Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #99
swizlstik

Drives: 2018 Garnet ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
That just pisses me off more because it shows they had the ability to do it right and chose not to, hoping the customer doesn't notice. I'd never do that in my business. It's either done right or it's wrong.
I agree 100%. That's why after they got it right, I won't go back.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #100
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Just got off the phone with the GM of the dealer. He was beyond pissed and embarrassed at how my rep handled it. He said that car should never have left the lot and I should have been put up in a loaner at no charge. Said the rep was very new and she did just about everything she could have done wrong in terms of handling the situation.

I'm taking it back Monday and they get one more chance. I actually feel pretty hopeful after speaking with him, but I guess it just depends how true what he said is. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, because I've been managing people since I was 18 and I know it's hard to always know what everyone under you is doing at all times.

I think what really got him was when I told him I drive past three other Chevy dealers to get to his place because I'm usually so pleased with the work they do. More flies with honey..

*In life, there are no nandroids*
Old 10-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #101
Mark's SS

Drives: 17 Silverado 2500HD LTZ 4x4 Duramax
I hope they step up and get your ride back to the level of perfection that you expect. But, we all know that is probably not going to happen. They just don't look at it the same way you do. Just make sure that all the body work is done right. Take it home and get it back up to your standards. You know that nobody else is going to do that.
Glad your car is back in one piece and you will be back on the road soon.

Good luck.
Mark's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #102
mcbeth15

Drives: '11 RS 2LT IBM
Quote:
Just got off the phone with the GM of the dealer. He was beyond pissed and embarrassed at how my rep handled it. He said that car should never have left the lot and I should have been put up in a loaner at no charge. Said the rep was very new and she did just about everything she could have done wrong in terms of handling the situation.

I'm taking it back Monday and they get one more chance. I actually feel pretty hopeful after speaking with him, but I guess it just depends how true what he said is. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, because I've been managing people since I was 18 and I know it's hard to always know what everyone under you is doing at all times.

I think what really got him was when I told him I drive past three other Chevy dealers to get to his place because I'm usually so pleased with the work they do. More flies with honey..

Hang in there Dreams. Good things come to those who wait!
mcbeth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #103
CamaroDreams07

Old 10-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #104
spaznasty

Drives: 2012 camaro 2LS
thats why i love where i live, i could have shot that ****er. sorry to hear about your luck man. hope everything gets sorted out, and in a timely manner.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:07 AM   #105
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:

Yeah CD you have every right to be dissatisfied with that work - I hope they go the extra mile to make it right. Best of luck man.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #106
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I effin' hate how these shops can't spend a liitle more time on work detail such as aligning the body parts.

I had my Dodge Ram repaired which included a new front bumper cover. They didn't align the bumper correctly and the hood/grill was rubbing on the top of my bumper. They installed the front splitter support brackets on the top of it instead of under the splitter where they actually keep the splitter snug against the bumper.

Name:  hemi chr.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  147.9 KB

They also didn't screw the front part of my running board and it had a huge gap. I ended up doing all that detail work myself but they still stuck it to my insurance company.

It was a $6,500 repair just for driving into a 4' deep ditch on the side of a road and almost rolling my truck.

Sorry they didn't do your pride and joy justice.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #107
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:

Don't waste your time complaining to them. Your standard is too high for any shop to follow - they'll say they'll fix it, scoff behind your back, and return a product that is still subpar in your eyes. And trust me, I'm not saying that's a bad thing since I think very much like you when it comes to this.

Hate to say it, but you might need to come to terms with the fact that you'll have "homework" to do when getting your car back from a body shop. It's what happens 9 times out of 10. Happened with my aftermarket hood (REAL bad one) and my quarter panel when it got scratched severely (not as bad).

Most aftermarket paintjobs can't be shot without substantial orange peel... part of the reason for that is the 2K system utilized to dry paint in a bodyshop environment, which, hate to say it, is uncontrolled in comparison to the factory our cars are made in. To remedy this, a body shop sprays on extra clear coat in preparation for what they refer to as "cutting and buffing" which usually involves wetsanding to level the orange peel to a more factory appearance and then buffing it to a shine. All they're concerned about is getting the shine and reflection back, so they take a wool pad, 3M compound, and rotary and go to town. They don't give two shits about holograms or swirls. Occasionally, as was the case with my rear bumper, a bodyshop'll shoot a paintjob with orange peel matching that of the factory, in which case they don't need to buff. That's when you get a perfect product back, but usually that doesn't happen.

Body shops work on a quantity moreso than quality basis unless you're going to the right one. The average joe doesn't know WTF a buffer hologram or swirl mark is, so MOST of their customer base is satisfied.

I've accepted that, in general, the above is what will always happen and that I'll always have homework to do when I take the car back.

If the *PAINTJOB ITSELF* is satisfactory, I'd say just grab a beer/coke/water (whatever you drink) and spend a day on it with your PC until it's to your standards. Holograms, swirls, and wetsand marks are correctable. Paint defects, on the other hand, aren't.

Then again, if the paintjob itself is crap (terrible orange peel, fisheyes, runs, solvent pop, etc.) then take it back for sure.

All I'm saying is that most of the time, you'll never get a product from a bodyshop that isn't covered in buffer holograms and swirls. Body shops know paint, but they don't know detailing.

As for the body alignments, moving that hood up a bit on the front is easy. Just turn the rubber hood bumpstops a few turns and see if that helps. If it doesn't, contact me through PM I know alllll about aligning a hood (got an aftermarket hood fitted by yours truly and a couple friends). And for that red circled spot on that area of the rockers that is jutted out a bit? Shit... my car is factory, never been in an accident, and I have that shit going on. You're lucky you didn't have it before! LOL

Ultimately, you don't deserve better treatment from them because frankly it's unlikely you'll get it, and if you do this second time around then I truly will be glad to see that. What you deserve is your OWN treatment, which you know best. They took care of what you don't have experience in (body work and paint job), now it's time to do what YOU do best and bring that shine out and create a flawless finish.

Last edited by nUcLeArEnVoY; 10-21-2012 at 12:34 AM.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #108
CamaroDreams07

Well guys, just dropped her off again. I'm now driving the biggest damn truck I've ever seen . Crew cab Silverado Texas Edition w/ 400 miles on it. Was the only vehicle they had available. I was bitching about it at the time, but I hate to admit how much I like it. I want one lol.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #109
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Well guys, just dropped her off again. I'm now driving the biggest damn truck I've ever seen . Crew cab Silverado Texas Edition w/ 400 miles on it. Was the only vehicle they had available. I was bitching about it at the time, but I hate to admit how much I like it. I want one lol.
Nice! go run over some curbs and trash cans. Park with two of your tires on the sidewalk. All the fun things the Camaro can't do.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #110
Mark's SS

Drives: 17 Silverado 2500HD LTZ 4x4 Duramax
Quote:
Buy it. It'll come in handy in case you have to run over ***holes you meet on the street. There is also a nice center console for your firearms. Just in case.
Mark's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #111
CamaroDreams07

Got it back today. Holograms slightly improved, panels lined back up, they still left dried compound in every crevice... The main thing I cared about was having the steering issue fixed and body panels lined up. I can take care of the rest myself. Shouldn't have to for $6000, but I do.

I guess I can understand them not being able to pay someone to spend a day polishing out my car, but it just seems shitty. I didn't ask to be hit by some drunk, and the paint was flawless at the time. Just sucks that now I have to put in a whole day getting it back. Such is life I guess.

Moral of the story, wouldn't recommend having any paint work done at Stonebriar Chevrolet. They really seem to be going downhill in the past year or so. Even the service department isn't the same. It;s a shame because they used to be such a top-notch facility.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #112
mcbeth15

Drives: '11 RS 2LT IBM
Glad to hear ya got her back. As for the polishing just accept the fact that nobody would have done it to your standards any way, lol. I guess we all get anal about something we care about.
mcbeth15 is offline   Reply With Quote