Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 10-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
To Rust Proof or not to? That is the question....

Alright folks, my baby doesnt drive in the winter, she becomes a garage queen every November. However, I end up driving her on salt sprayed roads and I have never done rust protection on her because I was told not to.
My question is, considering she sits in the winter (and shes not bagged so she does see moisture) and she drives on salt sprayed (de-icer) roads, would you guys recommending Rust proofing the car? I work on my car, so not looking forward to working with all the stuff but would much rather have a rust free car.

What would you guys do? Who do you recommend if you guys would rust proof or have

Thanks alot guys
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Your owners manual says NO.

Doing it now would trap it under the coating....not good.

Just spray it off.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
gml1998

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
Absolutely no
gml1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:01 AM   #4
mjrracing97
Bumblebee1961

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformers Edition
Send a message via Skype™ to mjrracing97
No just keep it sprayed off underneath.
mjrracing97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
On the other hand...my trade-in was a 1996 Sebring LXI that I had Krown treated each year, when sold not a spot of rust. Same for my current 1998 Riviera, never driven during winters but experiences dampness, Krown treated each year, not a spot of Rust. Since my 2011 Camaro was new it has also been Krown treated yearly and driven in snow. Still clean on the underside.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
TJ91

Ok thanks alot guys!
I wish I had a lift and a pressure washer :(
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
Old 10-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
TJ91

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaucom21 View Post
On the other hand...my trade-in was a 1996 Sebring LXI that I had Krown treated each year, when sold not a spot of rust. Same for my current 1998 Riviera, never driven during winters but experiences dampness, Krown treated each year, not a spot of Rust. Since my 2011 Camaro was new it has also been Krown treated yearly and driven in snow. Still clean on the underside.
Yeah, every car weve undercoated has never had rust other then on the body (2001 chevy venture)

Hmm I guess for me its a HELL No now that I didnt do it from day one.

Time to go wash her off
Old 10-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Yeah, every car weve undercoated has never had rust other then on the body (2001 chevy venture)

Hmm I guess for me its a HELL No now that I didnt do it from day one.

Time to go wash her off
I bought my '98 SS new and did not drive it in the winter - except on dry days when the roads were "clean" (albeit with dry salt dust). Never rustproofed or sprayed it and whenever the car was put on a hoist and someone who didn't know the car looked at the underside, they couldn't believe how clean it was. No rust anywhere on the underside when I sold it and of course, no rust on any of the body panels which were mostly composite anyway...
When I got my V, the idea was that it would be my DD, all year round so it gets the Crown rustproofing treatment every year. (without holes being drilled anywhere)
There's no question that it makes detailing the engine bay almost impossible because of the gunk on it. I also have to be careful when opening the hood as the oil spray is on the underside of the hood and I usually have to wash my hands afterwards.
If the oil spray adds to the life of the car (or resale value), then I'm happy. If I was thinking about the car as a "show" car, I would not rustproof it and be secure that it would be fine - if it was not being winter driven.

Best regards,

Elie
Old 10-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #9
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
I just had mine Krown rust proofed last week. If you have it rust proofed every year from new they guarantee the body for life. Seems worth it to me ... especially since I'm driving my Camaro in the winter
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #10
Pappa Joe

Drives: Charger/TL1000R/Cobalt/ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by detamble13 View Post
I just had mine Krown rust proofed last week. If you have it rust proofed every year from new they guarantee the body for life. Seems worth it to me ... especially since I'm driving my Camaro in the winter

Being Italian, I coated my car with olive oil, it works on Pizza Joke
Pappa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
TJ91

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
I bought my '98 SS new and did not drive it in the winter - except on dry days when the roads were "clean" (albeit with dry salt dust). Never rustproofed or sprayed it and whenever the car was put on a hoist and someone who didn't know the car looked at the underside, they couldn't believe how clean it was. No rust anywhere on the underside when I sold it and of course, no rust on any of the body panels which were mostly composite anyway...
When I got my V, the idea was that it would be my DD, all year round so it gets the Crown rustproofing treatment every year. (without holes being drilled anywhere)
There's no question that it makes detailing the engine bay almost impossible because of the gunk on it. I also have to be careful when opening the hood as the oil spray is on the underside of the hood and I usually have to wash my hands afterwards.
If the oil spray adds to the life of the car (or resale value), then I'm happy. If I was thinking about the car as a "show" car, I would not rustproof it and be secure that it would be fine - if it was not being winter driven.

Best regards,

Elie
Elie, thanks alot for your post. It makes me feel alot more secure about not having it undercoated. Honestly the reason I never wanted to undercoat it is because of the gunk thats all over the place. If it was winter driven, I would undercoat it no questions asked. But seeing as how you did the same as I am doing with my Camaro and never had issues, is truly great news to me. Thanks again man, really appreicate it