Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 07-25-2016, 12:08 PM   #715
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
So my next experiment is using dual Varimax pumps. I've not found anyone that has done that and I want to find out if it will help or not.

There are a lot of naysayers, but nothing with 'proof' by experiment -- just theory. So, if nothing else, I'll have a 'backup' pump, but I want to log temps to see what, if any, it will help. Since I increased my 'volume' of coolant with the large HX, want to see if the 90° elbows cause a bit of restriction or not.

Varimax is on order. I already have the wire harness so I can install that once I know where I'll hook this pump up...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:22 PM   #716
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

It hit 108° today so I took the car out to see how temps would do -- still working great! I'm still waiting on the Varimax (on national backorder) so wanting to add that and see what it will do...

Trans temps are fantastic. I looked at the Z/28 factory cooler:

Engine:

And how Other part of the cooler is attached:

Looking @ that, I just don't have room to run it with the Radiator, Condenser, HX and Trans cooler -- not too many options there.

Will keep looking. Since I'm going to track it and see how things go, just want to have a plan if the oil temps get into the 290's.

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 08-06-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:02 AM   #717
Mrbowtie26

Drives: 2015 CRT 1SS 1LE
Don,
First off congratulations on owning such an awesome car (with all of the hard work you've put into it) !!! I really appreciate and envy your attention to detail. I think I read through every page of this off and on the last few days but not sure if I missed anything. Im considering installing an adm stage 1 lsa supercharger on my ls3 and I'm debating from the start if I should have them install a smaller pulley on the snout. I think I'd be ok with 550 rwhp but who are we kidding everyone wants more at some point. The thing is I'm a little concerned with installing the supercharger and overboosting the engine with the stock compression as it sits from the factory. Also Im a bit concerned at my total cash outlay as buying the supercharger is a nice chunk of change. So a couple of questions if you have the time. Any idea if the stock CR on the ls3 will be an issue if I run lets say a 2.75 pulley if I have 2" primary LT headers with high flow cats and flowmasters in back ? (I know the exhaust will probably drip the amount of boost pressure slightly). Also will the stock lsa/zl1 injectors be sufficient for a 2.75 pulley being my car comes with the zl1 pump and I would plan on installing the adm fpcm ? Your opinion would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ron
Mrbowtie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:41 AM   #718
SoChrisB

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Don,
I actually run my tranny cooler below my intercooler. You can see it through the lower grill. Seems to work very well. Not sure if that is an option for you to free up some space. I can snap a few pics of you want.
SoChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:34 AM   #719
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoChrisB View Post
Don,
I actually run my tranny cooler below my intercooler. You can see it through the lower grill. Seems to work very well. Not sure if that is an option for you to free up some space. I can snap a few pics of you want.
Yes, that would be appreciated. Part of the problem is the cooler I'm looking @ goes all the way top to bottom ;o) -- that was the hard part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbowtie26 View Post
Don,
First off congratulations on owning such an awesome car (with all of the hard work you've put into it) !!! I really appreciate and envy your attention to detail. I think I read through every page of this off and on the last few days but not sure if I missed anything. Im considering installing an adm stage 1 lsa supercharger on my ls3 and I'm debating from the start if I should have them install a smaller pulley on the snout. I think I'd be ok with 550 rwhp but who are we kidding everyone wants more at some point. The thing is I'm a little concerned with installing the supercharger and overboosting the engine with the stock compression as it sits from the factory. Also Im a bit concerned at my total cash outlay as buying the supercharger is a nice chunk of change. So a couple of questions if you have the time. Any idea if the stock CR on the ls3 will be an issue if I run lets say a 2.75 pulley if I have 2" primary LT headers with high flow cats and flowmasters in back ? (I know the exhaust will probably drip the amount of boost pressure slightly). Also will the stock lsa/zl1 injectors be sufficient for a 2.75 pulley being my car comes with the zl1 pump and I would plan on installing the adm fpcm ? Your opinion would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ron
Thanks! I know I can be 'anal' about the details, but, I'd rather be precise ;o)

On the smaller pulley -- you'd really have to consider, injectors, adm FPCM along with your installed ZL1 Fuel Pump -- possible upgrading cooling too. More boost means more heat.

I have stock compression and I think you'll be fine! My suggestion is, install a 2 piece pulley (2.75) and keep it safe. ZL1 injectors should be fine for the 2.75 -- I think that is pretty close to the stock size (I think stock is 2.85).

Boost is a measure of restriction, the better the engine breaths, you'll boost will be lower -- that is ok!

You can always upgrade parts later, so, if you have any concerns, just do the Stage 1, 2 piece pulley (2.75) and go from there -- Andy has installed these on many LS3/1LE's with no problems. Now, HOW much HP is based on what you make before you install your kit. If you're @ say 385, you can expect right around 100-125 RWHP from the base kit/stock pulley. Some may be higher. If you decide to go more boost, then you'll need to consider an HX, Radiator, Varimax intercooler pump, possibly injectors too. These cars excel with this kit. LS3/1LE just love this setup.

I'd really suggest talking to Andy from ADM. Let him know what you'd really like to have and he will give you a game plan. Remember, modding always has its risks, so, mod as much as you're willing to accept.

I've found this setup to be very reliable and proven not just by myself, but many who've done the installs or had Andy do them. Remember, the kit from ADM is mostly factory parts -- expected to go the distance...

Thanks!

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 08-09-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #720
SoChrisB

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'll get you a picture later or first thing tomorrow, Don.
SoChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:44 PM   #721
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Thanks!

I see several places where it could be mounted (like the bottom of the bumper, but there is an oil cooler that can also go 'low' too. Investigating all options.

-Don
Old 08-09-2016, 04:49 PM   #722
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Well, Festivus for the RestOfUs (NCM Track day) was cancelled due to limited signups. Very disappointed

The folks who set it up worked very hard to get this going, including a sponsor, but lack of support via signups killed it. Shame, looked to be a ton of fun for all who would have done it.

Still, Appreciate all the work JOHNSONROD and his team did for us.

-Don
Old 08-10-2016, 08:17 AM   #723
Mrbowtie26

I've decided to go with the 2.75 pulley and have him include the 2.50 so I can swap out to that if I need to later. I also decided to go with the 65 lb injectors along with the adm fpcm. My car actually dyno'd at 387/387 stock with 550 miles on Janetti racings dyno (not sure what kind of dyno they have). So Im curious with the 2" primary LT headers, and full 3" all the way back through flowmasters (Im probably gonna punch out the cats) what my hp numbers will be with the 2.75 pulley along with adm's CAI. Any ideas ? I'm hoping for 550+
Thanks
P.s. will the 65lb injectors probably be good for the 2.50 pulley (I think they're good for around 650rwhp ish) ?
Old 08-10-2016, 11:21 AM   #724
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Yep 65# should be good (I think those are the 850cc). IF you get the max from that setup (150 RWHP I believe with CAI) you'll be close to 540 or over -- it all depends on the tune really.

If you get the low end, it will add 100 to 125 RWHP so that would be about 500+, but, you're running the 2 piece 2.75 pulley so you should see more from that.

To get to 650, that will likely need a cam with springs and push-rods.

I would say, don't get hung up on the 'dyno' numbers, the car will run awesome. So many things can affect a '10 rwhp' difference so look @ what you gained from base dyno to after install dyno. I know one thing, once you've done that, you'll do upgrades to max out the beast. I've seen several 1LE's with the BTR cam go 660+ rwhp. Those 1LE's love this kit (and the BTR cam too ;o). You can use the stock LS3 heads -- they flow great btw. If you REALLY want to change them out -- then get the GMPP CNC heads and just drop them on (of course, changing out the valve springs).

You're boost may be lower due to the 2" and pipes -- if the engine breaths, that is a good thing! See what you get, then, if necessary, drop the 2.50 pulley on and re-tune! Looks like you'll have all you need to do that! If you do the 2.50 pulley, look for a 'green-belt' -- those tend to slip less...

I took mine out in this 100° heat last night and it just runs awesome. Where you are, you'll fine it will perform excellent...

ENJOY! You'll love the kit...

-Don
Old 08-10-2016, 11:56 AM   #725
Mrbowtie26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Yep 65# should be good (I think those are the 850cc). IF you get the max from that setup (150 RWHP I believe with CAI) you'll be close to 540 or over -- it all depends on the tune really.

If you get the low end, it will add 100 to 125 RWHP so that would be about 500+, but, you're running the 2 piece 2.75 pulley so you should see more from that.

To get to 650, that will likely need a cam with springs and push-rods.

I would say, don't get hung up on the 'dyno' numbers, the car will run awesome. So many things can affect a '10 rwhp' difference so look @ what you gained from base dyno to after install dyno. I know one thing, once you've done that, you'll do upgrades to max out the beast. I've seen several 1LE's with the BTR cam go 660+ rwhp. Those 1LE's love this kit (and the BTR cam too ;o). You can use the stock LS3 heads -- they flow great btw. If you REALLY want to change them out -- then get the GMPP CNC heads and just drop them on (of course, changing out the valve springs).

You're boost may be lower due to the 2" and pipes -- if the engine breaths, that is a good thing! See what you get, then, if necessary, drop the 2.50 pulley on and re-tune! Looks like you'll have all you need to do that! If you do the 2.50 pulley, look for a 'green-belt' -- those tend to slip less...

I took mine out in this 100° heat last night and it just runs awesome. Where you are, you'll fine it will perform excellent...

-Don
Im in CT so fortunately I don't have to deal with the heat like you do.. thanks for the input appreciate it.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:56 PM   #726
wrtowman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbowtie26 View Post
I've decided to go with the 2.75 pulley and have him include the 2.50 so I can swap out to that if I need to later. I also decided to go with the 65 lb injectors along with the adm fpcm.
P.s. will the 65lb injectors probably be good for the 2.50 pulley (I think they're good for around 650rwhp ish) ?
Quote:

-Don
The FAST65 are 683CC and FAST85 are 960CC. If you are getting them from Andy it is just a $100 upgrade and it will be piece of mind for maxing out the LSA(without E85) later with no worries. I tend to defer to Don with this LSA thing since he wrote the book but I also like to spend money. lol
2011 SGM Camaro 1SS/RS A6 - Vengeance Racing built/tuned. 590RWHP/560RWTQ, ADM LSA Conversion, 2.5 Grip-Tec, ZL1 fuel pump, ADM FPCM, FIC1000, VRPD2 Cam and LS3 Conversion with all the internal goodies, American Racing 1 7/8 Headers, no cats, SW Retro Cat Back, ADM Intake, AFCO HX, Varimax Pump, Rotofab Reservoir, B&M Transmission Cooler, VMAX TB, Elite Engineering CC, BMR LCAs, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, DSS 1000hp axles, ZL1 Bumper and Sideskirts, Night Owl Halos, Matte Black 20" Rohana RC-22 with 20x10-275s/20x11-315s, R1 Concept Premier Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.
wrtowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #727
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Yep FAST 85 are what I was thinking about. 850cc or over. If he is not going too far over 600RWHP I believe the 65# are good. I have the factory ZL1's and right at 600rwhp with injector left...

If you KNOW you will want 650 or more, verify with Andy. I believe the 65# will work up to that level...

I agree though, try and do it right the first time...

Let's be honest though, I've done one, Andy has done hundreds. Andy is the man on these LSA kits ;o)

-Don
Old 08-10-2016, 03:41 PM   #728
Mrbowtie26

Quote:
Yep FAST 85 are what I was thinking about. 850cc or over. If he is not going too far over 600RWHP I believe the 65# are good. I have the factory ZL1's and right at 600rwhp with injector left...

If you KNOW you will want 650 or more, verify with Andy. I believe the 65# will work up to that level...

I agree though, try and do it right the first time...

Let's be honest though, I've done one, Andy has done hundreds. Andy is the man on these LSA kits ;o)

-Don

Is there any disadvantages with going to the larger injectors right off the bat if they're not needed as far as more difficulty tuning or anything ?