Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-15-2009, 11:20 AM   #71
binlow84

Drives: '10 Camaro, IBM 2LT/RS
For what it's worth, just last night I went to run my jeans through a 2nd cycle in the dryer and heard a horrible knocking sound when I turned it back on. I opened the door to find my keys (with fob) sitting on top of the clothes. They went through the entire wash cycle and a full dry cycle. I was sure that the fob was ruined but amazingly I ran outside to test it out and the thing still worked. Granted, salt water would be a totally different story...... But if you ever go fresh water surfing just take out the battery before you go and don't put it back in until fully dry and you should be fine .
binlow84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #72
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
Not a bad idea. Thanks for that one.

I'll definitely try the dealer parts department but was just wondering if anyone knew. I know some people have said that these keys are lazer cut or something and potentially super expensive. I guess I'll be the first one to find out heh.
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:23 PM   #73
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Is the Camaro the first GM car to have the switchblade type key?
Old 06-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #74
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
Is the Camaro the first GM car to have the switchblade type key?
Don't think it's the first but one of the first. I think the G8 has a switchblade as well.

Google turned up this somewhat funny post...

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2...b-follies.html
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:34 PM   #75
camarossrs2150

Drives: abm2ssrs
i just called my brother in law he is a lock smith .yes the key can be made just for your door .your local locksmith can not make it unless he has the gm key computer program and blanks
Old 06-15-2009, 04:51 PM   #76
omegaman

Drives: very poorly
Send a message via AIM to omegaman
Contacted a Dealer Parts Dept. - Only key with transmitter available

Quote:
Anybody?

I just contacted the parts department of a large dealer in the Phoenix metro area. Amazingly, NO valet key or transmitter-less key is available through GM for the 2010 Camaro.

Parts guy also says key is "laser cut" and can only be obtained from GM - no private locksmith shop will be able to fabricate a replacement key.

Note to self: even my lowly Civic has a valet key. Maybe I can buy replacement Camaro key/transmitter fob, and then smash key fob leaving only the key?
Old 06-15-2009, 05:54 PM   #77
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
I just contacted the parts department of a large dealer in the Phoenix metro area. Amazingly, NO valet key or transmitter-less key is available through GM for the 2010 Camaro.

Parts guy also says key is "laser cut" and can only be obtained from GM - no private locksmith shop will be able to fabricate a replacement key.

Note to self: even my lowly Civic has a valet key. Maybe I can buy replacement Camaro key/transmitter fob, and then smash key fob leaving only the key?
Well that sucks. That's what I was afraid of. Sounding like an expensive proposition for something so seemingly simple.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:57 PM   #78
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:

That's displeasing to hear...Sigh...
Old 06-15-2009, 05:59 PM   #79
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT-Maro View Post
ok this is what you do when you go to the beach like a box of crackers ...with food in it and put your key in a zip-loc bag and put it in the box and under a towel there you go problem solved!! (I hope!!) I dont think someone would go look in a box of crackers for your key!! hahaha
Mmmmmmmmmm- hate to say it but I'm usually hungry and so I'd be rummaging thru your stuff looking for food and beer....

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:07 PM   #80
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
I* talk to my car, and it opens the door for me.

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:14 PM   #81
omegaman

Drives: very poorly
Send a message via AIM to omegaman
Quote:
Well that sucks. That's what I was afraid of. Sounding like an expensive proposition for something so seemingly simple.
OK. I think this needs to be said. This kind of design oversight is what is wrong with GM, and American car manufacturers in general. Contemporary foreign car manufacturers and transplants don't make this kind of obvious mistake. You would think that with nearly 100 years of car manufacturing experience, GM would get inside a customer's head and anticipate his/her needs. Maybe the 'New GM' will be different.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #82
camarossrs2150

Drives: abm2ssrs
Quote:

dont believe anything you hear from a dealer . all my friends are the biggest assholes when it comes to customers on the phone . first off these guys dont know anything about this car . i asked a friend to get me a pillar clip and they are not in stock or dont know when . im just saying if its been made its out there . my brother in law is a lock smith and he has the machine with gm codes . he needs to get a supply of the key blank he will let me know in the next couple of days . i will let you guys know what i find out . also gm told me air intake wont be out for about 6 months .. i f you really need a key for valet just buy an extra set up and break the key off .yes might be expensive but it will work
Old 06-15-2009, 06:58 PM   #83
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
OK. I think this needs to be said. This kind of design oversight is what is wrong with GM, and American car manufacturers in general. Contemporary foreign car manufacturers and transplants don't make this kind of obvious mistake. You would think that with nearly 100 years of car manufacturing experience, GM would get inside a customer's head and anticipate his/her needs. Maybe the 'New GM' will be different.
I honestly think there has to be a way to get a valet key. GM may have just made it hard to obtain...
Old 06-15-2009, 07:12 PM   #84
Blue Joe

Drives: 2010 IBM/1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
I sure hope a normal key can be cut and work!!! I am always locking my keys in the car. I have had an extra key for my wallet for years. Only to unlock the door. Will not start car.
How can you lock your keys in the car if you lock it with the remote at all times?
Blue Joe is offline   Reply With Quote