Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

View Poll Results: What rain repellant do you use, if any?
Rain X 11 37.93%
Aquapel 2 6.90%
Other glass treatment 8 27.59%
None 8 27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #15
Gotthat02fire

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss IOM
Have a link to G1 sounds interesting love trying out something new just to see how things work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Without a doubt the best thing I've ever used on windows is GTechniq G1. That stuff is a bit of a pain to apply, but holy crap does it work. Lasts up to 3 years/ 36k miles too.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Gotthat02fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #16
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotthat02fire View Post
Have a link to G1 sounds interesting love trying out something new just to see how things work?
Here ya go
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #17
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Before relocating to Colorado I wasn't a big user of glass sealants. With the lack of any real weather in SoCal I never saw the need. Now going into my 2nd winter here and I have to say I have a whole new respect for a dedicated glass sealant product.

Not only makes the visibility better, but things like removing ice/snow are much less of a pain in the rear.

I applied our Glass Sealant to my truck 2x last winter... I'm preparing to do my big annual winter prep here in the next few weeks and it'll be going on again. Gets me easily 250 miles of 'weather' driving per application and its quick so the effort is very worth it.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-498-a...s-sealant.aspx
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #18
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Before relocating to Colorado I wasn't a big user of glass sealants. With the lack of any real weather in SoCal I never saw the need. Now going into my 2nd winter here and I have to say I have a whole new respect for a dedicated glass sealant product.

Not only makes the visibility better, but things like removing ice/snow are much less of a pain in the rear.

I applied our Glass Sealant to my truck 2x last winter... I'm preparing to do my big annual winter prep here in the next few weeks and it'll be going on again. Gets me easily 250 miles of 'weather' driving per application and its quick so the effort is very worth it.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-498-a...s-sealant.aspx
You guys make a great glass sealant that's for sure. Especially considering ease of application.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #19
Haole
2017 SS

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
I spent $20+ for a small bttle of adams glass sealant, I agree it is easy to apply but for me it just doesn't last long enough. After a few trips back and forth to work across the island it doesn't seem to be doing anything for my windshield. Maybe its the tropical climate. I'm not sure.
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #20
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haole View Post
I spent $20 for adams glass sealant, I agree it is easy to apply but for me it just doesn't last long enough. After a few trips back and forth to work across the island it doesn't seem to be doing anything for my windshield. Maybe its the tropical climate. I'm not sure.
I was just going to post that 250 miles across my island is only 3 trips worth to and from work.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #21
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Considering the current national "average" miles driven per year is say 15,000 miles a year now? Divided by 12 months = 1250 miles per month driven / 250 miles = 5 applications a month? Maybe you forgot a 0 Dylan?

Honestly I've never tried the Adams water repellant product, not bashing, just doing some simple math.

I did a little research on the GTechniq G1, seems very interesting. Looks like they also have another product called G5 which looks to repel water even better than the G1, but only lasts appx 5 months... They say you can apply G5 over the top of G1, but if you have to keep reapplying G5 every 5 months over the original G1 application, why not skip the G1? There was a pretty good video I found that showed G1 on one half of the windshield vs G5 on the other half.

I imagine the G5 product is very similar (if not the same thing in a different package) to Aquapel.

I see we have one faithful customer interested in some Aquapel? Anyone else? Unfortunately I can't post pricing here, but if you are interested send me a PM and I will give you the low down on the pricing. And if your car (unfortunatey) has to sit out side year round like mine, I've also found a killer product that removes water spots that can be included in whatever sweet glass cleaning / water repelling deal you feel like...

That is basically 3 years of untreated water spots removed in just mere minutes shown above. Plus you can use it in your house for shower doors, windows, oven tops, etc... I bought one can, specifically for my car, and I think it could probably last me the rest of my life, even if I cleaned everything in my house with it.

A-MAZ Water Stain Remover is made from all natural ingredients that are biodegradable, non-toxic, and contain no chlorides, chlorines, or harmful acids. A-MAZ stain remover is safe to use in non-ventilated areas and no mask, or gloves are required. A-MAZ is manufactured as a paste which is able to produce a deep clean with amazing results to make surfaces look brand new again </shameless plug>

Complete windshield cleanliness is always recommended before applying any type of sealant/long lasting water repellant.

</shameless plug>
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #22
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostnkost View Post
I was just going to post that 250 miles across my island is only 3 trips worth to and from work.
I believe he meant weather miles in the sense that of actual rain. So 250 miles of rain not just distance in total.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #23
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
Considering the current national "average" miles driven per year is say 15,000 miles a year now? Divided by 12 months = 1250 miles per month driven / 250 miles = 5 applications a month? Maybe you forgot a 0 Dylan?

Honestly I've never tried the Adams water repellant product, not bashing, just doing some simple math.

I did a little research on the GTechniq G1, seems very interesting. Looks like they also have another product called G5 which looks to repel water even better than the G1, but only lasts appx 5 months... They say you can apply G5 over the top of G1, but if you have to keep reapplying G5 every 5 months over the original G1 application, why not skip the G1? There was a pretty good video I found that showed G1 on one half of the windshield vs G5 on the other half.

I imagine the G5 product is very similar (if not the same thing in a different package) to Aquapel.

I see we have one faithful customer interested in some Aquapel? Anyone else? Unfortunately I can't post pricing here, but if you are interested send me a PM and I will give you the low down on the pricing. And if your car (unfortunatey) has to sit out side year round like mine, I've also found a killer product that removes water spots that can be included in whatever sweet glass cleaning / water repelling deal you feel like...

That is basically 3 years of untreated water spots removed in just mere minutes shown above. Plus you can use it in your house for shower doors, windows, oven tops, etc... I bought one can, specifically for my car, and I think it could probably last me the rest of my life, even if I cleaned everything in my house with it.

A-MAZ Water Stain Remover is made from all natural ingredients that are biodegradable, non-toxic, and contain no chlorides, chlorines, or harmful acids. A-MAZ stain remover is safe to use in non-ventilated areas and no mask, or gloves are required. A-MAZ is manufactured as a paste which is able to produce a deep clean with amazing results to make surfaces look brand new again </shameless plug>

Complete windshield cleanliness is always recommended before applying any type of sealant/long lasting water repellant.

</shameless plug>
You've got a lot of bad/misinformation in there. But at least you got to pimp your product...again.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #24
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
... OK, I am sold on GTechniq G1. Good suggestion - just watched some vids. The short lifespan of Rain-x is my deal-breaker with them.
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:01 AM   #25
GroundPilot

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS "Bridgette"
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPERIALBLUE2SS View Post
I just wax my windshields, have been doing it for years on all my vehicles and believe me I have a herd! Works great I don't have to turn my wipers on until I come to a stop just rolls up and over the windshield.
Same here...
GroundPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #26
Mark's SS

Drives: 17 Silverado 2500HD LTZ 4x4 Duramax
GTechniq G1 has worked well for me.
Mark's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #27
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
I have had Gtechniq Clear Vision Smart Glass on my car for 1 year and 4 month and it is STILL performing like the day I put it on. I saw this thread so I copied a review of it over here- originally dated 7/19/12- http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...21#post7094321
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #28
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
I believe he meant weather miles in the sense that of actual rain. So 250 miles of rain not just distance in total.
Once it starts raining here in the late fall to early/mid winder, it rains almost non stop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
You've got a lot of bad/misinformation in there. But at least you got to pimp your product...again.

The info I wrote about the g1/g5 products is just what I gathered from watching a video that compared g1 vs g5.

Other vendors plug their stuff all the time, I do it very rarely. Buy my "inferior product" if you want, if you don't, then don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
I have had Gtechniq Clear Vision Smart Glass on my car for 1 year and 4 month and it is STILL performing like the day I put it on. I saw this thread so I copied a review of it over here- originally dated 7/19/12- http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...21#post7094321
Thanks for the review and great instructional post on the G1 Todd.

It never hurts to try something new, perhaps I'll give G1 a shot and see how I like it
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote