Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
SFcamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 6M
What is your longest burnout?

Ok. I've got burnouts on my mind.

So what's the longest burnout you've done in feet or yards.
SFcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
SFcamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 6M
Attached Images

SFcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
2SS 2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Black
I would like to keep my car past 30K miles (when it gets to that point) I never understood the point of burnouts.. Ruins your tires and puts enormous stress on driveline components. I do love watching them! I just won't do it with my car
2SS 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
about 50yards in the camaro...cold weather+pirelli+vortech=John Force
Old 07-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Disclaimer: I was a horrible awful teenager, and am now filled with regret and remorse for the awful, reckless, selfish things I used to do... so very long ago.

My buddy was driving his mom's Totota Celica around, and he complained that it would not burn out. I bet him that I could do it. He gave me the wheel, let me try.

I powerbraked it (depressing the brake pedal just hard enough to prevent the car from accelerating (front brakes are more powerful than rear brakes, and in those days, Celicas were RWD), kept it floored. One tire spun and smoked and burned out for a good 30 secionds, with about 25 of those seconds of my buddy conceding me and asking me to stop. I feigned not being able to hear him, of course.

Now, this long burnout started on asphalt, crossed a 50 foot wooden bridge, then finished on the asphalt on the other side.

Later in the day (a few hours) I took another friend over to the bridge to show him the awesome black streak I'd created using Rod's mom's car. Got to the bridge, and saw smoke rising from the black streak. Got out, and learned that the entire length of the streak on the bridge was crackling, popping, and smoldering... looked like "Back to the Future" tracks...

I used water to extinguish things. No structural damage to the bridge, just a permanent, charcoaled reminder of how I defiled Rod's mom's car...
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
z28racer

Drives: 12 SIM 2SS/ RS Sinergy M6,GMC2500HD
I have not done one yet.
z28racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I need to take a picture next time
Old 07-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
In my old 71 Chevelle, I'd say it was appx 40-50 yards long.

In the Camaro? Mabe 5 feet, at the drag strip.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
Chiefish

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Only time I burnout with this car is at the strip to clean off the tires and get a little heat in em.
Now with a couple older cars I had I wasted alot of tires and money doing burnouts, cant say I ever measured them tho. But I remember doing one with a buick riviera my friend had that had a big motor in it for a couple of blocks, it wasnt a posi rear so only one stripe up the street.
Chiefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
Disclaimer: I was a horrible awful teenager, and am now filled with regret and remorse for the awful, reckless, selfish things I used to do... so very long ago.

My buddy was driving his mom's Totota Celica around, and he complained that it would not burn out. I bet him that I could do it. He gave me the wheel, let me try.

I powerbraked it (depressing the brake pedal just hard enough to prevent the car from accelerating (front brakes are more powerful than rear brakes, and in those days, Celicas were RWD), kept it floored. One tire spun and smoked and burned out for a good 30 secionds, with about 25 of those seconds of my buddy conceding me and asking me to stop. I feigned not being able to hear him, of course.

Now, this long burnout started on asphalt, crossed a 50 foot wooden bridge, then finished on the asphalt on the other side.

Later in the day (a few hours) I took another friend over to the bridge to show him the awesome black streak I'd created using Rod's mom's car. Got to the bridge, and saw smoke rising from the black streak. Got out, and learned that the entire length of the streak on the bridge was crackling, popping, and smoldering... looked like "Back to the Future" tracks...

I used water to extinguish things. No structural damage to the bridge, just a permanent, charcoaled reminder of how I defiled Rod's mom's car...
Minus the car and the apostrophe s...

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFcamaro View Post
Ok. I've got burnouts on my mind.

So what's the longest burnout you've done in feet or yards.

? Don't you mean time?

The longest rubber I laid down was about 50 yards, in my '70 Buick, after I broke in the rebuilt posi

The longest time I did a burnout? Dunno. Didn't time it. How long does it take to start throwing sparks from the steel belts on a pair of year-old radial T/As?
Old 07-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #12
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Burnouts are stupid unless you're at the drag strip. All they are good for is looking like a tool and wasting $250 per tire.

In high school, I used to roast a nice one-tire-fire in my Blazer cuz that thing was a turd just to get me through the winter months. It cracked my friends up, but I would never do it in the cars I actually cared about.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #13
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Burnouts are stupid unless you're at the drag strip. All they are good for is looking like a tool and wasting $250 per tire.

In high school, I used to roast a nice one-tire-fire in my Blazer cuz that thing was a turd just to get me through the winter months. It cracked my friends up, but I would never do it in the cars I actually cared about.
But you'll never have a story like "The cop that pulled me over had little smoky bits of my tires all over the front end of his cruiser", like I do.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #14
Neumatic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
My longest in distance and time was with my '91 S-10 2.8L 5speed. Distance was about 30 feet, Time is unknown but I was power breaking it in 2nd gear for a while and then the truck just died. She fired right back up like normal though so idk what went wrong with it. The clutch hated me though thats for sure
Neumatic is offline   Reply With Quote