Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-01-2023, 04:23 AM   #43
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
Another for Proclip, had one since 2018, tier one product.
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 08:32 AM   #44
Thestormoverkrynn

Drives: Camaro Zl1
Oh and we drive Camaros, do we really care about resale value? [/QUOTE]

not sure about you but i paid almost 105k for my zl1 1le. Can u afford not to care about resale value? That's why i kept all my stock parts.
Thestormoverkrynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 09:47 AM   #45
sactownbwoy

Drives: '22 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thestormoverkrynn View Post
Oh and we drive Camaros, do we really care about resale value?
not sure about you but i paid almost 105k for my zl1 1le. Can u afford not to care about resale value? That's why i kept all my stock parts.[/QUOTE]

I never plan on selling my Camaro so for me resale value is irrelevant. And even if I do decide to sell, I would have already gotten my money's worth out of it.
sactownbwoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 05:15 PM   #46
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Not until one can do the exact same things on the screen in "car mode" as one can on the phone.
What am I missing? Serious question.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 07:15 PM   #47
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
What am I missing? Serious question.
Okay, to preface this, I am an old school guy who grew up without cell phones and doesn't love or even miss the phone at all when it isn't around. Also, a phone is already nerf world supreme compared to a real computer in terms of user interaction, comfort and usability (yes, I'm not stupid, I know I can't carry my 49" monitor in my pocket along with the big keyboard and mouse).

With that said, I have a small number of apps on my phone, around 60, and Android Auto forces me into maybe 10, if that, of them that have an explicit, AA-specific car interface, which is typically so much more nerf it isn't even funny.

The app I use to play music, for example, has only the most basic play/pause/list/choose random track functionality on the car screen and nothing more, unlike its phone UI. I can't browse the web properly, can't use messaging apps like Slack, can't use Torque Pro on the car screen (which would be insanely useful), and I could go on and on about the 50 other apps on the phone that aren't adapted to Android Auto.

Google Maps and Waze are okay, if that's all someone uses, I guess there isn't much difference indeed.

Finally, I understand I responded in terms of Android, because that's what I have, so maybe Apple has a better solution to the phone vs car interface problem; if these are identical on Apple phones (never had those myself and my daugher probably won't lend me hers ), then it's a Google-only problem indeed.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 07:42 PM   #48
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Thank God, Lehman can only pause play and fast forward while driving and not surf the Internet on their main car interface screen like their phones
CalgaryZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 08:01 PM   #49
david_acm

Drives: LT1
I don't usually use my phone when driving but whenever im driving long distances and need to charge my phone, it's nice to have a dedicated place for it and not keep it in the cup holders. The proclip is a rather expensive "phone holder when charging" thing but at least it's lasted far longer than the 3D printed ones I made last yea,r of which 2 warped in the hot Florida sun.
david_acm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 10:22 AM   #50
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Quote:
Okay, to preface this, I am an old school guy who grew up without cell phones and doesn't love or even miss the phone at all when it isn't around. Also, a phone is already nerf world supreme compared to a real computer in terms of user interaction, comfort and usability (yes, I'm not stupid, I know I can't carry my 49" monitor in my pocket along with the big keyboard and mouse).

With that said, I have a small number of apps on my phone, around 60, and Android Auto forces me into maybe 10, if that, of them that have an explicit, AA-specific car interface, which is typically so much more nerf it isn't even funny.

The app I use to play music, for example, has only the most basic play/pause/list/choose random track functionality on the car screen and nothing more, unlike its phone UI. I can't browse the web properly, can't use messaging apps like Slack, can't use Torque Pro on the car screen (which would be insanely useful), and I could go on and on about the 50 other apps on the phone that aren't adapted to Android Auto.

Google Maps and Waze are okay, if that's all someone uses, I guess there isn't much difference indeed.

Finally, I understand I responded in terms of Android, because that's what I have, so maybe Apple has a better solution to the phone vs car interface problem; if these are identical on Apple phones (never had those myself and my daugher probably won't lend me hers ), then it's a Google-only problem indeed.
Those are all valid points. I'm 45, and I also remember a time before cell phones, when our cars just had shaft-style cassette radios and the only distraction was looking for a different cassette or CD.

I'm an Android user and the wireless AA in my '23 SS works great. The latest Coolwalk update is really nice with the split-screens. I use Spotify or Pandora for music sources and I appreciate being able to easily change artists/channels on the fly. I can go to the AA apps screen and make changes. The split screen can include text messages (playback and speech-to-text replies) or navigation shortcuts. I can make any single app full screen or go back to split screen really easily.

I use google maps for navigation anyway, and the maps are seamlessly integrated. I have also tried the on-board navigation using on-star and then you can get navigation prompts in the center cluster, but My only gripe is that I cannot pull up maps on my phone to look for favorite locations or see locations of my family (shared).

As a result, I can drive for hours and never need to touch my phone. After a year and 21k miles, I haven't found a need to prop my phone in a visible location.

All that said, I'm going to try the ProClip mount that attaches near the top right of the gauge cluster to allow for profile or landscape to see what I think about having it available. Mostly because having the phone just resting on the center console is annoying.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 01:41 PM   #51
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
Thank God, Lehman can only pause play and fast forward while driving and not surf the Internet on their main car interface screen like their phones
Lehman has already plopped down the cash for a cell phone mount, so you aren't safer on the road unfortunately. (Who is Lehman btw? Me? Or is this a Canadian joke flying over my head?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
Those are all valid points. I'm 45, and I also remember a time before cell phones, when our cars just had shaft-style cassette radios and the only distraction was looking for a different cassette or CD.

I'm an Android user and the wireless AA in my '23 SS works great. The latest Coolwalk update is really nice with the split-screens. I use Spotify or Pandora for music sources and I appreciate being able to easily change artists/channels on the fly. I can go to the AA apps screen and make changes. The split screen can include text messages (playback and speech-to-text replies) or navigation shortcuts. I can make any single app full screen or go back to split screen really easily.

I use google maps for navigation anyway, and the maps are seamlessly integrated. I have also tried the on-board navigation using on-star and then you can get navigation prompts in the center cluster, but My only gripe is that I cannot pull up maps on my phone to look for favorite locations or see locations of my family (shared).

As a result, I can drive for hours and never need to touch my phone. After a year and 21k miles, I haven't found a need to prop my phone in a visible location.

All that said, I'm going to try the ProClip mount that attaches near the top right of the gauge cluster to allow for profile or landscape to see what I think about having it available. Mostly because having the phone just resting on the center console is annoying.
Yes, the Coolwalk split screen feature is very neat, I can put Google Maps next to VLC or even add a third app to the view. Wireless AA is super sweet, too, I just open the door, plop my phone on the wireless charger and by the time the infotainment boots up, AA is ready. None of this solves the severe limitations I mentioned, however; I don't understand why we can't have a simple screen projection with input virtualization when using AA (of course I do if I summon my jaded self, though...)

I use the builtin nav 95% of the time and Google Maps/Waze 5% of the time; if the GM renderer was a touch more decent (a UI designer must have been too expensive for GM), I would only ever use the onboard nav because of its proper HUD and DIC integration. Google has a serious edge in the visuals department, but if I'm serious, I don't really need a beautifully rendered 3D map to navigate, the stock one is fine.

Heh, I had to save up for over a year to buy a cassette player, and even then my parents had to chip in with half the money and I could only afford one of the crappiest, tape eating, bulky monsters. "Good" old times , but that would be a discussion for a Very Different Thread.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 08:05 AM   #52
Camby

Drives: 2023/2SS/1LE/RadiantRed/A10
Surprised this hasn’t been posted. I really like this mount.

https://coursemotorsports.com/produc...o-2016-present

Get 90* cable like this for a cleaner install if your phone wirelessly charges.
https://a.co/d/6jySphv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2023, 11:31 AM   #53
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:
Lehman has already plopped down the cash for a cell phone mount, so you aren't safer on the road unfortunately. (Who is Lehman btw? Me? Or is this a Canadian joke flying over my head?)

Yes, the Coolwalk split screen feature is very neat, I can put Google Maps next to VLC or even add a third app to the view. Wireless AA is super sweet, too, I just open the door, plop my phone on the wireless charger and by the time the infotainment boots up, AA is ready. None of this solves the severe limitations I mentioned, however; I don't understand why we can't have a simple screen projection with input virtualization when using AA (of course I do if I summon my jaded self, though...)
I think he meant "laymen".

Anyway, has anyone tried connecting a flash drive with MP3s in the USB C port on their android phone and navigating the folders/albums with something like VLC on screen? Will VLC read/play files on the external drive? Will AA allow you move up/down in the file structure using VLC instead of the native player (which won't)?
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 08:10 PM   #54
RKusaf

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 3LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjilslaire View Post
Yeah that wireless charging plate isn't even big enough to hold a modern phone. Useless. It stays in pocket and uses AA wirelessly.
I've leveled off the left and right sides of that charging pad in my 2023 3LT Camaro to make up for the extremely small pad/base. My S22 Ultra fits now but due to the small underpowered base, it barely does more than hold the charge when my phone is on it.

I'll most likely now be shaping some weatherstripping to fill the gaps and reshape them to the trim... or just buy the replacement part of the console. Either way, not even worth it for Chevrolet to have added that base into the Camaro. Can't be called a gimmick because even gimmicks work.
RKusaf is offline   Reply With Quote