Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-04-2023, 10:32 AM   #1
elsololobo02

Drives: 2014 ZL1
2014 ZL1 CA SMOG question - O2 Monitor test not passing

Need some advice from the Forums from folks with experience.

Long story short, my car was up for SMOG testing in CA last January - 2022 and the testing site software found my Jannetty custom tune within the ECM (illegal software).

So, I re-flashed to the stock tune and for the past 7 months or so the O2 monitor test will not complete. I have driven it 7k miles since with multiple drive cycles completed (idle four min with AC/Defrost on, up to 35 MPH for three min and up to 55 MPH for five min then coast back down to 20 MPH etc.).

I also had the dealership replace with OEM all four O2 sensors, new battery and all new spark plug wires as well about three months ago. The car has 123k miles with no CELs or codes recorded. I have another appt. with the Dealership this coming Tuesday, which the service desk may not be helpful as I am not throwing any codes.

Mods on the car are: Rotofab intake, ID 850 injectors and Shorty headers (CARB legal) and 10% OD lower pulley all currently on stock tune. I also reached out to Ted to know if there is something within the stock tune that is keeping the O2 monitor test from running.

From anyone's experience, is there anything you have done to pass the test with the same issue? Was told to go see a SMOG referee if the Dealership can't find the issue.
elsololobo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 10:51 AM   #2
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
It is difficult to answer your question without seeing the test results. My guess is it's running too rich. Are you certain the system is flashed back to all oem parameters? Only in Cali...
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 11:14 AM   #3
2010sgm

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
pm me used to live in cali and i have a connect to get your car passed
Old 01-04-2023, 03:01 PM   #4
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
If you're using HP Tuners, try WRITE ENTIRE. It has worked for me in the past
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 03:29 PM   #5
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
I would be surprised that anything will work with no-stock injectors. Stock tune won't know how to adjust fuel for them. The OD pulley might compound the problem.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 07:18 PM   #6
elsololobo02

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
It is difficult to answer your question without seeing the test results. My guess is it's running too rich. Are you certain the system is flashed back to all oem parameters? Only in Cali...
I'm not certain as it is a handheld SCT tuner.

Attached is a picture of the test results.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2023, 09:21 PM   #7
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsololobo02 View Post

Long story short, my car was up for SMOG testing in CA last January - 2022 and the testing site software found my Jannetty custom tune within the ECM (illegal software).

So, I re-flashed to the stock tune and for the past 7 months or so the O2 monitor test will not complete. I have driven it 7k miles since with multiple drive cycles completed (idle four min with AC/Defrost on, up to 35 MPH for three min and up to 55 MPH for five min then coast back down to 20 MPH etc.).

I also had the dealership replace with OEM all four O2 sensors, new battery and all new spark plug wires as well about three months ago. The car has 123k miles with no CELs or codes recorded. I have another appt. with the Dealership this coming Tuesday, which the service desk may not be helpful as I am not throwing any codes.

Mods on the car are: Rotofab intake, ID 850 injectors and Shorty headers (CARB legal) and 10% OD lower pulley all currently on stock tune. I also reached out to Ted to know if there is something within the stock tune that is keeping the O2 monitor test from running.

From anyone's experience, is there anything you have done to pass the test with the same issue? Was told to go see a SMOG referee if the Dealership can't find the issue.
Don't reflash it yet.
I'm in the same boat; I am due for a re smog.
My evap doesn't want to go ready despite the driving cycles.
I got a new scanner I might troubleshoot it more, or not.
Last time I got by because you CAN have 1 not ready.
That's not the same as a code thrown and check engine light, one not ready will still pass.
The rotofab, I don't know if you will swap stock back before test or not, as you know it's not carb approved. YMMV there.
You also likely know but others might not, each time you reflash they all go not ready so I would not F with that now. Only after you pass smog.
edit: oh they will mention the one not ready, it's easiest to say the battery went dead or you replaced it last week, as that causes them all to go not ready rather than saying your flashing back and forth obviously.
I wouldn't go back to the dealership unless there is a problem you haven't mentioned. I believe the front O2 sensors are fine or you'd have a different code. Those are needed for self adjusting the tune. The rears I assume are still there? are used for that not ready condition, they aren't needed for engine operation.

Last edited by silversleeper; 01-04-2023 at 09:31 PM.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 09:47 PM   #8
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:

Are you telling me you spoke with Ted and told him what you are running which is just shy of the JRE 125 package and you flashed it and drove it on the stock tune?
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 07:37 PM   #9
elsololobo02

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
Don't reflash it yet.
I'm in the same boat; I am due for a re smog.
My evap doesn't want to go ready despite the driving cycles.
I got a new scanner I might troubleshoot it more, or not.
Last time I got by because you CAN have 1 not ready.
That's not the same as a code thrown and check engine light, one not ready will still pass.
The rotofab, I don't know if you will swap stock back before test or not, as you know it's not carb approved. YMMV there.
You also likely know but others might not, each time you reflash they all go not ready so I would not F with that now. Only after you pass smog.
edit: oh they will mention the one not ready, it's easiest to say the battery went dead or you replaced it last week, as that causes them all to go not ready rather than saying your flashing back and forth obviously.
I wouldn't go back to the dealership unless there is a problem you haven't mentioned. I believe the front O2 sensors are fine or you'd have a different code. Those are needed for self adjusting the tune. The rears I assume are still there? are used for that not ready condition, they aren't needed for engine operation.
Definitely waiting on re-flashing and yes, it takes like 200-300 miles to get all the monitors to pass.

I also will be putting the stock air box back on and the O2 sensors were all (four of them) replaced ~three months ago with OEM.

Ted hit me back up and thinks the ID 850's are the issue. I ordered new stock injectors today and will install them in the next week or two. Sticking stock from here on out as we have to smog every two years now - wish I was back on the East Coast
Old 01-05-2023, 07:43 PM   #10
elsololobo02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Are you telling me you spoke with Ted and told him what you are running which is just shy of the JRE 125 package and you flashed it and drove it on the stock tune?
Yes, I have the 75 RWHP package with his tunes (91 and 94 Octane).

I have been driving with the stock tune for several months with all the above mods and having no issues nor codes at this time.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:22 PM   #11
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Yes, I have the 75 RWHP package with his tunes (91 and 94 Octane).

I have been driving with the stock tune for several months with all the above mods and having no issues nor codes at this time.
Interesting, when I ran the JRE 75 9 years ago it was CAI, 10% lower pulley, great tune by Ted. The 850’s on a stock tune would seem to be very rich as if I remember the stock are around 35 - 40 and the 850’s are 94lbs at 58psi.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 08:25 PM   #12
smwalker

Drives: Caprice PPV
Here is the drive cycle testing from the service manual:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B9V...ew?usp=sharing

It says in there if one of them does not set look at the setting criteria for related DTC's " If any of the Inspection/Maintenance System Status display NO, refer to the Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) System DTC Table for the indicator which did not display YES. The Inspection/Maintenance System DTC Table identifies the DTCs associated with each Inspection/Maintenance System Status Indicator. Follow the Conditions for Running the DTC in order to set the associated status indicator."

Here is the two for the oxygen sensor:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BD0...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BFi...ew?usp=sharing

Towards the bottom of #1 it says to make sure certain conditions do not exist. One of them was "Lean or rich fuel injectors" So think you might be on the right track with going back to the stock injectors.
smwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 09:25 AM   #13
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
IDK if there is a smog thread. We might not want to say too much anyways but here is another bit of info. A test pipe aka no cats obviously won't pass a visual. If it looks like cats but e.g. hollowed it, it still won't make it because; the evap sensor doesn't explain great what all it takes to go ready. The info just says many things. What seems like happens before you get the front and rear O2 sensors and evap ready the cat monitor derived from the o2's will throw a code. In other words you "you cain't git there from here". Ok that slang won't make sense if you didn't grow up in the hills.
Someone I know...was trying to get down to 'one sensor not ready' to pass but if there are no cats I believe it can't be done. The ID 850s on stock tune might be done by the way. It runs ok and doesn't seem to throw codes just from that with some help I don't care to detail for the carb epa thank you very much.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:39 PM   #14
smwalker

Drives: Caprice PPV
@elsololobo02

Any update?
smwalker is offline   Reply With Quote