Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-27-2014, 06:58 AM   #43
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedStealth View Post
Really it's comparing apples to oranges. Essentially they're identical. The maggie has an outstanding track recorim d, but chevy uses the same Eaton supercharger that Edelbrock sells. So to be quite honest, there really is no one that is better than the other.
I'm a little late but this is incorrect. The slp is built by roush
And the eldebrock and gm are not the same.They All use Eaton rotors.
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:25 AM   #44
prdi

Drives: CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsmeagain View Post
Well Good News is PROCHARGER will have their Carb/EO by the end of this year! Sweet!!!
Vortech does have a carb number. im a dealer do alot of A&A kits for corvettes.A&A are in cali and their base supercharger can come with the carb number which is a vortech si trim. Do it all the time for the corvettes guys that run kits in cali man .
prdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #45
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Like HE said, Maggie/Edelbrock/LS9/SLP all use eaton TVS2300 rotors. That being said, they aren't all the same blower. There is plenty of differences in the packaging, drive systems, intercoolers, heat exchangers, etc.

Roush owns SLP.

Heck, the Roush blowers for mustangs are TVS2300 blowers, but they commonly make 820+rwhp without doing much. Better inlet, much bigger intercooler, better lower manifold/etc. Even though they are the same rotors the mustang allows gives them more room to do a bigger intake/intercooler which means more power.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #46
SuperchargedStealth

Drives: '11 Camaro Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-E View Post
I'm a little late but this is incorrect. The slp is built by roush
And the eldebrock and gm are not the same.They All use Eaton rotors.
I said that Edelbrock and GM uses an Eaton blower. SLP, is also a Eaton blower. If you go to their website, it says in the descrpition that SLP uses the same TVS style roots blower that is used in the ZR1 Corvette. So, all three companies use the Eaton brand blower.

Still, I was trying to make the point of one over the other by comparing the two by experience, and what GM uses that allows for the powertrain warranty to still be allowed.

http://www.slponline.com/product/920....kPi0YndR.dpuf
SuperchargedStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #47
SuperchargedStealth

Drives: '11 Camaro Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Like HE said, Maggie/Edelbrock/LS9/SLP all use eaton TVS2300 rotors. That being said, they aren't all the same blower. There is plenty of differences in the packaging, drive systems, intercoolers, heat exchangers, etc.

Roush owns SLP.

Heck, the Roush blowers for mustangs are TVS2300 blowers, but they commonly make 820+rwhp without doing much. Better inlet, much bigger intercooler, better lower manifold/etc. Even though they are the same rotors the mustang allows gives them more room to do a bigger intake/intercooler which means more power.
Now that is something I did not know. I thought that Maggie was an independent manufacturer of their blowers. Good to know. Now would you agree that, if all of the blowers mentioned, aside from the ECS, came with the exact same components, or very comparable ones, that you would see the same gains? The whole point I was trying to make of one vs. the other between the E-Force and Maggie, was that they do identical work was installed. Of coarse I'm not familiar with what each kit is provided.
SuperchargedStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #48
TitusSS

Drives: ECS Supercharged 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopterman View Post
Slowhawk, how is the throttle control better with the ECS?

So far the only down side I'm seeing with the ECS kit is it takes up a lot of space in the engine compartment so it would be harder to work on your engine after it is installed because of the limited space. Is this correct?

And the downside for the PD blower is Price, heat, and lower HP then ECS correct?

Oh and the PD blower needs a CAI where the ECS kit does not use one due to space?

Thanks guys!
I'm not Slowhawk but I have had both the TVS and now the ECS and I can tell you that the power band is much more linear with the ECS kit which is a lot easier to launch and control than the seemingly vertical power curve of the TVS. You pretty much don't want to take your hands off the steering wheel to shift with the TVS because the launch can be so violent. It's fun but harder to handle than the typical ECS launch where the boost builds in a much more controlled manner. YMMV.
TitusSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #49
2012LS3VERT

Drives: 2012 2SSRS Vert, Black w/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedStealth View Post
I said that Edelbrock and GM uses an Eaton blower. SLP, is also a Eaton blower. If you go to their website, it says in the descrpition that SLP uses the same TVS style roots blower that is used in the ZR1 Corvette. So, all three companies use the Eaton brand blower.

Still, I was trying to make the point of one over the other by comparing the two by experience, and what GM uses that allows for the powertrain warranty to still be allowed.

http://www.slponline.com/product/920....kPi0YndR.dpuf
They use the same Eaton ROTORS, they all use different blower cases, which allows for different intercooler setups and differences in airflow.
2012LS3VERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:11 PM   #50
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by prdi View Post
Vortech does have a carb number. im a dealer do alot of A&A kits for corvettes.A&A are in cali and their base supercharger can come with the carb number which is a vortech si trim. Do it all the time for the corvettes guys that run kits in cali man .
Carb numbers are for complete kits. So a carb number for a c6 corvette kit isn't exactly going to work on a Camaro. I guess if you could get your hands on a carb tag from a corvette kit you could try to pull a fast one on them but the vortech Camaro kits aren't carb legal.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:14 PM   #51
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post

Roush owns SLP.

The Ford heads and overhead cam is why you see much more power out or their setup
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:43 PM   #52
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopterman View Post
Maybe you guys could help me to understand this?

Magnuson Heartbeat 120+ HP $8995.00

ECS1500 200+ HP $5995.00

I know these are two different types (one root? and one centrifugal) of superchargers but is there any kind of reasons why I would pay $3000.00 more for 80 HP less? I would love to hear the pros and cons of these two supercharges.

Thanks guys
These are kits. The heartbeat blower retails for like $6400 by itself. It must be supported by a water cooling system which is more expensive to add than air to air. The "kit" for the heartbeat is pretty bare bones and the ECS kit was engineered to get the most bang for the buck.

Both of these superchargers can make a lot more power than what you get in the "kit". I personally like the roots type blowers best. If you happen to like the power characteristics of a centri then they are a real bargain. If the kit fits your needs then get the kit but if you have enough cash and a good builder either supercharger can get you 800+whp with the right supporting modifications.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote