Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
SolomonAKOO

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Cam shaft help?

So im looking at getting this cam shaft kit for my 2011 Camaro SS M6. is there anyone that has this kit or cam? If so how do you like it. Also i was wondering if anyone could help me with what pushrods and rocker arms i could use with this kit as they are not included in the kit. Thanks for the help and any input. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cc...make/chevrolet
Old 02-22-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Drives: stockish 2012 camaro ss
Pushrods aren't predetermined you have to have your engine builder measure them and rocker arms i personally went with just the trunion upgrade thinking bout later going with comp cams roller rocker arms
Nightmare2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #3
SolomonAKOO

Oh well I was planning on doing the install myself. And getting a tune from JRE. Guess it's not easy as that then huh.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
I would recommend replacing your oil pump while your in there as well as your chain tensioner. You also don't need to replace your lifters. Your OE LS3 lifters are fine. Have you looked at some other websites at there complete cam kits? Vengeance and Jennety have kits with everything you need and nothing you don't.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
SSMickey

A lot of the better builders have done there combos so often, they know what pushrod length to use. If your not going to go that route though, yes, you need to measure for the correct pushrod length after the install is done, then order the right ones.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:38 PM   #6
SolomonAKOO

Yeah I've looked at a few of the Jannety packages but that's about it. Who would you suggest as far as buying a complete package from?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
SSMickey

I only have personal experience with Vengeance Racing, so I'm biased, but I have heard nothing but good things about Jennety, especially his remote tuning.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:12 AM   #8
SolomonAKOO

Well I looked at the Vengeance racing LS3 cam kit plus and that looks like a hell of a deal. But what cam would you suggest if I want power from around 2000 rpms up to 6000. And also want great driveability since this is my daily driver.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:49 AM   #9
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
That cam won't do well with ls3 heads. 222/224 is better suited for cathedral ports.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:45 AM   #10
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Drives: stockish 2012 camaro ss
^ what he said that duration is alil too high for my liking if you want something aggressive but still driveable look at the night fury that what i went with and im just waiting on the install.
Nightmare2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:06 AM   #11
CAP'N B
Cajun Mariner

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/RS 15 Camaro Z/82 AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare2012 View Post
^ what he said that duration is alil too high for my liking if you want something aggressive but still driveable look at the night fury that what i went with and im just waiting on the install.
The duration on that cam is small for the LS3. Nightmare you must have been looking at the advertised duration . To compare apples to apples you need to look at the duration at .050. And then there are difference in lobe profiles so that may not be an equal comparison.

Last edited by CAP'N B; 02-25-2013 at 06:02 AM.
CAP'N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:34 AM   #12
Ucantctchme

Drives: 2010 ss. 1990 RS the faster one.
I installed the vengeance cam plus kit with their Kaotik cam. It's a little bigger than the night fury cam everyone talks about here. It makes great power and drives well. This is my daily driver. Vengeance also does remote tuning.
Vararam, XS Power longtubes and exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers, 1LE gears, Vengeance Racing spec'd comp cam with all supporting valvetrain upgrades, Melling Pump. QTP cutouts. 480rwhp.http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h179/ucantctchme/d5c3102c.jpg
Ucantctchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:41 AM   #13
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
OP that kit is no bueno it's a baby cam for an Ls1 or 5.3's in that area.

I've heard nothing but good things from the Ls3's about the nightfury cam.

As far as springs I've also heard about the Brian Tooley Platinum springs that have had a "0" fail rate for quite some time now.
http://www.briantooleyracing.com/660...retainers.html

As long as you don't mill the heads your pushrod length is gonna be a 7.4. You can get them all here as well.
http://www.briantooleyracing.com/pushrods/

As far as supporting mods what have you gotten so far?

Hope this helps.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #14
rahallfly

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I would look around at some of the build shops on here. There is a lot of talk going around with the Night fury and vengeance cams. they are larger cam. If you dont want something that large look for the intake duration somewhere around 225-227.

I have never put a cam in a car before 3 weeks ago. my brother has been in an LS engine a few times and we just put in the cam i got. I ordered the VVT2 package from Texas speed. (for the L99 obviously) I thought everything was a great deal and texas speed is very knowledgeable and could answer any questions. I had to go with new lifters to replace the Displacement on Demand lifters that allow it to cut down to 4cyl but you dont have too.

I did not do the trunion upgrade from comp cams, i am still debating it, but there were a few (just a few of all sold) problems with them.

I have the LS2 Block tensioner new that came with the package if you need one i can mail it to you but if you get a package it should come with.

And last, If you are mechanically inclined and know your way around an engine, you can do this install because robertway did a DIY on the LS3 that is amazing!!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125123

SHAKE ANNNNNNND BAKE!!!!!
rahallfly is offline   Reply With Quote