Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-14-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
ambientweather

Drives: 2011 Convertible 2SS
Will the 2011 Convertible Camaro Become a Collector Car?

I know you have all given this some thought. Do you think the 2011 Convertible Camaro will become a collector car 25 years down the road? I tend to think so, and here is my argument...

1. Limited production run. 2011 was a limited and short production run for the Vert. Chevy is already accepting orders for the 2012. Some colors like RJT have been discontinued because of the Japaneese quake.

2. Classic styling. As I read in a previous article, this car is "classic cool". Some cars look dated, but the 1967-69 still looks fresh. On the other hand, Gen4 (1993-2002) looks dated. Gen5 followed the styling of Gen1.

3. Transformers. The kids of this generation will be the collectors in 25 years, with disposable income.

4. Camaro Gen6. This is the big question. How long will Chevy produce this car until it begins to look stale in the eyes of the consumer.

My advice is to hang on to this car, even if there is a lot of pressure to sell in 10-20 years.
ambientweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #2
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientweather View Post
I know you have all given this some thought. Do you think the 2011 Convertible Camaro will become a collector car 25 years down the road? I tend to think so, and here is my argument...

1. Limited production run. 2011 was a limited and short production run for the Vert. Chevy is already accepting orders for the 2012. Some colors like RJT have been discontinued because of the Japaneese quake.

Orders start June 2 for 2012, production starts beginning of July with pricing released somewhere in between those dates... Unless you read somewhere OFFICIAL they bumped it up... I am looking to get a 2012 45th AE so I am in constant talks with the dealer...

2. Classic styling. As I read in a previous article, this car is "classic cool". Some cars look dated, but the 1967-69 still looks fresh. On the other hand, Gen4 (1993-2002) looks dated. Gen5 followed the styling of Gen1.

dont see how this would make it more valuable... the values of the 4th gens will come around... MAYBE in like 20 more years... MAYBE. Clean 3rd gens are finnaly starting to be something more than a mullet mobile

3. Transformers. The kids of this generation will be the collectors in 25 years, with disposable income.

dont count on it

4. Camaro Gen6. This is the big question. How long will Chevy produce this car until it begins to look stale in the eyes of the consumer.

It will be a while

My advice is to hang on to this car, even if there is a lot of pressure to sell in 10-20 years.

10-20 years it will be like a 4th gen... then it will move to a 3rd gen... then MAYBE in 40 years it will be worth "something".

I wouldn't count on ANY late model, mass produced car EVER being that much of a valuable collectable.... Sure people will collect them, but people also collect bottle caps... which if the EPA and OPEC and powers at be continue, gasoline cars will be less valuable than bottle caps in 40 years!

MORAL OF THE STORY: Drive the wheels off it... sure, take care of it but it wont matter if it has 20 or 200,000 miles on it... ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Yes the fact that 2011 is the first year of the return of the convertible is a plus, in addition to the fact of the short production run, but.......

I suspect you would need to keep it in pristine low-mileage condition for 25 years or so ideally if you want it to increase in value.
Are you going to be able to refrain from driving and enjoying it for that long?

I suppose if you could afford it, is to buy two. One to enjoy, and one to store.

I've been wanting one of these for the past 40 years since college. What are the odds I have the restraint to park it for 25 years more.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
Without Remorse

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS RJT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Yes the fact that 2011 is the first year of the return of the convertible is a plus, in addition to the fact of the short production run, but.......

I suspect you would need to keep it in pristine low-mileage condition for 25 years or so ideally if you want it to increase in value.
Are you going to be able to refrain from driving and enjoying it for that long?

I suppose if you could afford it, is to buy two. One to enjoy, and one to store.

I've been wanting one of these for the past 40 years since college. What are the odds I have the restraint to park it for 25 years more.
I think it will certainly always be desirable. This is the car that will be credited for "Putting GM back on the map". The styling is just incredible. Car people as well as non-car people can't help but admire. My hunch is that it will be a collector car......

But.....................That doesn't mean that it would pay off to buy one and store it for 30 years. In fact, I would say that would be a bad investment. When you look at the possible appreciation, even if I'm right, factor in inflation, storage costs, time value, etc. etc., you would be better off investing that money in the market.

So, my advice would be to buy one and drive the piss out of it. When you are ready to sell in 10, 15, or 20 years it should maintain its value pretty well. People will say "No, look at what the 10's are selling for used.....". That is a bad argument. There is not a car ever made or ever will be made that didn't have significant depreciation in year 2, 3, etc. How much do you think a '69 was worth in 1970 or 1971?

Without Remorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #5
RPO_Z28

Drives: 2007 C6Z
No.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
The 5th Gen Camaros will be about as collectible as the 05-09 Mustangs. Similar retro styling, both turned heads their first few years of production, similar production numbers, etc. They may hold their value a little better (depreciate slower) than the average car (RWD sports cars tend to), but if you are looking for an investment, this isn't it.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:40 AM   #7
orange-prince
QATAR 2022

Drives: black cts-V coupe a6
i don't think any car that run with "GAS" well be classic cuz after 20 or 25 years there is no gas or it well be so expensive so the answer is NO
orange-prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
united1

Drives: slpzl585vert.
I think it will hold it's value pretty well but it's not worth storing it with the intention of making money on it. Just drive it and try to take good care of it and it will still be worth money and the joy you get from driving it is priceless.
united1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #9
BlackVert

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3, Hurst - Del'd 4/19/11
Remember, the 1972 Vega was Motor Trend Car of the Year. At the time, it seemed like a good idea.

Similarly, I think time will show this as just another retro car release. Remember all the fanfare for the PT Cruiser? Now they are only driven by bad drivers on their way to Wal-Mart.
BlackVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #10
gaddied

Drives: camaro
I think it will. This is a muscle car not a PT cruiser or a Vega. When I was young the I also said who would want this 64 chevelle SS 20 years from now or a 69 ss camaro! I have owned a few cars in my day and let me tell you all are selling for BIG BUCKS! The Verts will bring good money over the years. Never say never is what I have learned over the years.
gaddied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #11
Camaro2SSLS3

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3 6 speed IOM/IOM
no. Drive it and enjoy it like it was made to do
Camaro2SSLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #12
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
A couple of factors for collectability, rareness and condition.

The convertible won't be "rare". There should easily be 10,000 plus 2011s on the road. Is there a rare option that would make your car 1 of 50? No, GM doesn't build cars with a clean sheet ordering process like they used to which could create some rare option. Does it have a rare powertrain? No. Having an option like the disc brake package which I understand is one of the differentiators between a $40,000 69 Z28 and a $100,000 Z28 isn't really possible today.

Condition. Well, as said above, you can store it, or you can drive it and restore it. But I can assure you most of the high dollar cars you see are barely getting the restoration costs back. Rebuilding a car from the body up is not a cheap proposition.

And lastly, you have to go 40 to 50 years, not 25 to get any real money. 25 years ago was 1986. How much does a low mileage mint 86 Camaro go for these days?

Lastly, even if you had all of the above going for you, you would still be far better of investing the cash than counting on your Camaro to provide a financial windfall.

Drive it and enjoy it.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #13
ambientweather

Drives: 2011 Convertible 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
A couple of factors for collectability, rareness and condition.

The convertible won't be "rare". There should easily be 10,000 plus 2011s on the road. Is there a rare option that would make your car 1 of 50? No, GM doesn't build cars with a clean sheet ordering process like they used to which could create some rare option. Does it have a rare powertrain? No. Having an option like the disc brake package which I understand is one of the differentiators between a $40,000 69 Z28 and a $100,000 Z28 isn't really possible today.

Condition. Well, as said above, you can store it, or you can drive it and restore it. But I can assure you most of the high dollar cars you see are barely getting the restoration costs back. Rebuilding a car from the body up is not a cheap proposition.

And lastly, you have to go 40 to 50 years, not 25 to get any real money. 25 years ago was 1986. How much does a low mileage mint 86 Camaro go for these days?

Lastly, even if you had all of the above going for you, you would still be far better of investing the cash than counting on your Camaro to provide a financial windfall.

Drive it and enjoy it.
Never implied I would store it for 20 years, I plan on driving the snot out of it but keeping it for a long time. It is never a good idea to buy a car and garage it, they are never great investments. I am just saying it should have a nice resale value. In Arizona, the weather is dry and the car is always garaged... they don't rust and require little restoration.
ambientweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #14
coolman

I believe that the only cars that have any chance of being collectable now a days are the ones that are very special and very limited production like the ZL1, GT500(2010 and up),ZR1 and Z06 vettes and other cars of this type ,but as far as the standard camaro whether it's a coupe or a convertible, I think most will end up being refrigerators and toasters.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote