Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 05-31-2009, 01:13 PM   #1
Rickscamero

Drives: Infiniti G35 Coupe
V6 vs. V8

Prior to my test drive today - I was going to purchase the V6 because I presumed the it would be better with gas. I didn't want a gas guzller.

I test drove the 1ssr today at Mississauga... The car drove really well and the GM agent was explaining that it has a VVT - which switches the car to 4 Cycl. on the highway. I am not sure which one I am getting anymore.

Essentially, my question is.. what advantages to I really get to buy a 1SSR over the 2 or 1 LT?
Rickscamero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
VVT ................does not switch the 8 to a 4.

The dealer is a IDIOT!
Old 05-31-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Well I do believe VVT is necessary to enable cylinder deactivation (4 cylinder mode/"Active fuel management") but VVT doesn't mean it has cylinder deactivation. There is no such thing as a "1ssr". It's just a "1SS" and only the automatic versions sport the L99 with cylinder deactivation, the manual versions come with the LS3 which does not do cylinder deactivation.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Your dealer needs a lesson about the L99 so here it is..The Automatic V8 Camaro uses the LT-series L99 which was built from the LS3 to incorporate "Active Fuel Management" which enables the engine to run on four cylinders during highway cruising. The AFM in the L99 saves you about 1MPG over not having it activated which isn't much but enough to help it avoid the gas guzzler tax.

The V6 will get you about 10MPG more on both highway and city so you figure whats most important to you.. Most people are getting an average of 20MPG on the highway with the V8 and 30MPG with the V6 on the highway.. The V6 can use standard while the V8 even though it can probably should use mid-grade at the least.. I will be putting in high grade all the time on my V8 as it will help the engine last longer..
Old 05-31-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
And regular gas vs premium
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
Rickscamero

Drives: Infiniti G35 Coupe
Thx so much for the assistance guys. U have been helpful.

I wish I could test drive a V6 prior to purchasing, just so that I can determine the difference between the two.

I am not sure what I am going to get - but based on the last post - presumably a 15 gallon tank will give you 150 more miles per tank = 200+ km per tank. Thats alot of km. Its like night and day.

hmmm.....
Rickscamero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
First, I want you to read the Wiki very closely. I also want you to refer to the Camaro SS as the Camaro SS or SS. The SSR is a sport truck that GM stopped making a while ago.

Don't listen to your dealer too closely. Active Fuel Management (AFM) does make the Camaro more efficient at cruising speed. It is a great feature, but it still is a V8. If all you care about is the gas, then buy a V6. It is fast and fun. If you want to outperform everyone, then get the V8. If you want to outperform most cars, get the V6.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote