Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-19-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
jewel25
Mother of PWA Babies

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS
C5 Runners

I did a search and didn’t see any threads on this topic, so sorry if there is one already. There are threads on weight lost and body building, but no thread (to my knowledge) for runners. I am currently training for a ½ Marathon in November and I don’t have the support with living cross country from my friends and family who are runners. I thought it would be fun for us C5 runners to post our times and achievements for bragging rights and a little bit of competition. Maybe even create a “fast list”

Post up your medals, times, training plans, or just daily achievements. Keep in mind I am not a professional runner, just doing it because my mom asked me to complete the race with her.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:51 PM   #2
jewel25
Mother of PWA Babies

Reserved
Old 05-19-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Screw running.

I lift things up and put them down... Lol
Old 05-29-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
atma
disco kryptonite

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
i don't run for competition, just fitness. usually 2 miles at a time a few days a week. i ran track in high school and ran 4x8, 1600m and 3200m so i'm more comfortable seeing how fast i can run 2 mi than trying to run very long distances. when i was in high school i ran a 5 min mile and 11 min 2 mile. i've gotten a bit more frequent lately and i'm back down below 16 minutes for 2 miles. soon i'll start bumping up to 5k but doubt i'd ever go longer then that. my goal would be to at least be able to get below a 6 minute mile at some point, but that seems pretty tough at this point. anyways, surprised this thread didn't get more responses. hopefully now that it's bumped it will.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lstuner View Post
Screw running.

I lift things up and put them down... Lol
OOGA BOOGA!

I used to run a little, but my knees are terrible so I had to stop. I never really enjoyed it, I just did it out of necessity so that I didn't become the overweight person in the buggy at Wal Mart. When I was last running though, I was using some of the toed shoes... it was the best I ever felt (after the first couple of weeks of my calves hurting like hell).

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I do PT for the Air Force.

Nicole, are there any tips for keeping mind over matter when running?
Old 05-29-2014, 12:19 PM   #7
atma
disco kryptonite

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
When I was last running though, I was using some of the toed shoes... it was the best I ever felt (after the first couple of weeks of my calves hurting like hell).

my ankles and knees really feel it when i use a shoe with too much padding in the sole. switched to these Nike "barefoot" style shoes almost two years ago and I love them!!

Old 05-29-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
my ankles and knees really feel it when i use a shoe with too much padding in the sole. switched to these Nike "barefoot" style shoes almost two years ago and I love them!!

My knees have something to do with my LCL. When I run (even bike) it feels like that portion of my knee inflames and aches. I don't know what caused it, but even low impact cardio will aggitate it :(

I might try those shoes out for my new gym shoes though.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:02 PM   #9
jewel25
Mother of PWA Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
I do PT for the Air Force.

Nicole, are there any tips for keeping mind over matter when running?
For me it is setting a goal and lots and lots of pump up music. The first 2-3 weeks I started running it was hard. My family keeps me focus on the goal, we have an app which posts your times and distance.

Now after over a month of training, it doesn't feel right skipping a workout in my daily routine. I keep on pushing myself to go further and faster each day.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #10
ArkySS
Camaroless for now...

Drives: 2014 Blue Topaz Silverado
Thumbs up

I'm not a pro but do ok for an old guy.

PR's
5K - 22:30
10K - 49:18 (hilly course still need to work on this time)
Half Marathon 1:42
Marathon - 4:28

I have run 4 marathons and about 5 half marathons. You didn't say if this was your first half or you had run others. If it is your first your goal should be to finish upright and alive with all of your limbs still attached! If you don't have a training plan Hal Higdon's have worked very well for me in the past.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51...aining-Program
Old 05-29-2014, 03:15 PM   #11
jewel25
Mother of PWA Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkySS View Post
I'm not a pro but do ok for an old guy.

PR's
5K - 22:30
10K - 49:18 (hilly course still need to work on this time)
Half Marathon 1:42
Marathon - 4:28

I have run 4 marathons and about 5 half marathons. You didn't say if this was your first half or you had run others. If it is your first your goal should be to finish upright and alive with all of your limbs still attached! If you don't have a training plan Hal Higdon's have worked very well for me in the past.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51...aining-Program

This will be my first and my only goal is to finish. I know people training for 1:30 finish for the 1/2. I am like gezzz I don't want to kill myself. I plan on doing other in December and that one I will be more focus on a better time. I never was a fast runner, but I can't run long distances.

Thanks for the tip of the training plan. I downloaded one a few weeks ago but it told me not to start until July. It said to have at least 3 months of running under your belt until you start the program. My mom and I are also training so we are running the same pace. We don't care about our times we just want finish as a team. It means more to me to come across the finish line with my mom than running it under 2 hours.

It is also hard to train this time of year. It is 100 degrees when the sun is set.

Congrats on those times. They impress me.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #12
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS, 2009 GTR
I'm not the best runner but I do it for the Army and to stay lean. I ran track way back in high school but that was mainly sprints 100, 200, and then all the relays up to 400m. Though then I joined the Army and swapped to running distance. I started at 16 minutes for a 2 mile time and now if I don't hit 12:30 I'm having an off day. My fastest 2 mile time has been an 11:45.

I tend to run at least 25-30 miles a week. Though when I run by myself I do not run for time, I just go for distance or a set length of time. That's my best piece of advise. People get caught up in how fast they are going, or how fast they want to be going. I say stick with hitting how far you want to go or how long you want to run for if you don't have a good route. Once you can get the distance then you can work on speed. That will come once the body realizes that you can run farther than you think you can.

I've done two competitions (Army 10 Miler) and both completed in under 60 minutes but only just. So an average of right near 6 minutes per mile.

As for shoes, I suggest going to a local running shop and the good ones have a treadmill that you can hop on and run a little and they record your foot strikes and then can recommend shoes based on how your ankles roll and how your feet hit the ground.

Last part of my recommendation is that you try out compression socks, I use them all the time when I run even if it's just a foot compression sock. I wear my full compression sock that goes to my knee when I go past 5 miles.

Other than that have fun!
Old 05-29-2014, 05:45 PM   #13
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
I run every other day. I do 3 types of runs. I do a speed day, a pace day and a long distance day. I run each workout once, then re start. It keeps me from getting bored. I'll increase each workout by a minute or distance..i record each day time to push myself go to a running shoe store let them assess your type of running style and match shoe type. I always warm up n cool down, too old or I'll blow out a hip or lung.. GOOD LUCK
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:17 PM   #14
jspeter51

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I run and bicycle as much as I can. Now that triple digits are here, I have set up a bicycle trainer in the house to get my exercise in a climate controlled environment and watch netflix at the same time. But when I run/cycle outside, I use Strava, an app designed for running/cycling. It's nice because there are different segments that you can compare yourself to, and others if I ever want to know how slow I really am. But it is a good thing to help challenge yourself to keep getting better.

Having run long distance in high school, one thing to really concentrate on is breathing. I try to breathe in for 2 steps and out for 2 steps.

Good luck!!!!
jspeter51 is offline   Reply With Quote