Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

View Poll Results: Future of Camaro: V8 Only...?
Yes 39 21.67%
No 141 78.33%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2018, 05:32 AM   #43
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingrinn View Post
"V6 is the absolute best bang for your buck"

so, if you could purchase an advanced AFM/VVT/DOD/etc. V8 for the very same price - you'd still choose the V6?

honestly (and this isn't targeted at any one particular member here), i'm not quite sure if this is some twilight zone episode or punkd…

seriously, a lot of the responses and supporting rationale to this post aren't quite like anything ever heard from muscle car/performance enthusiasts anywhere previously - welcome to the neu era? seems this model has lost a significant amount (not all...) its original demographic off to the competition and picked up some different minded buyers along the way? no wonder sales are down 36% year to year - a lot of the responses within this thread are testament to that...

7th Generation Camaro: Large Volume Low/Mid Price Range Front-Engine V8 Muscle Car (2+2 Seater)
8th Generation Corvette: Low Volume High Price Range Mid-Engine V8 Sports Car (2 Seater)

can only hope and pray this path is cleared up for marketing via team oppenheiser (and for that matter, team juechter) in time for 7th generation - if there is one at this point...
Neu era? LOL, more like realistic. If I recall correctly, the only time the Camaro didn't have a 6-cylinder option was from 2003-2009... when it wasn't in production. This has never been strictly an enthusiast car. Why some owners suddenly think it should be pigeonholed into a singular role with an even smaller potential buyer pool is beyond me. And then somehow think it's going to be large volume or cheap??

I too like to visit Fantasy Land... but I that's just when I got to Disney World.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)

Last edited by gpskinzhut; 07-10-2018 at 07:24 AM.
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:01 AM   #44
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Please don't.

The 2nd gen is an atrocity that should be left behind.
Much agreed!

For me, the V6 vert is the ideal car. I'd rather spend the extra money on the top instead of the V8, but the V6 gives a bit more power than the 4
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:01 AM   #45
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
As the band Starset said in their song It has begun ... "But everyone knows by now
Fairy tales are not found "

So stop thinking about possibilities like that because that will NOT happen.
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:26 AM   #46
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post
Neu era? LOL, more like realistic. If I recall correctly, the only time the Camaro didn't have a 6-cylinder option was from 2003-2009... when it wasn't in production. This has never been strictly an enthusiast car. Why some owners suddenly think it should be pigeonholed into a singular role with an even smaller potential buyer pool is beyond me. And then somehow think it's going to be large volume or cheap??

I too like to visit Fantasy Land... but I that's just when I got to Disney World.
This ^

A lot of people tend to forget that the mass volume of the car is the 4 and 6 cylinder models. I would bet a decent chunk of change a majority of those buyers don't care about performance, they care more about how the car looks.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #47
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
If there is a 7th gen Camaro it will offer lower cylinder/HP options. When the C8 goes mid engine, the upper level high HP models of the Camaro will take over somewhat where the C7 leaves off, but I still believe the C8 will have cheaper priced base models so the Camaro will not completely take over that area. Some Corvette buyers are not going to want a Camaro period! Doesn't matter what the Camaro offers, how much HP it has and what kind of performance numbers it puts up. There are some that will and have switched from a C7 to a Camaro already. Should be interesting in both next gens of the Camaro and Corvette, but I do think the Corvette will move upmarket, at least the higher HP models, to be taken seriously by some in the media and your average person who knows little about sports cars...even though us enthusiasts know the Z06 and ZR1 crush supercars that are 2 and 3 times its price.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:44 AM   #48
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
Some Corvette buyers are not going to want a Camaro period! Doesn't matter what the Camaro offers, how much HP it has and what kind of performance numbers it puts up.
Agreed. I don't care how fast or how much power a Camaro has, I would NEVER substitute a Camaro for a Corvette if the Corvette was what I wanted
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 07-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #49
02fbody35th

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Agreed. I don't care how fast or how much power a Camaro has, I would NEVER substitute a Camaro for a Corvette if the Corvette was what I wanted
I think a lot of people feel that way because the camaro starts out as a 4 or 6 cylinder rental and is built up from there. Where as the corvette is a exclusive “V8 only” sports car that is chevys golden child. If the corvette moves up to “super car” status and Chevy brings the camaro up to a sports car only status like the corvette currently is people might rethink the camaro. I’m just thinking outside the box here. In my opinion chevy has already taken the camaro into a world class sports car. But things can and will always continue to be bigger and better. And with the corvette moving up a notch in the food chain. I think camaro will too. Just my opinion
02fbody35th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:48 PM   #50
RedonBlackRS

Drives: 1LT RS 2.0T 8A HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fbody35th View Post
I think a lot of people feel that way because the camaro starts out as a 4 or 6 cylinder rental and is built up from there. Where as the corvette is a exclusive “V8 only” sports car that is chevys golden child. If the corvette moves up to “super car” status and Chevy brings the camaro up to a sports car only status like the corvette currently is people might rethink the camaro. I’m just thinking outside the box here. In my opinion chevy has already taken the camaro into a world class sports car. But things can and will always continue to be bigger and better. And with the corvette moving up a notch in the food chain. I think camaro will too. Just my opinion
And that would free up some space in the $20,000 market for this little bugger.
Not having to accommodate 325-width tires (and the associated heavy-duty suspension components) or a 19.5 gallon fuel tank could make for a roomier, more practical back seat/trunk vs the Camaro.
Just give it a good name, and it'll sell.
Attached Images

RedonBlackRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:20 PM   #51
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
"V6 is the absolute best bang for your buck"

so, if you could purchase an advanced AFM/VVT/DOD/etc. V8 for the very same price - you'd still choose the V6?

honestly (and this isn't targeted at any one particular member here), i'm not quite sure if this is some twilight zone episode or punkd…

seriously, a lot of the responses and supporting rationale to this post aren't quite like anything ever heard from muscle car/performance enthusiasts anywhere previously - welcome to the neu era? seems this model has lost a significant amount (not all...) its original demographic off to the competition and picked up some different minded buyers along the way? no wonder sales are down 36% year to year - a lot of the responses within this thread are testament to that...

7th Generation Camaro: Large Volume Low/Mid Price Range Front-Engine V8 Muscle Car (2+2 Seater)
8th Generation Corvette: Low Volume High Price Range Mid-Engine V8 Sports Car (2 Seater)

can only hope and pray this path is cleared up for marketing via team oppenheiser (and for that matter, team juechter) in time for 7th generation - if there is one at this point...
That's a really BIG IF.

You won't get the V8, and it's PERFORMANCE, for the same price as a V6.

The LT1 is very likely less expensive than the V6. DOHC engines are not cheap. 4 cam shafts and 24 valves vs 1 and 16. The machining alone drives the cost up not just the part count. What you are paying for is the HP/performance, not the number of cylinders. And GM won't be giving that away for free any time soon.

Simply put, if you want the Camaro to occupy the performance levels of the Corvette and omit any lower HP choices below the LT1 then the volumes tank. Volumes tank and the price goes up. And from an investment standpoint, a low volume Camaro off of Alpha1 or 2 is far worse than the Corvette. Tooling a fender in RIM vs stamping it in steel are very different equations.

Prediction, the base Camaro SS is now a $49,000 car. I hope you weren't counting on your V8 only Camaro being priced the same as today. That won't and can't happen.

If you want the Camaro to live a long life after the Gen6 then start a thread on how to get the car to a broader appeal, not smaller. GM really doesn't need two low volume, high price performance cars with the only difference being a useless rear seat.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:56 PM   #52
JhonnyGTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
That's a really BIG IF.

The LT1 is very likely less expensive than the V6. DOHC engines are not cheap. 4 cam shafts and 24 valves vs 1 and 16. The machining alone drives the cost up not just the part count. What you are paying for is the HP/performance, not the number of cylinders. And GM won't be giving that away for free any time soon.

Simply put, if you want the Camaro to occupy the performance levels of the Corvette and omit any lower HP choices below the LT1 then the volumes tank. Volumes tank and the price goes up. And from an investment standpoint, a low volume Camaro off of Alpha1 or 2 is far worse than the Corvette. Tooling a fender in RIM vs stamping it in steel are very different equations.

Prediction, the base Camaro SS is now a $49,000 car. I hope you weren't counting on your V8 only Camaro being priced the same as today. That won't and can't happen.

If you want the Camaro to live a long life after the Gen6 then start a thread on how to get the car to a broader appeal, not smaller. GM really doesn't need two low volume, high price performance cars with the only difference being a useless rear seat.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:07 AM   #53
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Quote:
I agree with most of this. However I've seen the useless rear seat opinion thrown out there way too much. My wife and two kids do plenty of trips in the Camaro. While leg room in the back seats is certainly not an asset, especially for adults, it's mere existence allows me to own this car.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:23 AM   #54
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fbody35th View Post
The problem with that is the Camaro will still be just a Camaro. It will still have the 4 or 6 cylinder options. It will never have the history or prestige of the Corvette IMO. The Corvette IS America's Sports Car. I don't care how fast/good/whatever the Camaro is, IMO it will never have that iconic status like the Corvette.

Quote:
That's a really BIG IF.

This guy gets it ^
Old 07-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #55
JhonnyGTR

Quote:
quite the loathsome character - and his... perspectives on the purpose and function of the automobile seem to be captured by the overwhelming sentiments here JhonnyGTR, so perfect fit there, nice find...
Sorry Odin, He has the Facts in his words
Old 07-11-2018, 04:14 PM   #56
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Does anyone really believe the Camaro would ever go to an all V8 line, and retain even close to the current price?

Really....anyone?

Lets just move on.