Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / PA

Old 10-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
info re: Northrup / Old Watkins Glen RCA

I'm looking for information on my Grandmother's Brother, Richard C. Northrup, who used to work at Watkins Glen and had the '90 dedicated to him after his death in 1965. I'll paste the info and pictures I have below, from the Int'l Motor Racing Research center in Watkins Glen. Any additional info would be appreciated.

1: Checkered flag being removed from the Northrup stone by Joe Cerino (on the right) and Sherman Merling (on the left).

2: Photo of Northrup’s Corner stone at the time of dedication – 1965.

3: The benediction by Rev. William Cartmell (left), Mrs. Northrup and son, Richard E. Northrup (center) and Fred German (right) founder of the RCA.

4: Richard C. Northrup .. early 1960’s. Deputy Director of the Race Communications Association. Each red mark on his sleeve indicates a race meeting worked for the RCA. We count at least 49.

5: This information accompanied these images.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
Flashpoint135

Additional info:

The stone was removed when the track ws changed in the '70's. It was on display at the Glen Museum for some time, and is now in the care of the track historian.

I know he had his own "Race Car", but I don't know if it was a sporty street car or a track-only vehicle. Just a funny family story about him using a match to see if there was any gas left in the tank (with the expected results).
Old 10-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
sxty9GTO
VEGAS 11

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I've found several references to a Stuart E Northrup, any relation? Is it possible he co-owned a car?

Keep On Trucking
sxty9GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
Flashpoint135

I've never heard of a Stuart as a relation, but I know so little I guess anything is possible.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
Mrvnmartian

Drives: 2010 SGM 1LT (Manual)
You can try contacting the Watkins Glen Museum, http://www.racingarchives.org/ they might have some historical information they could share with you.
Mods: Flowmaster, Solar Gard Window Tint, Front Bowtie from Gary's Customs, Green LED dome & trunk lights from AAC, Painted calipers used G2 paint, Emblem Pro underhood bowtie, Stealth Bulb turn signals.
Mrvnmartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
Flashpoint135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrvnmartian View Post
You can try contacting the Watkins Glen Museum, http://www.racingarchives.org/ they might have some historical information they could share with you.
Thanks for responding - yes, they are the ones that gave me all that information in the first post, and I'll be there Saturday to talk to them further about this.