Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
thejag

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS 6M Orange
Intense underside scratching noise

Has anyone encountered a scratching noise from underneath the car when driving slowly (~1 mph) up a short, moderately steep incline at an angle? Unfortunately this is my driveway. The sound inside the car is very intense and sounds and feels like the chassis is dragging on the ground for about 12-18 inches. With the aid of a second person, determined there is plenty of clearance and nothing other than the tires are touching the ground. We also noticed one of the rear tires (inside the turn) spins slightly due to the majority of the weight being on the opposite wheel and the Camaro's tight suspension. You can barely hear noise when standing outside the car (as the tire loses traction) and is nothing like the intense noise you hear inside the car. The traction control light flashes briefly. Engaging traction control doesn’t appear to make any difference. I’m concerned tire single tire slippage and the scratching noise are having an adverse affect on the drive train. Instead of driving up the driveway at the natural angle from the street, if I swing wide and take the driveway straight on the slippage and noise does not occur. Any thoughts?
thejag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
Clutch, or subframe binding, or sway bar torque. No big deal either way unless it happens during normal operation.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
I would advise you to swing wide and take the driveway straight.

Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
Check for wheel rubbing.

2.9 Polished Whipple, Kooks LT 1 7/8 headers, HiFlow Cats, Kooks Sleeper catback, Cooling Mist Methanol Injection, PFADT Sport Sways, PFADT Springs, PFADT rear trailing arms, ADM intake, JDP stainless brake lines, Jegs Catch can, Stock SS wheels widened to 10 3/4, Hawks HPS Pads, Pedders Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts, BMR Center Brace, MSD BAP, AAC side markers, Emblem Pro's Custom Lighted Door Sills, Dash-Floor-Cupholder ABL lighting and other stuff....
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grinding noise, loss of traction, scratching noise