Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Question Do I really need a tune or will the Computer re-calibrate?

I'm obviously new at this "performance tuning" business so here it goes:

1) After I install shorty headers and an "X" pipe Cat-back exhaust system along with OTR RAM Air system, will I REALLY need to get a tune in order to take advantage of the performance parts I just installed or will the computer eventually "learn" and make it's own adjustments that would equal a professional tune?

2) If I get a professional tune, will the new configuration get wiped out when the battery is diconnected or do the settings get saved into eprom chips or something, i.e., if I pay good $ for a tune, will it all get wiped out and I have to get the car re-tuned costing me even more $?

3) I think I already know the answer to this one but does getting a performance tune automatically void the warranty on the engine? I'm not worried about the warranty on the exhaust but the engine is a different story.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:04 AM   #2
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
1) You will see the gains with a tune much better than without. Sure, there will be a slight increase with the go-fast parts installed but to truely take advantage of them, a tune is a must! No, the computer will not "learn" like a tune...it will take up some slack based on some folks thoughts...myself though, a tune is a must when adding parts like this!

2) No...diconnecting the battery will not wipe out your tune...it's "burned" in there and there forever unless you rewrite it or stick in a new computer.

3) Debatable...some say no, some say yes. I heard a story about GM asking for the the entire files from a Corvette after a blown engine. They found three "adjustments" in the program and voided the warranty work. The newer cars have "black boxes" so to say so who knows untill someone tries it. I'd say your warranty will be voided...but others can chime in...
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
streetrace

Drives: a slow 2010
disconnecting battery will not wipeout tune, your warranty is up to your dealer, but if you put a hole in a piston and gm sees aftermarket intake, exhaust, your powertrain warranty is void even with the factory tune
streetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrock View Post
I'm obviously new at this "performance tuning" business so here it goes:

1) After I install shorty headers and an "X" pipe Cat-back exhaust system along with OTR RAM Air system, will I REALLY need to get a tune in order to take advantage of the performance parts I just installed or will the computer eventually "learn" and make it's own adjustments that would equal a professional tune?

I would say you can install those parts without a tune (if catted xpipe), but you will not see the same gains as with a professional tune.
2) If I get a professional tune, will the new configuration get wiped out when the battery is diconnected or do the settings get saved into eprom chips or something, i.e., if I pay good $ for a tune, will it all get wiped out and I have to get the car re-tuned costing me even more $?

No, you will not loose the tune when you disconnect the batter, the tune would actually have to be written over for you to loose it.

3) I think I already know the answer to this one but does getting a performance tune automatically void the warranty on the engine? I'm not worried about the warranty on the exhaust but the engine is a different story.

Typically it will void the warrenty if it causes the problem.

Thanks,
Crowley
Old 07-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
Edrock

Well...I'm not much of an aggressive driver, i.e., I don't go to a track or anything. Just daily driving with some fun now and then. With that said, and the fact that these types of mods are considered minimal, and hundreds, if not thousands of owners do these mods to the LSx engines all the time, and you don't hear too often of any issues being blamed on these mods,...is it reasonable to say that the risk of these mods causing issues that would void the warranty would be considerably low? Of course, I guess it might be a moot point since I would not hesitate if the warranty was already expired a few years from now, right?

BTW...Thanks all for answering my questions.

Last edited by Edrock; 07-30-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Edrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrace View Post
disconnecting battery will not wipeout tune, your warranty is up to your dealer, but if you put a hole in a piston and gm sees aftermarket intake, exhaust, your powertrain warranty is void even with the factory tune
What? With an intake and exhaust, they are going to void your warranty?

I'll have to disagree with you there. I've had intake and exhausts on my last two 4th Gens. I had the tranny go out on both of them. Did they void my warranty? Nope. Might as well be the same as having piston problems. They will NOT void a warranty just by intake and exhaust.

now, go and put a tune on it and I promise you that if GM finds out you have TUNED the computer, regardless of ANY dealer, GM WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY. A dealer can say they will fix something under warranty. But if GM pulls records and sees the tune (which is the case in the vette), say bye bye to that 5 year 100k mile warranty.

OP, I would NOT do a tune unless you are ready to pay to play.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:31 AM   #7
Edrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
What? With an intake and exhaust, they are going to void your warranty?

I'll have to disagree with you there. I've had intake and exhausts on my last two 4th Gens. I had the tranny go out on both of them. Did they void my warranty? Nope. Might as well be the same as having piston problems. They will NOT void a warranty just by intake and exhaust.

now, go and put a tune on it and I promise you that if GM finds out you have TUNED the computer, regardless of ANY dealer, GM WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY. A dealer can say they will fix something under warranty. But if GM pulls records and sees the tune (which is the case in the vette), say bye bye to that 5 year 100k mile warranty.

OP, I would NOT do a tune unless you are ready to pay to play.

Sounds like good advice TAG. I may just drive it with the mods for now and save a tune for when my warranty expires (wonder how long I can last knowing there's more power to be had by a simple tune). It'll give me something else to look forward to. Of course, after getting it done in a couple of years, I'm sure I'll be kicking myself saying... "I could have been enjoying this extra power all this time...dammit!" I guess I'll have to really think about this one. It boils down to a risk/reward decision and I've never been much of a gambling man...

Thanks again!!
Old 07-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #8
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
exhaust only voids the exhaust warranty not the powertrain warranty.

powertrain is any pc work or internals.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
streetrace

[QUOTE=TAG UR IT;738672]What? With an intake and exhaust, they are going to void your warranty?

im am holding the gm bulletin in my hand released july 10th.
first thing to inspect is for any aftermarket exhaust or intake, then take a photo of ecm calibration. now this is up to the dealer everbody knows every dealer is different.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
Blue Demon

Drives: 2006 Corvette
Quote:
This is just not true.
Blue Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:46 AM   #11
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:

im am holding the gm bulletin in my hand released july 10th.
first thing to inspect is for any aftermarket exhaust or intake, then take a photo of ecm calibration. now this is up to the dealer everbody knows every dealer is different.

well my dealer at classic chevrolet in Grapevine Texas many know who they are told me bolt on likes Cai and so for does not void the powertrain.
Longtubes ? that external and its the exhaust warranty.

Have you ever heard of someone installing headers and it messing up there car ? No now installing them wrong and messing up threads is different but it wouldnt void the powertrain warranty.

A tune , Cam or forced induction where you have to mess with factory internal parts will void the tune.

if someone voids your powertrain over exhaust they are screwing you otherwise 99% of america's car is voided a week after they get it.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:47 AM   #12
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Can I ask a dumb question? Is this car not fast enough. I am use to driving a 2500 HD Diesel Crewcab, and this car seems extremely fast, while I would also like a little different note on the exhaust, it would not be to make it faster. Thanks
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #13
streetrace

im just trying to let you guys know, my car has long tubes and will get a tune as soon as my intake shows up
i have worked at a gm dealer for almost 10 years and at my dealership we always take care of the customer, but i have many friends at other dealerships that follow what i aready posted.
2 years ago you could warranty anything, but now things have changed
Old 07-30-2009, 12:53 PM   #14
Edrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekel View Post
Can I ask a dumb question? Is this car not fast enough. I am use to driving a 2500 HD Diesel Crewcab, and this car seems extremely fast, while I would also like a little different note on the exhaust, it would not be to make it faster. Thanks
Well, to answer your question, yes, I guess it is fast enough. My reasoning is this. I am really more concerned with the sound and deep rumble feel than I am with the torque and hp because it already has that and was actually going to do an Axle back change and be done with it. I happened across some introductory deals with a Cat-back system that would have been roughly the same price as AB solutions. Then the same place is offering another great deal on shorty headers too. So instead of spending X amount of $ on AB, I am going to spend X + a little bit more and not only get the sound but more hp and torque as a bonus. Plus, to get the sound I want, I have not found an AB that will deliver what I want. I rather spend just a little more and get more bang for the buck anyway, see? This setup is 1/3 the cost of the more mainstream branded stuff but has a great reputation in the performance world from what I have read. I'm also going with CAI because I have really enjoyed the benefits on my Mustang and it is relatively cheap to boot.

As far as whether I do the tune now or later after warranty expires...I do the mods first and see what performance improvements that brings. If it is enough to satisfy me then I'll wait for the tune. If it is not quite was I was hoping for...I'll prolly roll the dice with a tune and hope for the best. Good luck fellas.