Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-19-2016, 03:54 PM   #1
christgoms

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS
Catless + Stock muffler

Hello, so

Yesterday the check engine light cames on with the P0430 code, thats cat problem, so, changing both cats its like 1600$ + install.

My question is, my camaro is all stock, V6 RS model, no mods, i really dont want to waste a lot of money buying again those cats. I want to delete them, is that possible? Replace it with a tube? Any suggestions?

Thanks
christgoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
William.23

Drives: 2011 Summit White.
Is that dealership Price?

If so, they are trying to screw you over. Installing Cats doesn't take long. You can buy High Flow Cat's for around $800 - $900 .

Or you can just do a cat delete, seems that's what a lot of people are doing now. I'm not quite sure on how to do that. Hopefully someone can chime in.

(Since you live in Florida, I believe that's ok removing Cats) *Since I live in Cali, no cats = no passing emissions (Supposedly (; )
William.23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:39 PM   #3
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
First- it's not OK in any state, it is against Federal law (Clean Air Act of 1988). You can be fined $2,500 for removing them, or a shop $25,000.

Cats have a long warranty and are made to last that long. More likely its a bad O2 sensor or bad gas and it may clear on its own.

If not, I'd watch the V6 classified adds here on C5 for someone who has removed their cats (most likely for high flows) and pick up a pair for cheap!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:17 AM   #4
William.23

Drives: 2011 Summit White.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
First- it's not OK in any state, it is against Federal law (Clean Air Act of 1988). You can be fined $2,500 for removing them, or a shop $25,000.

Cats have a long warranty and are made to last that long. More likely its a bad O2 sensor or bad gas and it may clear on its own.

If not, I'd watch the V6 classified adds here on C5 for someone who has removed their cats (most likely for high flows) and pick up a pair for cheap!

Interesting -- Thanks for the knowledge on that. That's why I love the Camaro5 Community everyone is so helpful (: .
So when people remove their cats - they replace them with High Flows - it's the same thing right? Except now it's aftermarket - probably better flow = more HP?
William.23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:21 AM   #5
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
Get yourself an OBD2 scanner or a Hypertech tuner so you can clear codes. I get codes all of the time. If you take your car to the dealer with a cat code, they're going to try to get you to REPLACE it..... That's how they make money.
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:05 PM   #6
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by William.23 View Post
Interesting -- Thanks for the knowledge on that. That's why I love the Camaro5 Community everyone is so helpful (: .
So when people remove their cats - they replace them with High Flows - it's the same thing right? Except now it's aftermarket - probably better flow = more HP?
That's right except all high flows are not created equal. A good set like Solo HFC's will bolt right into place of your stock cats, sound better (they include a resonator to avoid the dreaded V6 rasp and provide a deeper sound), and still pass emissions checks should FLA ever require them. And I believe their dyno shows a 15HP gain over stock.

As always, you get what you pay for and last I looked they were going for about $700 for a pair. But it is a simple bolt together job most people can do in their driveway- so there's no additional labor cost involved.

Check'em out here-
http://solo-performance.com/pe-camar...rters-std-auto
you won't regret it.
Almost forgot to mention- you won't get any check engine light with these either!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote