Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-27-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
InfernoFlame
SUPRMNN

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM/IOM
Thumbs up Question for the Parents out there...

Alright so I have my deposit on my car (2SS/RS IOM w/ IOA and Black Hockey) but now I have a question most parents might be asking themselves...WHAT ABOUT MY TODDLER? I know there are tethers for the back seat and all but how about a CUSTOM kids seat to match the car? But more IMPORTANTLY one that will FIT the backseat so my wife doesnt need to put her seat all the way to the front. Just a thought and I didnt know where to post the thread...We have a RECARO signo and that thing is huge but SAFE. It fits OK in the BMW (wife has to move seat a little forward) but horribly in our Jeep Commander because of the headrest doesn't move. Any ideas guys and gals???
InfernoFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
This is why I waited to get a 2+2 sports car until my kids (ages 5 & 7) were in the smaller booster style seats.

Rear facing baby seats and large forward facing toddler seats are going to have issues fitting properly in the Camaro. You've got a better chance in the 5th gen than the 4th gen of it fitting though because the rear seat cushions aren't the sunken hip hugger style of the last gen Camaro. Most people, not all, end up getting rid of 2+2 cars when their kids are little because the child seats just don't fit right (or at all).

Also, I caught this on Autoblog the other day - http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/21/r...fer-child-sea/

Seems as though NHSTA rules prevent child safety seat manufacturers from making car specific child seats in the US. That sucks because I think it would actually be safer to have a child seat designed for my specific car than one that is generic and "kind of" fits.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Sierra

Drives: 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
Simple. Dont put the kids in the car...... J/k
Old 04-27-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
Do whatever you have to do to make it work. Remember they are growing and soon they will fit nicely. Later they probably won't but that is no reason to join the minivan crowd.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
Verio
Taking it 1 day at a time

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS Auto
Send a message via MSN to Verio
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoFlame View Post
Alright so I have my deposit on my car (2SS/RS IOM w/ IOA and Black Hockey) but now I have a question most parents might be asking themselves...WHAT ABOUT MY TODDLER? I know there are tethers for the back seat and all but how about a CUSTOM kids seat to match the car? But more IMPORTANTLY one that will FIT the backseat so my wife doesnt need to put her seat all the way to the front. Just a thought and I didnt know where to post the thread...We have a RECARO signo and that thing is huge but SAFE. It fits OK in the BMW (wife has to move seat a little forward) but horribly in our Jeep Commander because of the headrest doesn't move. Any ideas guys and gals???
I would suggest looking at different options for carseats and carriers+bases. I'm not sure how old your child is and what he/she is currently sitting in now, but there are definitely options.

We have a new one on the way myself, and another who's in a booster seat, and I think we'll have plenty of room. Looking in to the keycare+keyfit system from Chicco, and it looks like enough room to me.

I just know I'll be yelling at my daughter in her Booster seat to quit kicking my new car's seats!!!
Verio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
marcgo2

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue
Trade the kids in for the Camaro. The cost of ownership is a lot lower on the Camaro.
marcgo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
mutant chicken
Mutant Member

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '10 Mini , 07 Harley
My wife and I picked up a Graco Natilus carseat for our 3 ( soon to be 4 ) year old. At this point we do not have our car yet, and do not know how well it will fit in the car, we went off the measurment we got off the internet ( this site and others ) and my memory of my '67 and looked at a lot of different carseats. This carseat has a lot of conversion options later on and doesn't look too bad, the only bad thing for us is that it is light grey, and we have black interior... the cool thing is it will eventually beak down to just a puck style booster, and for now it has it's own cupholder and is pretty comfortable and has a five point harness.

Not taking the kids is not really an option, so we make the best of it, and this carseat was the best we could find. It wasn't our first choice of color, but the features were great, and the fact that it will break down as we go is nice. We will not have to buy another car seat later. It wasn't cheap, but if you add up the price of several carseats that it would end up replacing it makes a lot of sence....

mutant chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
EarliestMemory
RED HT RS

Drives: 10 VR 2LT/RS Camaro, 06 Harley
Find a dealer who has one you can at least sit in, take the child & seat there, and try it out. My daughter was three when I bought my Firebird. I was pleased to find that her car seat fit more snugly in the Firebird's back bucket seat than it ever had in my Saturn's back bench seat. If yours doesn't fit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
I would suggest looking at different options for carseats and carriers+bases.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #9
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Ya, I had a 3rd gen and a car seat worked in it, this car has more room.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #10
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Quote:
Why on Earth would you put your kids in this car? If they are under 12 years of age, I'd never put them in. Get the car for you and your wife and not your kids my friend. You and your wife should have a car you can call yours without worrying about kids destroying it. Put them in the BMW. Not the Camaro.
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:35 PM   #11
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
Simple. Dont put the kids in the car...... J/k
Better yet.. Dont' have kids. :/
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #12
Verio
Taking it 1 day at a time

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS Auto
Send a message via MSN to Verio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DkknightX View Post
Why on Earth would you put your kids in this car? If they are under 12 years of age, I'd never put them in. Get the car for you and your wife and not your kids my friend. You and your wife should have a car you can call yours without worrying about kids destroying it. Put them in the BMW. Not the Camaro.
Sure, because you can leave "toddlers" at home by themselves. I'm not saying the Camaro is a family vehicle, all I'm saying is, be practical man. For me, the only time I'm going to get my wife in the car is

A) With the Kids
B) Rare occasion of a babysitter
C) Kids are 12+
Verio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:39 PM   #13
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
One note of caution. With leather seats put 2 or 3 old towels under and behind the carseat to protect the leather. We made that mistake in my wifes old Saturn SL2. Those lines came out of the cloth seats on my truck but never did in her car. Permanent creases. With her sky I put a single towel folded once under my youngest kids booster seat and have never had a problem. Those seats have relativly sharp edged plastic under them. Just take caution. Good luck!
Old 04-27-2009, 03:44 PM   #14
speedtrip

Drives: TriumphSpeedTriple, Ridgeline
I've got a Recaro Young Sport that my 16 month old son and I love. I posted a similar concern a few months back--I was hoping to see a picture of the rear seat with a forward facing toddler chair just to see what my son's view would be out of that small rear window. That thread died due to my lack of followup, but in the meantime, I testdrove a new BMW 335 E92 coupe. The Recaro seat fit fine and I've got to think the wider Camaro would do just as good. Only issue is that dang-o rear window.

So, any new 2010 owners with kids/grandkids care to provide a few shots?

Thanks,
speedtrip
speedtrip is offline   Reply With Quote