Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-14-2017, 02:35 PM   #1
Inspiro

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
TSP VVT 1.2 vs GPI SS1

Hi guys

I'm ready to order VVT cam(AFM will be deleted) for my daily driver L99
Apparently many here are happy with GPI, the point is that what is advertised about the new TSP cams looks impressive
I'm located in Dubai, so I cannot visit either, I'm looking for a quality cam with big gains and a shop that is willing to provide the data and support required for tuning the VVT
What-from your experience- are the pros and cons with going with one shop vs. the other?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Inspiro; 07-14-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Inspiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:03 PM   #2
Rob Russell

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS L99
I'm stuck in this same boat as you are. I'm not in Dubai and am fairly close to TSP's shop, but I know GPI has phenomenal vvt cams. I've seen the dyno sheets with TSP new vvt cams but I would love to know the difference in the two as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #3
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
I'm thrilled with GPI. You'll be VERY happy with their VVT SS1. I have it in mine right now and it has performed flawlessly --

The VVT core is a 5150 -- its the only core used for VVT cams. TSP would have to use these for VVT -- the difference is in the grind, GPI has this process down. I can't speak for TSP as I chose GPI based on Ryan Stevens (Rhino79), he is outstanding with VVT and knows how to tune them. I have used GPI for the last 4 years, and just had them (Ryan) tune my E85 conversion this week. GPI is also building my forged engine. Can't speak any higher of them.

Contact GPI, they'll let get you all the info you need.

But, like I said, I looked into TSP and GPI, and chose GPI since they not only grind these cams, they know how to tune them too! Ryan is the guy and I really trust him. if you personally saw how he works the tunes, you'd would not chose anyone else -- he is that engaged into the tuning process. I've personally seen his throughness on not just my car, but others at GPI...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:03 PM   #4
GRNFLSH

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS Green Flash Edition
I have GPI's VVT SS1 cam, CNC heads, and rod mod intake. Dyno'd at 455/418 on the stock converter and drives great, just a little choppy at idle which I expected. I'm sold on their quality and service.

For me one of the benefits of GPI within driving distance is getting Ryan to tune your car, he pays attention to the details and doesn't rush through it. I've seen other post about Ryan doing remote tunes but I only did this for a startup tune only.
BTR .660 springs, Straub solid bushing trunions
GPI rod-mod intake with I-M heat sheild
Circle D 258mm Pro single disc 3700 rpm stall converter
169F thermostat & manual fan switch
Tuned by Ryno at GPI - 455 RWHP / 416 lb-ft
GRNFLSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:56 PM   #5
RedTexasSS

Drives: 2012 SS Red w/ black rally stripes
About 3 years ago I felt the need for more power. I talked to TSP and I talked to GPI about camshafts. After talking to Aaron at GPI, I felt very good about going for the cam and buying it from GPI. GPI supplied everything I needed to do the install and at a very good price. I have HP tuners and Ryan remote tuned it for me. All I can say is those guys are awesome. I installed the SS1 VVT camshaft and drive it with the stock converter, it behaves very well in daily driving. It makes great power and just sounds nasty. Just recently I felt the need for more power again. I just purchased the Mangnuson Heartbeat from GPI. Again, Aaron fixed me up with everything I needed to install the supercharger. He spec'd upgraded injectors and a different pulley. I am currently working the tune out with Ryan. Their camshafts are proven and the guys are great to work with. It will transform your car into a beast.
2012 SS Camaro, Victory Red w/black rally stripes, SLP front splitter, ZL1 Rocker panels, ZL1 Add-ons Stealth Wickerbill, L99, Magnuson Heartbeat supercharger, 65 lb. injectors, 87 mm pulley, ZL1 fuel pump, ADM FPCM,1 7/8 Texas Speed long tube headers, v-max ported throttle body, Rotofab cold air intake with Apex scoop, Apex catch can, MSD plug wires, AEM AFR and Boost gauges, GPI SS1 VVT Cam, HP tuners with remote tune by Ryan at GPI, Solo axleback exhaust w/j pipes and stock resonator.
RedTexasSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:55 AM   #6
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
If your looking for larger gains larger grinds are a must///////////////and a converter
Old 07-15-2017, 02:07 PM   #7
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
I daily the GPI VVT SS3 in Chicago traffic.

I had a buddy who did the SS1, made 455 on load dyno. Had nice lope. That's almost a 100 rwhp gain from stock.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:23 AM   #8
Inspiro

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
I'm thrilled with GPI. You'll be VERY happy with their VVT SS1. I have it in mine right now and it has performed flawlessly --

I can't speak for TSP as I chose GPI based on Ryan Stevens (Rhino79), he is outstanding with VVT and knows how to tune them.

If you personally saw how he works the tunes, you'd would not chose anyone else -- he is that engaged into the tuning process. I've personally seen his throughness on not just my car, but others at GPI...

-Don
This is very important for me as I want to tune it myself, but knowing that someone knowledgeable is there to support their product makes a big difference no doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNFLSH View Post
I have GPI's VVT SS1 cam, CNC heads, and rod mod intake. Dyno'd at 455/418 on the stock converter and drives great, just a little choppy at idle which I expected. I'm sold on their quality and service.

For me one of the benefits of GPI within driving distance is getting Ryan to tune your car, he pays attention to the details and doesn't rush through it. I've seen other post about Ryan doing remote tunes but I only did this for a startup tune only.
Remote tune is very good news for me; as far as I've checked around here, no body is really willing to play with the VVT
Not to mention I already have the hptuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTexasSS View Post
About 3 years ago I felt the need for more power. I talked to TSP and I talked to GPI about camshafts. After talking to Aaron at GPI, I felt very good about going for the cam and buying it from GPI. GPI supplied everything I needed to do the install and at a very good price. I have HP tuners and Ryan remote tuned it for me. All I can say is those guys are awesome. I installed the SS1 VVT camshaft and drive it with the stock converter, it behaves very well in daily driving. It makes great power and just sounds nasty. Just recently I felt the need for more power again. I just purchased the Mangnuson Heartbeat from GPI. Again, Aaron fixed me up with everything I needed to install the supercharger. He spec'd upgraded injectors and a different pulley. I am currently working the tune out with Ryan. Their camshafts are proven and the guys are great to work with. It will transform your car into a beast.
That is fantastic, enjoy it mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
If your looking for larger gains larger grinds are a must///////////////and a converter
Let's keep that for the next stage(aka non daily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
I daily the GPI VVT SS3 in Chicago traffic.

I had a buddy who did the SS1, made 455 on load dyno. Had nice lope. That's almost a 100 rwhp gain from stock.
I can't ask for more, any idea what are the supporting mods?
Inspiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:00 AM   #9
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
GO GPI, they are proven cams!
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:08 PM   #10
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
He has long tubes, cold air, tune.

I can't ask for more, any idea what are the supporting mods?[/QUOTE]
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:38 PM   #11
Ashen 6.2

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
GPI here as well. Great knowledge, customer service, reputation and price is right as well.

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, RPM 5” CAI, Kooks Headers, Solo Cat Back, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Ashen 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:04 PM   #12
RedTexasSS

Drives: 2012 SS Red w/ black rally stripes
I didn't feel comfortable with my local tuners tuning mine after the VVT cam was installed. I purchased the cam from GPI, I have HP tuners, Ryan remote tuned mine. I only had to send him a couple of logs for him to dial it in. It runs great and has performed flawlessly for over two years. Don't worry a remote tune. Ryan knows his stuff.
2012 SS Camaro, Victory Red w/black rally stripes, SLP front splitter, ZL1 Rocker panels, ZL1 Add-ons Stealth Wickerbill, L99, Magnuson Heartbeat supercharger, 65 lb. injectors, 87 mm pulley, ZL1 fuel pump, ADM FPCM,1 7/8 Texas Speed long tube headers, v-max ported throttle body, Rotofab cold air intake with Apex scoop, Apex catch can, MSD plug wires, AEM AFR and Boost gauges, GPI SS1 VVT Cam, HP tuners with remote tune by Ryan at GPI, Solo axleback exhaust w/j pipes and stock resonator.
RedTexasSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:35 PM   #13
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
I would vote GPI for proven cams and great customer service.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:13 PM   #14
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I have a gpi ss1 camshaft as well. Ryan did a remote tune for me and had it dialed in on the first try. His tuning is pretty incredible. Only thing I would suggest is going with a high end lifter. I used the gm performance racing lifters and they are kinda noisy in my engine. But other than that it runs awesome.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote