Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #1
Lio Martinez
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE IMO Turbo
Need help on this CAM for my turbo 1LE

Ok so I finally decided to go ahead and do a Cam on the 1LE since the shop is gonna change waste gates springs and increase boost to 8 PSi I decided to do a Cam as well.

At first I wanted something really mild. But then I thought if I'm investing all this money might as well make it work. So I contacted a Comp rep and he was really helpful and did two Custom Comp cam grinds for me the first one was this one

And then I thought about it and decided I wanted a more chopping idle so he created it this one

The second one I will need Dual valve springs with seats and retainers. I want a 3 bolt cam so I'll have to get a 3 boot conversion kit, New push rods etc..

I know very little about cams. This car is a daily driver but I want the most power I can get. What do you guys think of the second Cam set up!?
Lio Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
IMO don't bother with ether. The gains will be the equivalent of turning the boost up 1-2psi. And you could just turn the boost up for free.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
I've never been impressed with comps recommendations. Contact Pat G or Ed Curtis for cam specs. I ran a comp spec'd cam once, and honestly it sucked.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
I've never been impressed with comps recommendations. Contact Pat G or Ed Curtis for cam specs. I ran a comp spec'd cam once, and honestly it sucked.
Don't know Ed Curtis, I'm sure he is great. I do know Pat Guerra aka PatG is awesome. patrick@guerragroup.com

Just tell Pat what you want and goals and future goals and he will set it up! Tell him I sent you....if you decide on him.
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
As mentioned, you can get the power you want by adjusting the boost. The first cam is -8 degrees of overlap vs the second cam's 0 degrees. Fairly big difference in drivability there. Also, as mentioned, get someone other than Comp to spec you a cam. It's a crap shoot when you call them as to whether the guy you're talking to has a clue. I do like the sound that a mild performance cam gives you. Something between the two cams you mentioned would be where I'd want to be. Negative 3 or 4 degrees of overlap is my sweet spot on an LS3.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:56 PM   #6
Allanski

Drives: Car
I have this cam out of my turbo for sale:
Custom turbo cam
DURATION INTAKE 250 EXHAUST 252
ROCKER ARM RATIO 1.8 GROSS LIFT .624
LOBE SEPARATION 117

Asking only $200 plus shipping $40

It is a custom cam that the shop had built for my stock engine we parted out.

PM me if interested.
Allanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #7
BooSSted

Drives: 2017 Z06 / 2012 CTS
Quote:
Old 03-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #8
Lio Martinez
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
As mentioned, you can get the power you want by adjusting the boost. The first cam is -8 degrees of overlap vs the second cam's 0 degrees. Fairly big difference in drivability there. Also, as mentioned, get someone other than Comp to spec you a cam. It's a crap shoot when you call them as to whether the guy you're talking to has a clue. I do like the sound that a mild performance cam gives you. Something between the two cams you mentioned would be where I'd want to be. Negative 3 or 4 degrees of overlap is my sweet spot on an LS3.
What do the degrees if overlap mean?
Old 03-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #9
Lio Martinez
Account Suspended

I really want a cam that has a nice kick but can still be driven everyday...
Old 03-10-2014, 08:51 PM   #10
Unreal

Overlap is how much time (in degrees) both the intake and exhaust valve are open. Like I said, talk to Pat G or Ed Curtis. They are the LS cam experts. I wouldn't run either one of those in your car, but that is me. Plus what lobes are those on? Comp typically like to recommend super aggressive lobes that kill valve springs/etc quickly.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
Lio Martinez
Account Suspended

Quote:
Overlap is how much time (in degrees) both the intake and exhaust valve are open. Like I said, talk to Pat G or Ed Curtis. They are the LS cam experts. I wouldn't run either one of those in your car, but that is me. Plus what lobes are those on? Comp typically like to recommend super aggressive lobes that kill valve springs/etc quickly.

How different is a Comp cam to a Night fury cam?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #12
Unreal

Comp is a brand of cams, night fury is one companies name of a cam that could be a comp cam, could be a different brand, just depends on who grinds it.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:15 PM   #13
prdi

Drives: CTS-V
im not a fan of the night fury cam... seems like all their cams lethal installs is called a night fury cam lol...dont see how the same cam specs work in EVERY type of car lol.. all they do is change the LSA to the different applications which to me is bull...
prdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #14
prdi

Drives: CTS-V
the advantage of a pat g cam is it is on EPS lobes which keeps the valve train happy. Comps usually do there cams on an aggressive lobe which causes fast wear on valve train parts.. and the EPS cam is cut by cam motion. So no worries about bad cam core like which happens with comp or bad lobes or anything like that.
prdi is offline   Reply With Quote