Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Gtechniq Glass Repellent Throwdown! G1 ClearVision Smart Glass vs G5 Water Repellent

Gtechniq, the masters of Smart Surface Science, offer two glass protectant products that promise exceptional water repellency. This is a quick review, testing G1 vs. G5. It's a heavweigh battle!

In the red corner: G1 SmartVision Clear Glass- This long distance fighter has the ability to go strong for twelve rounds. G1 forms a chemical bond to the glass which lasts up to 24 months, but the application can be a little more involved (particuarly the removal of the product from the glass).

In the blue corner: G5 Water Repellent Coating - If you prefer a fighter that is smooth and slick, floats like a butterfly, and repels waters like a Lotus Plant, then G5 is who you should place your money on. G5 comes out of the gate like a banshee hell-bent on sheeting water like Manny Pacquiao slapping a speed bag. G5 provides more intense water beading but only has the gas to go three rounds.

And the winner is.....: The Glass! You really cannot go wrong with either G1 or G5; both products are exceptional performers. If you desire easier application and removal (think RainX easy) then G5 Water Repellent Coating is your guy! While it "only" will last six months, which is longer than just about anything else (accept G1) it creates intense water beading that begins to evacuate water as low as 25 mph.

On the flip side, if you don't mind the more difficult removal of G1 ClearVision Smart Glass (think of Angelo Dundee having to tame Muhammed Ali in the gym) then your choice is easy. G1 provides near the water beading levels of G5, but will maintain that level for up to 24 months or 30k miles.

If you desire the best of both worlds (Sugar Ray Robinson in his prime) you can apply G5 Water Repellent Coating over G1 ClearVision Smart Glass. The choice is yours, and perhaps even better, you simply cannot go wrong.

Winners Are Made In The Gym: While the fight against rain gives both of these stars a chance to show case their skills, remember that it is the training camp or prep work where the winner is determined. For best results clean your glass thoroughly and polish with Gtechniq G4 Glass Nano Polish.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I want to try the G5, but I'll have to wait until I need more stuff. No way in hell am I paying $12 to ship a tiny little vial.

The G1 is still holding up like armor though. Amazing stuff.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Mark's SS

Drives: 17 Silverado 2500HD LTZ 4x4 Duramax
The G1 is working at beading water just fine for me. One thing that I have noticed is that there is a noticeable film on glass that when I try to clean just smears and is very hard to remove. Is there a best glass cleaner for use with the G1?
Mark's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's SS View Post
The G1 is working at beading water just fine for me. One thing that I have noticed is that there is a noticeable film on glass that when I try to clean just smears and is very hard to remove. Is there a best glass cleaner for use with the G1?
On the outside of the windows?

*In life, there are no nandroids*
Old 09-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
Mark's SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
On the outside of the windows?

Yes. It's like there is something greasy on the glass. When I try to clean it off it just smears. It dries really fast and leaves a residue that is almost impossible to wipe off. I am guessing that it is the coating but I can't figure out why it does this.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's SS View Post
Yes. It's like there is something greasy on the glass. When I try to clean it off it just smears. It dries really fast and leaves a residue that is almost impossible to wipe off. I am guessing that it is the coating but I can't figure out why it does this.
Hmm odd. Have you gone over it with alcohol and a Terry cloth?

Old 09-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
Mark's SS

Quote:

I'll try that and see what happens. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
Mark's SS

Quote:

That did the trick. I had considered doing that before but was wondering if it might degrade the sealant. The alcohol works great for cleaning the glass. Time will tell how the sealant holds up.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
That is cool
According to Todd, the only thing that will degrade the sealant is actually abrasively polishing the glass.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #10
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
According to Todd, the only thing that will degrade the sealant is actually abrasively polishing the glass.

This is what the manufacturer tells us, and through my experience, is absolutely true. Using alcohol will remove the excess product, but will not effect the coating that has bonded to the glass.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #11
CamaroDreams07

I'm still absolutely loving mine. I actually kind of like when it rains now.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:18 PM   #12
Mark's SS

Rain? What is this rain you speak of? Maybe some day I will see some rain to test mine out. The only time mine gets wet is when I wash it.