Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-12-2009, 04:59 AM   #1
bfarnin

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss/rs
Mass Production

So I pick up my baby this afternoon, 2ss/rss rjt. the concern i have that this car is so special to me, and i'm sure to all of you, but the point being, is it horrifies me that GM is just going to mass produce these things in the upcoming couple years, and your going to see evrybody and their grandmother driving one. Now I know that everybody can't afford the 2ss, but i just don't want to see the market oversaturated with the v-6's, which start in the low 20k range, which is afffordable to all the little girlies out there, who just want "the look" of the car. I don't want to sound stereotypical, but most of the men want the ss or nothing i would guess. this would limit the car out there because of affordability. it won't feel special to me anymore seeing the car in large numbers out on the road, like the old days. remember that?......camaros, firebirds galore evrywhere in the 80's n 90's. i hope GM recognizes they have something special here, and does not jeapordize the integrity of this special aura that is surrounding this car, just for the sake of $ signs. anybody with any insight on this thought?
bfarnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:07 AM   #2
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
As it stands right now the SS is by far the most popular and there are more of them on the street than any other model. It will be years before the Camaro will be seen on the street in droves like the Mustang. They've had all of these years of sales while the Camaro has been gone. If you really want the car then don't worry about it. Just treat her right, keep her clean and drive her like you stole her!! BTW nice color choice. Check out the link below for stats on the models that has been delivered to date as of 11/17.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52242
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:08 AM   #3
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfarnin View Post
So I pick up my baby this afternoon, 2ss/rss rjt. the concern i have that this car is so special to me, and i'm sure to all of you, but the point being, is it horrifies me that GM is just going to mass produce these things in the upcoming couple years, and your going to see evrybody and their grandmother driving one. Now I know that everybody can't afford the 2ss, but i just don't want to see the market oversaturated with the v-6's, which start in the low 20k range, which is afffordable to all the little girlies out there, who just want "the look" of the car. I don't want to sound stereotypical, but most of the men want the ss or nothing i would guess. this would limit the car out there because of affordability. it won't feel special to me anymore seeing the car in large numbers out on the road, like the old days. remember that?......camaros, firebirds galore evrywhere in the 80's n 90's. i hope GM recognizes they have something special here, and does not jeapordize the integrity of this special aura that is surrounding this car, just for the sake of $ signs. anybody with any insight on this thought?
Unfortunately the Camaro was designed and marketed for mass production because GM is banking on this car to bring in major revenue so GM can buy itself back from the government. It sucks it will be mass produced to ad nauseum, but I really think that was the whole point from the get-go on the Gen 5.
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:05 AM   #4
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
I think you'll get more of the female gender purchasing the car when the convertible hits. Around here "College Town" if you see a v6 mustang convertible with automatic, then it is typically a girls car.

Something else you have to consider is that your color choice is one of the rare ones.

To me I didn't get the SS, as it was going to be my daily driver. It isn't that just yet, but once we get rid of the wifes Malibu, (only 1 more year left on the lease) I'll be driving the camaro most of the time. The gas mileage, horsepower are still very impressive and this car is fun to drive. I also got stick shift.

By the way, the combinations that I picked for my RJT, make my car currently one of 8 built. It was unique for the longest time, and actually if you want to go into technicality, it is 1 of 2 built. The reason for the 1 of 2, is that mine was built during the last week before backup sensors were added, and i have the GM chicklets.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:38 AM   #5
Dboy23
2G1FB1EV7A9100028

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Hemi
Most people up here (in Michigan) probably won't buy it unless they have a good paying job because it would have to be a summer/weekend only car since you can't drive it in the winter (most likely) so it would have to be a secondary car. I'll probably see less next year since I live close to the GM Tech Center and most of the ones I see are test vehicles and by next year there should be a lot less of those.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:44 AM   #6
Tal

Drives: Old
Quote:
i hope GM recognizes they have something special here, and does not jeapordize the integrity of this special aura that is surrounding this car, just for the sake of $ signs. anybody with any insight on this thought?
Not gonna happen, GM would've added at least $5k to the MSRP for the low volume Challenger approach if that was what their goal. Either approach is nothing but an attempt to make money, it's simply choosing to sell value for a lower markup and higher volume or snob appeal for a higher markup and lower volume.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:01 AM   #7
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
GM has to sell a lot of 5th gens now to recoup all the money they have in the program. If they sell a lot of 5th gens, that means a 6th gen, etc etc.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:05 AM   #8
R6P

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
GM is just going to mass produce these things in the upcoming couple years, and your going to see evrybody and their grandmother driving one.
Yesssssssssss
R6P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:25 AM   #9
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
I disagree with the o/p. Cover the roads with the new Camaro! You can't go wrong with a beautiful car, especially if it's GM, and FAAAAST!
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:27 AM   #10
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
Around here "College Town" if you see a v6 mustang convertible with automatic, then it is typically a girls car.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:44 AM   #11
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
I really wouldn't worry about it. I don't think sales will continue like they have been. It will spike again with the convertible and or Z28, then calm down. Look at the colour and popularity charts that get posted here. Just don't by a black 2SS LS3, they are the most popular!
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:01 AM   #12
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
I'd rather see Camaro's on the road then hondas, toyotas, nissans etc...

that's why you make your car a little different...let the modding begin!
Old 12-12-2009, 08:02 AM   #13
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Drives: Long Distances
Quote:
Yet continued good sales volume is what will justify the continued existence (e.g. a next generation) for the Camaro. BTW, some of us like base cars...we don't want/need all the fluff in the higher trim levels...and want to focus on modding/customizing our cars. Regardless of trim level, I hope GM sells 500K+ 5th gen Camaros, 'cuz I want to see the Camaro remain in their product line forever!
Old 12-12-2009, 08:09 AM   #14
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Plenty of Camaros on the road just means one thing.. They will keep building them until sales fall too low to justify it being built.. That being said, just look around at all the older Camaros you see.. plenty of 3rd and 4th gens out there on the road.. but don't they still excite you to see them?? With the aftermarket parts that keep popping up for the 5th Gen cars you can mod it to make it different than any other 5th Gen you will see.. I wouldn't worry.. only those that want something exclusive or some kind of collector car are the ones complaining... if you want something like that you need to buy a Exotic car or something really expensive...

I am not a girlie, and I am getting a V6, you people that like to say that most men want to get a V8 must think all men need to prove something (even though you deny it, deep down you must lack something is the self confidence department)..