Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #29
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
No baseline =

I'm still waiting to see a bone stock car dynoed before and after a Vararam intake install. Is that too much too ask?
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #30
towmoe

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
No baseline =

I'm still waiting to see a bone stock car dynoed before and after a Vararam intake install. Is that too much too ask?
+1
Old 04-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #31
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Kirk was this with the bottom/sides of the wicker bill removed?

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6

Last edited by Jeanius; 04-11-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #32
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Thanks for posting. Still looking like the Vararam is no better than the other good CAI's on the market for gains.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #33
Icntdrv55
CCOTR Member

Drives: Victory Red 2010 2SS/RS A6
Kirk

By now you have tested MANY CAI's with your tune. Do you believe any one CAI works any better WITH YOUR TUNE that any other??
I just bought your tune for my L99 and am getting ready to get a Vararam but would like to know if you think there is a better CAI that works with your tune!
2010 Camaro SS/RS Victory Red A6- Vararam Intake, Doug Thorley Tri Y LTs, Magnaflow X-pipe, Flowmaster Super 40's, VMS Tune, Razzi Ground Effects, Herritage Grill, RED headlight and fog light Halos, LED DRLs, Dash and extended Door ABL, engine, grill and rear defusser LED lighting ........ 12.59@112.21 (DA Corrected)

Last edited by Icntdrv55; 04-03-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Icntdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #34
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icntdrv55 View Post
Kirk

By now you have tested MANY CAI's with your tune. Do you believe any one CAI works any better WITH YOUR TUNE that any other??
I just bought your tune for my L(( and am getting ready to get a Vararam but would like to know if you think there is a better CAI that works with your tune!
Old 04-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #35
Johnwayne
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
ONLY 380ish

they wont do a base line because they guarantee 30+ RWHP which is total BS! I think vararam is taking advantage of people everyday with just piss poor service for a even worse product that was thrown together and changed on the fly. there are a bunch of happy customers but there are way too many horror stories and unhappy customers. they are no different than K&N and if you put that on your car it wont buck at all OR throw a code.
Johnwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #36
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnwayne View Post
ONLY 380ish

they wont do a base line because they guarantee 30+ RWHP which is total BS! I think vararam is taking advantage of people everyday with just piss poor service for a even worse product that was thrown together and changed on the fly. there are a bunch of happy customers but there are way too many horror stories and unhappy customers. they are no different than K&N and if you put that on your car it wont buck at all OR throw a code.

with a 355 baseline... on a mustang dyno....
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:51 PM   #37
wbt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post

with a 355 baseline... on a mustang dyno....
They did not get a baseline. The statement was since no baseline run was conducted, taking the low end of the LS3 dyno numbers and comparing that to the Vararam AND a tune they came up with 384. It is just speculation as to the baseline. It could have been 370 or it could have been 340. Who knows.

Take the results provided and compare intake to intake testing WITHOUT a tune and again the Vararam is no better than any of the other top CAI's on the market such as:

CAI
Roto-Fab
ADM
Halltech

This is the point everyone should be considering. Everyone has a choice and it really boils down to what you are comfortable with. An intake that requires no tune to correct LTFT or an intake that requires a tune to get dialed in.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:07 PM   #38
SwiftCat
Get me my meds!

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 & solid black, baby!
I hate to say it, but I sure am glad I sold my unit and went instead with an ADM race. The Vararam definitely gives awesome gains, but it just feels so pieced together. It's pretty sad when a guy has to come on the forum just to figure out what bolt goes where. Hopefully things will get smoothed out in the future, but until then I'll stick with more "application" engineering and less "theoretical." On a lighter note, I'm sure that Kirk will find every ounce of HP/TQ that can be sucked (pun intended ) out of the Vararam units.
Good luck fellas.
Swifty

The legend continues...
SwiftCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:22 PM   #39
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
1) What CAI did you have on it when it came in, did you dyno it with that CAI?

2) Were the Bottom/Sides of the wicker-bill removed for the tune?

3) When are you putting the stock box back on and getting the baseline dyno?

4) What are your impressions of this set up VS the other CAI you had on before?

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:15 AM   #40
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
They did not get a baseline. The statement was since no baseline run was conducted, taking the low end of the LS3 dyno numbers and comparing that to the Vararam AND a tune they came up with 384. It is just speculation as to the baseline. It could have been 370 or it could have been 340. Who knows.

I have to think Kirk knows the average stock LS3 to better than +/-15HP on his dyno. After all, he does do this for a living.

Thanks Kirk!!
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:33 AM   #41
wbt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post
I have to think Kirk knows the average stock LS3 to better than +/-15HP on his dyno. After all, he does do this for a living.

Thanks Kirk!!
Keep drinking the cool-aid.

This has nothing to do with Kirk or Vector Motorsports. I personally think they do good work and have a nice cam I am looking at.

Re-read my post. It is logical and makes perfect sense.

Last edited by wbt; 04-04-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:47 AM   #42
kelley@vectormotorsports

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
No baseline =

No it is not. We have very little extra dyno time this time of year. We all overlooked that the car had a CAI on it already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius View Post
Kirk was this with the bottom/sides of the wicker bill removed?

Also, is the tune ready for sale? I have Dynatech LT's, Magnaflow CB and the VR.
No wicker bill in any of our intakes from Vararam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icntdrv55 View Post
Kirk

I just bought your tune for my L99 and am getting ready to get a Vararam but would like to know if you think there is a better CAI that works with your tune!
Some intakes work a lot better with our tune. That is not to say they make more power than any other. When it comes to intakes I always say to go with the one that looks the best to you. All CAI's work better with a tune, including the stock one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnwayne View Post
ONLY 380ish

"they" meaning us, Vector? We do not guarantee any HP number. We just test and tune. The numbers are what they are. Vararam does not pay us to do this or give us a special deal on their intakes. We have nothing to gain but make our customers with Vararams have better running cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius View Post
1) What CAI did you have on it when it came in, did you dyno it with that CAI?

2) Were the Bottom/Sides of the wicker-bill removed for the tune?

3) When are you putting the stock box back on and getting the baseline dyno?

4) What are your impressions of this set up VS the other CAI you had on before?
1. Roto-Fab
2. No wicker-bill
3. The customer has this next Saturday off we will do it then.
4. In my opinion I like the Roto-Fab better, this is only based on looks. I like a stock looking intake and the Vararam is a bit "high performance" looking for me.
kelley@vectormotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote