Secondly, the camaro is my DD/toy and I do have my wife and daughter running amuck with me quite often, a cage would put an end to that pretty quickly.

Caging the SS would mean I'd be back in the Silverado for DD/ family outings and well, that sucks.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:22 AM   #4
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
A fire extinguisher mount attached at the front bolts of the passenger seat does not get in the way of everyday use, and for DD time you're probably not going to have the extinguisher aboard anyway. Paint it the same color as your carpeting and you'll hardly notice that it's there.

Picture is for rough space visualization purposes only. For the SS Classic you're probably going to need to use a metal strap instead.

Norm
Old 05-05-2018, 09:15 AM   #5
Kawijames

For some reason I was thinking something totally different. That would work much better and with much less hassle. It'd be easy for me to weld up a mount that would work the same in front of either seat.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:03 PM   #6
51LE50

Drives: 2015 1LE, 2SS, Bright Yellow
Silver State - Nevada Open Road?

Are you doing the NORC? I'm car no. 201 and signed for the 110 mph Touring class.
51LE50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:52 PM   #7
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I have run it 11 times, what are your concerns?
Old 05-13-2018, 01:04 PM   #8
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
There's the boss^......Let the questions begin!
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:55 PM   #9
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
There's the boss^......Let the questions begin!
Thanks Pete, i know this wasn't your cup of tea, but the Grand Touring (and of course the 155 class is in a different league) and a simple harness bar 6pt etc. Is a WHOLE new rush, I would try it again. To The OP, check this out.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424227
Old 05-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #10
51LE50

Drives: 2015 1LE, 2SS, Bright Yellow
NORC, 2018

What a great time that was! The course was great and the road as smooth as glass.

Cal Trans could learn a lot from NDOT on how to build a road.

Went through the radar at 122 because nowhere on the course is a racer exempt from the Tech Speed limit (unless one is racing Unlimited class) and I did not want a DQ.
Got into some rain at about mile 50 and we were told of yellow flags on the course to warn us of it ahead.

I was woefully underprepared to keep up with the time - a navigator would make the task so much easier - so I memorized the mile markers of the challenging parts and finished 34 seconds ahead,16th out of 21.
They did a fantastic job of organizing the event and especially so as this was the first time of the new two way course.
Moving forward, the NORC will be done two way and the SSC will remain as one way.
New news; the staff is trying to work with Sand Hills and Big Bend to make a championship series.
Folks came from Alaska, Hawaii, the team Cold Steel from Canada (3 or 4 cars), and maybe a dozen or so from Texas, Arizona and so on.
Two cars had 2 had mechanical issues and pulled off at course worker sites.
Definitely a good time and I want to do it again.
51LE50 is offline   Reply With Quote