Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 06-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
BenzinaBrera

Drives: Alfa Romeo Brera V6
Some 3.6 tuning questions

Hi guys, i have some questions to ask from all guys on the tuning scene over here, but first some background.

I actually have a Alfa Romeo Brera, but the Engine is the alloytec in 3.2 guise and the heads are the direct injection heads that the LLT camaro uses that GM and Fiat co-developed, in any case i converted my Brera to 3.6 thanks to importing the needed parts from newgmparts.com (highly reccomended btw) so in essence i have a 3.6 LLT now.

I checked a lot of youtube vids and noticed the camaro gets whooped by quite a few similarly powered cars. this caused me great concern as i love the alloytec engine and want to wave the flag high, even if it is the american flag with an italian flag background haha.

Now to help the situation along i have prepared some mods, i would just like to hear how much power you guys think my car might push since you have a lot more experience in these engines than people here in South Africa

Along with the 3.6 conversion im running:

-K&N Filter
-Fully port & polished Heads
-Complete removal of catalytic converters
-Complete remap tuned to use with 95 octane fuel
-Extrude Honed Intake manifold

Also the Alfa uses the GM F40 Gearbox and Torsen 4 wheel drive system. Do you guys think the F40 Box will help with acceleration assuming it has shorter ratios maybe than the Camaro?

Also something i dont understand is both the camaro and cadillac ATS are LFX models but the Caddy runs away from a 335 and the camaro loses out completely?? these should essentially be the same cars more or less?

Sorry about all my rambling but ey camaro land is my home now that i have a LLT hehe.

Thanks Guys!

Last edited by BenzinaBrera; 06-03-2013 at 05:07 PM.
BenzinaBrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
BenzinaBrera

Sorry moderators! i just noticed theres a LLT modification lounge! could you please move my post if possible? sorry again!
Old 06-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Street Racing isn't allowed. I would take those vids down ASAP.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
BenzinaBrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
Street Racing isn't allowed. I would take those vids down ASAP.
Sorted. My apologies.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Benzina,

I don't quite understand what your asking. Your topic is about 3.6 tuning, but sounds like you have the tuning all sorted out already. Sounds like your car is probably pretty quick, but I don't know for sure.

The Cadillac ATS does use the same engine as the Camaro, but the Cadillac is also built on a completely different, lighter chassis, and because of the lighter weight it is a bit quicker than the Camaro. Camaro V6 has been tested between 5.6 - 6.1 seconds 0 - 60 MPH depending on the type of transmission, while the ATS has been tested at 5.4 seconds to 60 MPH.

Just curious, but what company did you use to tune your car? Is your car using a Bosch ECM or a different one?
Old 06-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
BenzinaBrera

Hi, unfortunately im not done with my mods yet, thats why im wondering so long what the gains would be for guys with the same mods on the camaros and.also how they think it would turn out paired with a manual gearbox, 4wd and the F40 gear ratios.

I have the manifold extrude hone left, mount the engine and remap the car.

So far i have two options, here in south africa most tuners use a piggyback system called unichip but i dont know if this is what i want as i trust a remap more than.just some box altering sensor signals so get different results so im considering using trifecta tune if they are willing to help me that is.

And yes i have the bosch ecu, which i believe is also the same as the llt camaros

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
gutterball

Drives: 2014 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
Most of the Guys have had Great success with the IPF tune and also the Triffecta tune, I had the Triffecta tune and Gained 20 HP
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #8
BenzinaBrera

I see.what you said about the weight geez i cant believe the weight makes that big of a difference

Camaro: 1750KG
Brera: 1650KG
ATS: 1550KG

So the brera hit it bang in the middle with weight, maybe with the tuning it will be on the ATS level, if it could be on the same level as the ATS then i would be very pleased. An ATS can actually run away from a 335 BMW and ive been in a 335 before and thought thats was damn fast! So anything as fast or faster would be awesome.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
BenzinaBrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutterball View Post
Most of the Guys have had Great success with the IPF tune and also the Triffecta tune, I had the Triffecta tune and Gained 20 HP
Nice! So you already just thanks to a remap make more horses on the crank than a LFX? I can only imagine coupled with some mode you can look at 340hp on the crank or so?

Old 06-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzinaBrera View Post
Nice! So you already just thanks to a remap make more horses on the crank than a LFX? I can only imagine coupled with some mode you can look at 340hp on the crank or so?

The LFX has seen better tuning results than the LFX, but yes both can gain power with a tune.

An LLT or LFX with full bolt ons (intake, exhaust, headers, ported manifold and throttle body) and an effective tune should see 350+ HP at the crank if not more.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:32 AM   #11
BenzinaBrera

350+ sounds good, did anyone on the forum actually achieve these figures? Also the torque must be well into the 400nm mark then.

Hopefully with my combo i would see 350hp, if i got that i would be really really happy. Especially where i live. The elevation in my town always give n/a cars a big disadvantage vs the turbo ones.

Like i said before if its fast as a 335 im happy, i dont think that is a too unrealistic wish?

Old 06-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
Biscuitpie

Drives: '11 Cammed LS3, '14 Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzinaBrera View Post
350+ sounds good, did anyone on the forum actually achieve these figures? Also the torque must be well into the 400nm mark then.

Hopefully with my combo i would see 350hp, if i got that i would be really really happy. Especially where i live. The elevation in my town always give n/a cars a big disadvantage vs the turbo ones.

Like i said before if its fast as a 335 im happy, i dont think that is a too unrealistic wish?

There's a list somewhere on this forum of people's horsepower numbers. I think I saw 290 wheel awhile back which is 340 crank (just divide by .85). I doubt you'll be able to beat a 335 honestly, they are twin turbo straight sixes and do 0-60 in like 4.8. Boltons add a ridiculous amount of horsepower to them... like over 100 wheel.

SOLD with a Z06 in the not too distant future: Cammed, boltons, axles, lowered, and more. | 476 WHP
Biscuitpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
BenzinaBrera

Yes the 335 is quite fast but the ATS can walk over it, theres a vid of a ats eating a 335. But the ats weighs less, but maybe the brera will be different since its lighter than the camaro and has 17 inch wheels on combined with 4wd

Old 06-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #14
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote