Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 02-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
MaRoFreK

Drives: IOM 1SS w/factory Hurst
Diablo Predator tuner! Thoughts?

I'm gonna buy a Diablo tuner this evening I was just wondering what everyones thoughts were on the Diablo. Is it a good buy? Have you had luck? who can get custom tunes? Thanks

Stainless works Catback with Flowmaster Single Chamber Mufflers, Vararam, Factory Hurst, SLP SS emblems, SLP Skip Shift
MaRoFreK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
I have a predator, and honestly? I wish I had gotten the SCT from Ted Jannetty. I couldn't find a vendor that could help walk me through the ins and outs of it. Ended up having to figure it all out for myself. That and the Predator only allows for like 30 seconds of data logging.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
MaRoFreK

I honestly don't even know what the data logging thing is used for. As far as for gains how is it? And I was under the impression you just plugged it in and let it go after you slected the tune you wanted.

Stainless works Catback with Flowmaster Single Chamber Mufflers, Vararam, Factory Hurst, SLP SS emblems, SLP Skip Shift
Old 02-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Well yes, if you're just using the Diablo tune. But if you ever want a custom tube from Ted, you'll want to data log to make sure it's all running good.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
MaRoFreK

Oh ok got ya!! How much data log time do you need?

Old 02-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
fourmz
Fourmz

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 1968 Firebird 1994 Z28
I had the predator unit and thought it was a handy tool until I purchased my cam package from Ted at JRE. I bought the SCT tuner and sold my predator to a friend of mine. After using both I like the SCT better, its easier to use and I can do more with it.And, the data logging feature is better on the SCT.
Black-in-Black/Blue out 2010 2SS/RS LS-3 -Magnacharger TVS2300,OD cog belt drive, 3.4" pulley, Janetty smooth idle blower cam,ID-850 injectors,ZL1 fuel pump,MSD boost a pump, ADM FPCM Janetty custom tune,Doug Thorley long tube headers, Corsa catback,C.A.I. Intake, Roto-Fab Big Gulp Scoop, Monster LT1/SC Clutch assembly,Eibach pro kit plus, BMR cradle/diff bushings, Barton Shifter,JRE 3.91 Eaton Tru-Trac rear diff,Barton Short Throw SHifter, Boss 339 20" wheels,Painted heritage grille, Sparks Restoration Inverted blue/black SS emblems, Seibon BB carbon fiber hood, ZL1 front bumper conversion.
fourmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
RANGERGOD
IDBZ M.C.

Drives: 12' IOM, 2SS, LS3
You cant go wrong with the SCTx3 from Jannetty. He will write you a tune for free that is tailored for your car a little better than the canned tune from Diablo.

And, if you buy your parts from him in the future, he will re write your tune to accomodate those performance enhancments.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
DoubleARS

Drives: 2010 Dodge Challenger
I have a predator for my Ram and and SCT from JRE with tune for my Camaro. Diablo posting on these forums about what a joke we (this forum) is sealed the deal for me.

Ted has been great and the car feels great now too.
DoubleARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
MaRoFreK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleARS View Post
Diablo posting on these forums about what a joke we (this forum) is sealed the deal for me.

Ted has been great and the car feels great now too.
I've kind of gotten that vibe. Guess I'll fork out some extra cash and get a SCT.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
DoubleARS

Drives: 2010 Dodge Challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaRoFreK View Post
I've kind of gotten that vibe. Guess I'll fork out some extra cash and get a SCT.
Considering you get a free tune if you buy it from JRE for simple bolt-ons, I don't think you can the price.
DoubleARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #11
MaRoFreK

Yep I ordered the SCT from Jannetty!!!!! with the free bolt on tune! I can't wait. stage one of my build will be about 3/4 the way done

Old 02-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #12
Bolt-onC6

Drives: 2017 Corvette
Do it right and get a real tuner like HP Tuner or LS1Edit. The handhelds are so limited. I sent Diablo a list of things I would like to have done to my tranny (when they get support) and they said they could not do some of them. Just basic things. This is with the new inTune and only then when they have tranny support. Definitely don't get the discontinued Predator!
Bolt-onC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #13
BigBlue2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IBM A6
I have lots of family in buckhannon. My grandmother lives on the hill next to St Joe's. Small world. I have the predator, and paid $135 extra for a custom tune from them. They will keep adjusting it until it is perfect. Done 3 data logs already, and it keeps getting better. I am happy with the support. And it is not that hard to use. I know you bought a sct, but I put my two sense in for anyone else looking for testimonials from the consumer. Good luck with your tuner, they make a huge difference!

Last edited by BigBlue2010; 02-28-2012 at 06:57 PM.
BigBlue2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #14
MaRoFreK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue2010 View Post
I have lots of family in buckhannon. My grandmother lives on the hill next to St Joe's. Small world. I have the predator, and paid $135 extra for a custom tune from them. They will keep adjusting it until it is perfect. Done 3 data logs already, and it keeps getting better. I am happy with the support. And it is not that hard to use. I know you bought a sct, but I put my two sense in for anyone else looking for testimonials from the consumer. Good luck with your tuner, they make a huge difference!
Very small world!! Shot me a PM I might know some of you Family. Funny thing is my wife wife works at St. Joes

Also thanks for you .02