Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-25-2021, 02:38 PM   #1
COKen

Drives: '21 Camao SS, BMW 435i, M Roadster
Who is an enthusiast?

In many of the threads on this forum people talk about being enthusiasts and I started wonder what makes an enthusiast. I'm sure it has something to do with cars , but what activities do you do with your cars to make you an enthusiast?

You are an enthusiast if you:
  • Take your car down a drag strip.
  • Take your car around a track.
  • Participate in an autocross.
  • Put your car in a car show.
  • Modify your car.
  • Clean your car excessively.
  • Go on group drives.
I do think of myself as a car enthusiast and I have taken my cars to drag strips, tracks and I have participated in many autocrosses. I have modified my cars, but I have not been in a car show nor do I clean my cars excessively but I have been on many group drives.

I'm sure I missed many thing which make a car enthusiast, so please tell us why you are a car enthusiast and add more reasons to my list.
COKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:19 PM   #2
Invertalon

Drives: 2021 2SS
Sadly, I'm no enthusiast for cars, I just really like them!

Never did drag strip or track, autocross, car show or go on group drives. I do clean my car a bunch and will do some minor modifications. Would like to get to a track at some point in the future, though. I'm not into the whole 'cars and coffee' type scene, either.

Cars are a hobby for me, but probably not much more than that.

I am however an enthusiast for amusement parks, though. Girlfriend and I have traveled all across the US and Europe to primarily visit amusement/theme parks!
Invertalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:35 PM   #3
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
To me, you may be an enthusiast if:

-You instinctively smile, gawk or salivate when you see a sports car
-You chuckle or laugh when hearing a car rev up or drive by at WOT
-You got daaaaaaaayuuuuum when seeing a car take a corner (track hopefully!) at 1+ G

Conversely, you may not be an enthusiast if you shake your head disapprovingly when experiencing any of the above (like my wife )

Geoff
Jofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:37 PM   #4
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
I guess my point is, some people may not be able to afford doing driving events, or even afford the car, but they well may be enthusiasts all the same!

We're just lucky we can afford to do those

Geoff
Jofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:42 PM   #5
JoeCamaro444

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Hot Wheels Camaro
I’m definitely an enthusiast. I’ve owned 20 vehicles in my 28 years of driving. Most of them are sports/muscle cars. The others are Jeeps. I frequent car shows, and comment on cars almost everywhere I go. I have dragged a couple of my cars at NE Dragway in NH. I keep my cars super clean, and running as perfect as possible. I also modify most of my vehicles in some way. Anyone who knows me, would call me, at least, an enthusiast, if not a car nut. 🤘🏼😎
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
JoeCamaro444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:44 PM   #6
COKen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invertalon View Post
Sadly, I'm no enthusiast for cars, I just really like them!

Never did drag strip or track, autocross, car show or go on group drives. I do clean my car a bunch and will do some minor modifications. Would like to get to a track at some point in the future, though. I'm not into the whole 'cars and coffee' type scene, either.

Cars are a hobby for me, but probably not much more than that.

I think that makes you an car enthusiast.
Old 04-25-2021, 03:47 PM   #7
COKen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jofu View Post
I guess my point is, some people may not be able to afford doing driving events, or even afford the car, but they well may be enthusiasts all the same!

We're just lucky we can afford to do those

Geoff

YES! and I have met many of these people. I expect most will eventually become more hands on, but you can even be a car enthusiasts even without owning a car.
Old 04-25-2021, 03:58 PM   #8
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

Drives: 2020 red hot 1SS 1LE
A car enthusiast has an enthusiasm for cars. It’s that simple. I do track my car and do group drives... etc. but even if I didn’t I still love cars and will always be an enthusiast.
Venomcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:16 PM   #9
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
On top of the stuff listed.
I at one time had about 12 subscriptions to car magazines.
I went to school for auto and became a licensed mechanic.
Was doing cam swaps at 15.
I would like to think I’m an enthusiast
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:23 PM   #10
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
An automotive enthusiast is someone who has a passionate interest in cars, I definitely consider myself to be one. How ever you apply that passion is different for every person.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:45 PM   #11
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
In many of the threads on this forum people talk about being enthusiasts and I started wonder what makes an enthusiast. I'm sure it has something to do with cars , but what activities do you do with your cars to make you an enthusiast?

• Modify your car.
  • Go on group drives.
I do think of myself as a car enthusiast and I have taken my cars to drag strips, tracks and I have participated in many autocrosses. I have modified my cars, but I have not been in a car show nor do I clean my cars excessively but I have been on many group drives.

I'm sure I missed many thing which make a car enthusiast, so please tell us why you are a car enthusiast and add more reasons to my list.
I do the last 3 on the list.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:50 PM   #12
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

Drives: 2020 red hot 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLT1 View Post
I do the last 3 on the list.
Do you even own a Camaro?
Venomcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:06 PM   #13
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
  • Modify your car.
  • Go on group drives.

You're a car enthusiast if you love cars. You're a car enthusiast if you read car forums regularly.

I didn't do my first HPDE track day until 2007 and didn't take a car to a Cars & Coffee meet until 2016, but that doesn't mean I wasn't an enthusiast until then. I have been an enthusiast since I first started driving and bought my first car - a 1974 Z28.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:08 PM   #14
COKen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomcustom View Post
Do you even own a Camaro?

Do you need to own a Camaro to be an enthusiast?