Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-23-2010, 02:57 AM   #1
Bogey99

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black M6
Cool K&N Typhoon intake

Purchased and installed the typhoon intake which K&N claims 18rwhp gains. Now, wether or not that is accurate, I believe that there is a hp gain, throttle response gain, and of course a nice sound. In speaking with a tuner, he states that this intake will result in a hp loss due to the induction of hot air from the engine bay. Im thinking this may not be a factor due to the cold weather at the moment, but may become one when summer comes around. My plan is to dyno the car with the stock intake and then with the K&N. Im going to keep the hood closed for multiple runs with each intake, ensuring that the airflow goes through the grill. Hood open may fudge the numbers in favor of the K&N. Couldnt find any other posts on this intake but. apology in advance if there is.
Bogey99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:11 AM   #2
FANTA-Z

Drives: 2010 SSRS
Also make sure the dyno has a fan that will help simulate air movement and not just stagnant. I just posted in another thread that I would like to see comparisons between the two cold air units, one which has the seperator box, and one that is just the open element filter. I have the open element filter as well, and to be honest I believe that your other parts such as your intake tube, tb, and intake itself will already be heat soaked so Im guessing there wont be a whole lot of difference if any.
FANTA-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
The 18hp claim is VERY debateable given the design and materials used in both of their Camaro CAI's. Neither should lose HP though. They both draw air from the factory location and are "similar" setups. Fitment issues could allow more hot engine bay air to be taken in but I don't have the K&N so I can't comment on their fitment. A metal intake, like the Typhoon, isn't desireable since the metal will heat soak badly and cause your IAT's to increase at idle. Don't know how much affect this has a cruise though.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:48 AM   #4
Bogey99

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black M6
Yea, I suppose if I were to do it again I would get plastic but that metal looks beautiful, not worth a power sacrifice though.
Bogey99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
Monaco

Drives: 2012 SS Camaro LS3
I bought the aircharger and had it installed by the dealer. It fits great in the engine bay and I also feel a horsepower increase and it's more responsive. I really don't think you'll find a horsepower decrease, but that'll be interesting to view your test results with the typhoon
Monaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
Liam
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Hyper Blue
Yes there are intakes that are designed/look better. But in the big picture, ALL of them including K&N give gains within 2 HP of each other. So fro example to argue one gives 18 and one gives 20 is just petty. Its just not enough of a difference to matter. They all give gains and better throttle response, some just vary by a slight bit.
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Drives: stockish 2012 camaro ss
I have the k&n and it does it job but if looking to further upgrade get something more breather friendly. I am going to upgrade to vararam as soon as i can.
Nightmare2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
It's not the best performing intake out there and in theory it could suffer from some heat soak but it will still perform better than the stock one and give you an increase.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare2012 View Post
I have the k&n and it does it job but if looking to further upgrade get something more breather friendly. I am going to upgrade to vararam as soon as i can.
your going to have to look into a Rotofab bud, vararam wont fit your 12
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:44 AM   #10
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
Yes there are intakes that are designed/look better. But in the big picture, ALL of them including K&N give gains within 2 HP of each other. So fro example to argue one gives 18 and one gives 20 is just petty. Its just not enough of a difference to matter. They all give gains and better throttle response, some just vary by a slight bit.
So you necro'd a 3+yo thread to give your thoughts on the subject and happen to be DEAD WRONG in the process.

You might want to do a little research before you resurrect another dead thread to give your opinion.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 03-17-2013, 01:57 AM   #11
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Damn it I missed that!!! I should of been paying attention !

Fail. Sorry sensai
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:00 AM   #12
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Damn it I missed that!!! I should of been paying attention !

Fail. Sorry sensai
HAHAHA, it's cool. Sit back and enjoy another beer or three.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 03-17-2013, 02:09 AM   #13
Liam
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
So you necro'd a 3+yo thread to give your thoughts on the subject and happen to be DEAD WRONG in the process.

You might want to do a little research before you resurrect another dead thread to give your opinion.
LOL yeah my fault, must have pulled up in a search or something, missed how old the thread was somehow. As far as dead wrong...um no. Negligible difference in performance between most of them. Proven through RESEARCH. Either way, dead subject not gonna argue about it. (Or did I just argue anyway? Late..tired, forgive me.)
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:18 AM   #14
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
LOL yeah my fault, must have pulled up in a search or something, missed how old the thread was somehow. As far as dead wrong...um no. Negligible difference in performance between most of them. Proven through RESEARCH. Either way, dead subject not gonna argue about it. (Or did I just argue anyway? Late..tired, forgive me.)
Without starting a argument, the popular CAI offerings for the Camaro have been shown to vary from around 2whp to 14whp. That's a HUGE difference between some of them. This was independently done and not from a article in a magazine but by one of our more trusted vendors here.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)