Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #1
GenF-GTS
Account Suspended

Drives: none
GT9 Cam HP Gain

Using the Lingenfelter GT9 Cam over the stock cam what HP gains are you looking at in the low/middle/top versus the stock cam with stock boost and 18-30% over drive boost?

I've read it's worth about 20-30hp....if so thats nothing, seems not even worth it all the effort and money for very little.

Anyone have a dyno comparison to the stock cam?

Dyno's that say 700HP with the GT9 cam wont cut it thats not a comparison
GenF-GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:43 AM   #2
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I would pick a cam with different profile myself. why not just have one ground base on you mods???

cam is a mod IMO after you do many other things. to get to 700whp you will have to have one but the labor involved makes other mods make more sense first IMO.

I have seen a couple cars hit 700hp with no headwork so in those combinations seem like cam is proabably bring 40-50hp.

it is so dependant on other mods as well though.

a pulley is way more ban for the buck than a cam if paying for labor, headers give good HP for ease of install. cai TB are just easy.

cam IMO is all about goals. if you want 700hp you pretty much ahve to have it. if you want a bottom 10 second car you almost have to have it you can get there with porting options as well and no cam.

if you just want a fast car you don't have to do it. fi you like a lopy idle you have to have one.

now if you turn you own wrench and are willing to do then a cam is good HP for dollar. the minute you pay someone else to do it it only pencils out if you need over 640ish hp. IMO

I keep goint back and forth but I am temped to just trying ported snout, upper pulley (have lower already), 102MMtb, headers. this gets you pretty good power with real minimal labor. I am not going for an all out build though focused on 700hp dyno sheet.

at some point though porting and cam just become something you have to do to go farther.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
GenF-GTS
Account Suspended

mods will be:

ported heads
ported snout
ported supercharger
102 throttle body
lower pulley 18%
1" 7/8 headers
exhaust

really wondering on that combo what the difference a cam will make, yes im thinking hey the heads are off why not do the cam but if its only 30HP thats only 30HP which also includes all new head gear too + yes the labor which i can do myself to change the cam....however as you know it's now quick easy cam swap with the engine in the car, loads of stuff in the way.

So when you are talking all new springs, locks, retainers, cam...may as well change the pushrods while you are there too $$$$ for what 30-50hp
Old 03-05-2014, 12:07 PM   #4
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
One thing you have to understand about a cam,its not about the peak Hp numbers,which a lot of people throw around...Its about the Avg Hp numbers,and the curve...I would rather give up 10 rwhp peak with one cam and gain 50 rwhp over the whole band...
Old 03-05-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
prdi

Drives: CTS-V
the right cam easily gains 40-50 RWHP with ease
prdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #6
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
BTR stg III will be worth 70 hp with those mods. Eric Holdener recently did a back to back test of the common blower cams. LS9 lost low end torque compared to stock LSA cam. BTR stage III gained power everywhere.

And a GT9 will tear up valve stems tips very quickly. Seen some guys on LS1tech pull GT9 cams out after only 3000 miles and damage was already done.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #7
hognutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.N. View Post
mods will be:

ported heads
ported snout
ported supercharger
102 throttle body
lower pulley 18%
1" 7/8 headers
exhaust

really wondering on that combo what the difference a cam will make, yes im thinking hey the heads are off why not do the cam but if its only 30HP thats only 30HP which also includes all new head gear too + yes the labor which i can do myself to change the cam....however as you know it's now quick easy cam swap with the engine in the car, loads of stuff in the way.

So when you are talking all new springs, locks, retainers, cam...may as well change the pushrods while you are there too $$$$ for what 30-50hp
how much hp do you think the head porting gets you??? 35-40 and you spending a grip on that. Just do a core exchange on the ported heads so they come with teh right springs and retainers. then by a cam.

it is a no brainer to me on that mod list. the amount of money porting a blower cost and portign heads cost why not do the cam. should net you more HP than either of those mods fro similar money.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
Old 03-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #8
GenF-GTS
Account Suspended

I have access to a cnc so cost isn't the issue there
Old 03-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #9
ZO6 Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
how much hp do you think the head porting gets you??? 35-40 and you spending a grip on that. Just do a core exchange on the ported heads so they come with teh right springs and retainers. then by a cam.

it is a no brainer to me on that mod list. the amount of money porting a blower cost and portign heads cost why not do the cam. should net you more HP than either of those mods fro similar money.
Agreed. If going that far into the engine don't put the stock cam back in.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
hognutz

Quote:
even better take the 1k you saved and buy the cam ha ha.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
Old 03-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #11
ZO6 Bryan

Quote:
Just having access to a CNC isn't enough. You need a properly developed digital port file for the LSA heads. Even then you still need a machine shop to do the valve job, finish hand blending and assembly. If you could do all that yourself I wouldn't think you would be in here asking questions about what cam to use.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #12
GenF-GTS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
even better take the 1k you saved and buy the cam ha ha.
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
Just having access to a CNC isn't enough. You need a properly developed digital port file for the LSA heads. Even then you still need a machine shop to do the valve job, finish hand blending and assembly. If you could do all that yourself I wouldn't think you would be in here asking questions about what cam to use.
yes sorry i have access to a CNC which already has a program built for LS heads. It's not my CNC so yes other requirements of the process I will have help with.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:26 AM   #13
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
BTR stg III will be worth 70 hp with those mods. Eric Holdener recently did a back to back test of the common blower cams. LS9 lost low end torque compared to stock LSA cam. BTR stage III gained power everywhere.

And a GT9 will tear up valve stems tips very quickly. Seen some guys on LS1tech pull GT9 cams out after only 3000 miles and damage was already done.
Do you happen to have a link to those tests? I'm looking at all my options...

Quote:
Using the Lingenfelter GT9 Cam over the stock cam what HP gains are you looking at in the low/middle/top versus the stock cam with stock boost and 18-30% over drive boost?

I've read it's worth about 20-30hp....if so thats nothing, seems not even worth it all the effort and money for very little.

Anyone have a dyno comparison to the stock cam?

Dyno's that say 700HP with the GT9 cam wont cut it thats not a comparison
Jannetty Racing has a cam kit that also comes with all the proper internals, When I asked Ted about it he said it is good for 50HP by itself
Quote:
It is worth a minimum of 50 RWHP and with pulley injectors, fuel pump, changes can increase power up to 150 RWHP.
Here is what's in the kit other than the cam:

Valve Springs
Spring Seats
Valve Seals
Locks
Retainers
LS Trunion Upgrade
Crankbolt
Cam Sprocket Bolt
Timing Cover Gasket
Front Crank Seal
Camshaft Timing Chain Gear
Hardened Pushrods

Here is the link: http://www.jreperformanceparts.com/2...m-package.html
Old 03-06-2014, 01:31 PM   #14
prdi

Drives: CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarx82 View Post
Do you happen to have a link to those tests? I'm looking at all my options...

Jannetty Racing has a cam kit that also comes with all the proper internals, When I asked Ted about it he said it is good for 50HP by itself Here is what's in the kit other than the cam:

Valve Springs
Spring Seats
Valve Seals
Locks
Retainers
LS Trunion Upgrade
Crankbolt
Cam Sprocket Bolt
Timing Cover Gasket
Front Crank Seal
Camshaft Timing Chain Gear
Hardened Pushrods

Here is the link: http://www.jreperformanceparts.com/2...m-package.html
it is a ok deal..But hell my complete cam kit comes with all the same stuff.. minus the trunion upgrade(optional) but comes with the c5R timing chain.. and is still a few hundred less..
prdi is offline   Reply With Quote