Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-26-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
factory 20" rim F/R interchangeability

Sorry if this was posted before...

Is the factory 20" interchangeable between front/rear? Are there inside/outside clearance problems with F/R rim offsets? Will 20x9(rear) stick beyond fender on front?

Looking at daily driving options for rotations and possible use of 20" as a spare tire.

thanks
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
PolishMike

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Havent tried it but I would think the 20x9's on the front would rub when turned (if they even go on). I would warn against even trying this as it could prove dangerous.

A 20x8 spare would probably work fine on the back (assuming correct offset) to get you home.
PolishMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
I was thinking of doing the same thing. Does anyone have the specs?
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I know the Hennesy Camaro had 275s up front, and 9 inches is about the wheel width you want to fit that size tire, so perhaps it does work. I want to go 275s all the way around.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:20 AM   #5
Hesh

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro Vin 34334
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
I know the Hennesy Camaro had 275s up front, and 9 inches is about the wheel width you want to fit that size tire, so perhaps it does work. I want to go 275s all the way around.

Yep was thinking when mine gets here to go to some junkyards and look for another set of rears for the front of mine. Yes they should fit. I think it was a post by Pedders that verified this.
Hesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
jpsuperman81
Yep I'm back!

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 1SS 1LE
The stock tires on the camaro are unidirectional and cannot be rotated, not sure about the rim if you put a different tire on it.
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
(quote from ADM Performance)
"Our rears are 12.4" wide and fronts are 10.94" wide"

The offsets on stock 20"wheels...
8" front 35mm
9" rear 40mm

Looks like it should work fine.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:20 PM   #8
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
(quote from ADM Performance)
"Our rears are 12.4" wide and fronts are 10.94" wide"

The offsets on stock 20"wheels...
8" front 35mm
9" rear 40mm

Looks like it should work fine.
If it works, one could run 9" 275 all around and rotate Fr to R. May need to try it when the car comes in to check for scrubbing or tire sticking out from fender. Then use 8" 245 as a spare for Fr or R.

Or use the original as spares if upgrade rims. I would hate to have the car towed to chevy dealer after hours for flats. I don't like fix-a-flat and may not be able to plug bad punctures. I wonder if the full size 20"x8 will fit in trunk with compact jack?

Rather have wife drive me out my spare and swap it out. Who needs AAA when you got wives?
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
mion2001
My Upgraded Life

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Along that idea, I was thinking about maybe trading someone 2 front or 2 rears so I could have same all around. I don't care too much as long as I can keep the RS wheels. Still not sure if the rears would rub on the front. I have to do something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting808 View Post
If it works, one could run 9" 275 all around and rotate Fr to R. May need to try it when the car comes in to check for scrubbing or tire sticking out from fender. Then use 8" 245 as a spare for Fr or R.

Or use the original as spares if upgrade rims. I would hate to have the car towed to chevy dealer after hours for flats. I don't like fix-a-flat and may not be able to plug bad punctures. I wonder if the full size 20"x8 will fit in trunk with compact jack?

Rather have wife drive me out my spare and swap it out. Who needs AAA when you got wives?
Old 10-25-2009, 09:32 PM   #10
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Ok, I just put 2 rear tires/wheels - 20"x8" on the front. been running this way for over a week now. There are no issues with rubbing at all. I looked at the tires for an arrow that would denote direction but did not see one. My plan was to rotate front to rear. However, other than the tire indicating which is "outside" there is no direction. So, same question as above, are they unidirectional? Can I swap left to right also?

Thanks,
Michael J.
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:53 PM   #11
mion2001
My Upgraded Life

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
I am now running 20X8's (fronts) all the way around and I plan to rotate front to back. The way I understand you can go front to back but not side to side.

Tirerack.com's explanation:

Directional (Unidirectional) Tread Patterns
A directional (also called a unidirectional) tread pattern is designed to roll in only one direction. It incorporates lateral grooves on both sides of the tire’s centerline that point in the same direction and result in v-shaped tread blocks. These grooves enhance hydroplaning resistance at high speeds by pumping water more efficiently through the tread pattern. Unless they are dismounted and remounted on their wheels to accommodate use on the other side of the vehicle, directional tires are to be used on one side of the vehicle and are intended to be rotated from the front axle to the rear axle. If different tire sizes are used on the front vs. rear axle, the tires become location-specific and prohibit tire rotation unless remounted.

Hope that helps.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Ok, I just put 2 rear tires/wheels - 20"x8" on the front. been running this way for over a week now. There are no issues with rubbing at all. I looked at the tires for an arrow that would denote direction but did not see one. My plan was to rotate front to rear. However, other than the tire indicating which is "outside" there is no direction. So, same question as above, are they unidirectional? Can I swap left to right also?

Thanks,
Michael J.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:06 AM   #12
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
This will be a great way to use up all the spare wheels on ebay.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:47 AM   #13
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
well I am in a similar boat. I plan in the future buying a second set of rear wheels when its time to put new meat on....but put all four the same size and just put rears all the way around, yes the fit......just going to run 275 all the way around on the stock polished 20's.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:52 AM   #14
deljaso

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mion2001 View Post
I am now running 20X8's (fronts) all the way around and I plan to rotate front to back. The way I understand you can go front to back but not side to side.

Tirerack.com's explanation:

Directional (Unidirectional) Tread Patterns
A directional (also called a unidirectional) tread pattern is designed to roll in only one direction. It incorporates lateral grooves on both sides of the tire’s centerline that point in the same direction and result in v-shaped tread blocks. These grooves enhance hydroplaning resistance at high speeds by pumping water more efficiently through the tread pattern. Unless they are dismounted and remounted on their wheels to accommodate use on the other side of the vehicle, directional tires are to be used on one side of the vehicle and are intended to be rotated from the front axle to the rear axle. If different tire sizes are used on the front vs. rear axle, the tires become location-specific and prohibit tire rotation unless remounted.

Hope that helps.

Joe

The P-zeros on my RS aren't unidirectional.
Look for the "rotation ->" arrow on the tires, it's not there.
Then look at your right vs. left tires, you'll see that the tread is flipped on one side, meaning they are the same tire.
deljaso is offline   Reply With Quote